Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

lilydale, any ideas?

lilydale, any ideas?

Old May 30th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

lawrenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lilydale, any ideas?

What is Lilydale like. It is not one of the popular destinations as it is not near the beach, although it has a lake! does anyone have experience of it re. schools, facilities, housing, atmosphere etc.?
thanks
Lawrenson
Old May 30th 2006, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lilydale, any ideas?

Originally Posted by lawrenson
What is Lilydale like. It is not one of the popular destinations as it is not near the beach, although it has a lake! does anyone have experience of it re. schools, facilities, housing, atmosphere etc.?
thanks
Lawrenson
Outer Melbourne suburb. I'm old enough to remember trips to the country at Lilydale and beyond when they weren't part of the built up area. The 'burbs quickly expanded out towards Lilydale and beyond from the 60's/70's onwards as a lot of people, particularly young families sought a 'Green Change'.

As you say it is a long way from the sea and CBD and I would reckon it's of the order of an hour by car or slightly less by train to the city. On the other hand in the other direction you have ready access to lovely countryside and semi-rural areas in the Yarra Valley, the Dandenongs and beyond.

I would have said the property is very affordable and a quick check of the latest Melbourne property price guide confirms this. Houses average around $375K in all of Melbourne, spot on $300K in Lilydale. It has a good shopping centre, train station and plenty of schools and being popular with first home buyers, young families etc I would reckon there are good amenities.

Me, I'm a 'Sea Changer', come from and returning to Williamstown on the bay!

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Guides.aspx - click on download your 2006 Melbourne Property Guide.

OzTennis
Old May 30th 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

have PMd you

Lisa.xx
Old May 30th 2006, 9:11 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I grew up in Coldstream just up the road and attended Lilydale High School.
It was a great place to live and loved my childhood there. The school was good, and visited there in April. It is just the same with a few more classrooms.
The houses near central Lilydale date back to early 1900's (weatherboards) with the Lilydale Lake area being on the side of a hill overlooking Lilydale.
It is in a kind of valley Lilydale Lakes on one side and the hill up to Chirnside Park on the other.
Oz Tennis has given a good description, the house prices and general area. I left 15 years ago and it has hardly changed, except the new wineries towards Healesville.
There is a good train service to CBD and a really good variety of shops along a very long main street.
I could bore you to death, so pm me if you have any other questions
J x
Old May 30th 2006, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

our kids are 17 15 & 13 and wonder what it would be like for them to be there. what is there for them to do? shops, cinema, leisure centre, swimming etc.?
17 year old is hoping to go to Uni, how far away could that be? not that we want to get rid of her!!!
what are schools like? do you know anything about Glenvale?
I don't really know enough about it to ask the right questions! so any info will be useful.
thanks
Lawrenson
Old May 30th 2006, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunatley and contrary to popular belief the stats for living out in the outer eastern 'Burbs paint a different picture to what is generally perceived to be.

Lilydale is 2nd only to Pakenham as the most dangerous train line to travel on in Melbourne. I would not let unsupervised children of mine travel on those lines.

Rail crime wave
Liam Houlihan, transport reporter
24apr06

DOZENS of passengers are bashed every week and sex attacks on public transport have jumped, as crime hits Melbourne's trams, trains and buses.

Exclusive figures also reveal that station car parks are increasingly a prowler's paradise, with 1200 vehicles stolen from the dimly lit zones last year -- an average of 23 each week.

The rail crime wave comes as more than half the network comprises unstaffed "ghost stations", and more than two-thirds are staffed only part-time.

Commuters in the city loop and on the dangerous Lilydale and Pakenham lines remain most at risk of being bashed, molested or abducted. Frankston and St Albans trains are among the worst for drug, theft and vandalism offences.

A Herald Sun investigation has found that the lines with the lowest station staffing also have the biggest crime problems.

Nine passengers were raped and 168 sexually assaulted last year as sex crime on the network increased dramatically.

There were 870 bashings on or near trams, trains and buses, 800 vandals caught by police, 222 drug offences and 172 weapons offences.

Revelations of the criminal conditions commuters have to tolerate on journeys to work, school and home follow a series of recent horrors on the city's network, including:

THE alleged rape in broad daylight of a woman on a city-bound train in December.

A YOUNG father stabbed to death by a stranger at Box Hill station in February.

A NEAR fatal iron bar attack on a teenager at Footscray station just a month after local residents and businesses pleaded with transport heads for better lighting, cameras and security.

THE late night bashing at Blackburn station last month of a 66-year-old man who came to Melbourne from his NSW home to volunteer for the Commonwealth Games.

The three lines with the highest crime rates had twice as many fully unstaffed "ghost" stations as the three safest lines.

The crime figures have prompted the rail union to demand more station staff and patrolling officers.

"This situation is clearly unacceptable. People don't feel safe on public transport and these figures back up their concerns," said Trevor Dobbyn, secretary of the Rail, Tram and Bus Union.

"This is a big issue. The Government needs to commit to putting full-time staff back in at least half of Melbourne's stations before the next election."

The union argues that increases in the number of rail officers have failed to keep up with rising commuter numbers.

The state's peak automobile group called for extra cameras, lighting and patrols in the city's theft-riddled station car parks.

As well as the 1200 car thefts, another 1500 vehicles parked at stations were broken into last year.

"People should have a reasonable degree of confidence they can safely leave their car to get public transport," said Dr Ken Ogden, RACV's public policy manager.

Rail operator Connex admits the parks are its responsibility.

But few are covered by cameras, and commuters say patrols by Connex officers are even less frequent.

"In some cases, CCTV cameras set up to monitor approaches to a station also monitor areas of adjacent car parking," said Connex spokesman Andrew Cassidy. "However, there has not been a program to specifically install CCTV system to monitor railway car parks."

The Pakenham and Lilydale lines have had the highest rates of crime on the network every year for the past three years.

Of Melbourne's 209 train stations, 31 are staffed during the morning peak, 67 are staffed from first to last train and 108 are not staffed at all.

The ghost stations rely on cameras, emergency buttons and yellow safety squares, which have better lighting for customer security.

Connex refused to say whether station cameras covered the whole platform.

There are 302 rail officers and up to 230 transit police on the network.

The scant good news from the figures, which cover the 12 months to mid-2005, is that reform of the taxi industry has brought taxi crime plummeting from the previous year.

Cranbourne, Williamstown and Alamein are among the safest train lines.

The Government said crime incidents on the network were relatively low given that a million journeys were taken each day.

"Any criminal activity on public transport is a concern for the Victorian Government," said government spokeswoman Campbel Giles.

"There is a comprehensive system in place to prevent criminal activity including more staff at more stations, a greater staff presence on public transport at night, more CCTVs and duress buttons.

"There are regular patrols by transit police across the network who investigate any incidents."

Opposition transport spokesman Terry Mulder said the Government had neglected the safety of public transport users and stricter measures were needed.

"In Sydney patrolling officers carry guns," he said. "This sort of initiative needs to be considered by the Government given the number of hooligans now travelling on our trains."

Source Sunday Herald ,........ http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E661,00.html

I'll be starting a thread on this kind of Geographical living anomolies re the whole of Aussie in the next week or so.
Old May 31st 2006, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

I'll be starting a thread on this kind of Geographical living anomolies re the whole of Aussie in the next week or so.[/QUOTE]

Thank you

That is definitely food for thought and helpful for trying to get an all round picture of a place.
Lawrenson