Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Like waiting for a bus (IT jobs)

Like waiting for a bus (IT jobs)

Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Like waiting for a bus (IT jobs)

When we first moved here in May, hubby spent a lot of time on seek and others looking and applying for jobs. 5 weeks later he had his first job and on really good money to boot. It was a 4 month contract ending mid Oct. 3 weeks before they told him the would not be able to extend his contract as they had taken on a big Novell contract and needed to employee Novell people. Ok hubby said and back on seek again. 2 days before the end they drag him into the office and say, we have decided to extend your contract for another 3 months, we were gonna do 1 month but didn't think that would be fair with xmas shut down coming up, but that will be it then. Great worry off for a bit but carry on looking. last week he had an interview for a Gov job very bazzare interview less than 20 mins and this was for a management job. Offered job later that day. Hubby was unsure and as he had another interview for a managers job next day, decided to leave making up his mind until after that job interview. Agency not very happy about it but hey ho. Went for interview (proper one this time) and hubby loved the job it was a mirror of the one he was doing in the UK. They called him by 12 and asked him in the next day at 9 for another interview with MD. Had to put off answer for Gov job again. Had next interview very positive. By 3 had call to say welcome aboard. hubby very chuffed and after receiving initial e-mail job offer, rang his office to hand in his notice (he works odd shifts 4 on 4 off so he had to do it then) 10 mins later manager phones back to offer him a perm job as they didn't want to lose him (hard luck mate should have done that 5 weeks ago) hubby declined and explained this was more what he likes doing. The money is less than what he's on at the moment but still very good, but the hours are standard.

Anyway I think what I'm trying to say is don't give up on those IT jobs there seems to be a 5 week turnaround here for us. I think they must sit on your CV for a couple of weeks and then get a move on. He also had another interview booked for monday with IBM which he has now cancelled. So 3 interviews for 3 jobs, 2 job offers from interviews one cancelled and one job offer from employer. Not bad. He was feeling a little dejected as he had applied on line for hundreds (approx 10-15 a day) so it has boosted him no end.

Don't give up.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:59 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Like waiting for a bus (IT jobs)

Originally Posted by joho
When we first moved here in May, hubby spent a lot of time on seek and others looking and applying for jobs. 5 weeks later he had his first job and on really good money to boot. It was a 4 month contract ending mid Oct. 3 weeks before they told him the would not be able to extend his contract as they had taken on a big Novell contract and needed to employee Novell people. Ok hubby said and back on seek again. 2 days before the end they drag him into the office and say, we have decided to extend your contract for another 3 months, we were gonna do 1 month but didn't think that would be fair with xmas shut down coming up, but that will be it then. Great worry off for a bit but carry on looking. last week he had an interview for a Gov job very bazzare interview less than 20 mins and this was for a management job. Offered job later that day. Hubby was unsure and as he had another interview for a managers job next day, decided to leave making up his mind until after that job interview. Agency not very happy about it but hey ho. Went for interview (proper one this time) and hubby loved the job it was a mirror of the one he was doing in the UK. They called him by 12 and asked him in the next day at 9 for another interview with MD. Had to put off answer for Gov job again. Had next interview very positive. By 3 had call to say welcome aboard. hubby very chuffed and after receiving initial e-mail job offer, rang his office to hand in his notice (he works odd shifts 4 on 4 off so he had to do it then) 10 mins later manager phones back to offer him a perm job as they didn't want to lose him (hard luck mate should have done that 5 weeks ago) hubby declined and explained this was more what he likes doing. The money is less than what he's on at the moment but still very good, but the hours are standard.

Anyway I think what I'm trying to say is don't give up on those IT jobs there seems to be a 5 week turnaround here for us. I think they must sit on your CV for a couple of weeks and then get a move on. He also had another interview booked for monday with IBM which he has now cancelled. So 3 interviews for 3 jobs, 2 job offers from interviews one cancelled and one job offer from employer. Not bad. He was feeling a little dejected as he had applied on line for hundreds (approx 10-15 a day) so it has boosted him no end.

Don't give up.
Well done and most encouraging.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:16 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff. I had a similar experience - 5 interviews, 2 job offers and 3 2nd interviews.. Was also offered one of the jobs I declined the 2nd interview for a couple of weeks afterwards!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:36 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you citizens, cos I thought you had to be for Govt. jobs?
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. But I think Governments will take on causal/temps with PR and that job was a 4 month contract. But usually if you get into the Gov and you work well, they will move you around and before you know it you are there of life. My cousin works for Centrelink and he was taken on with the condition that he became a citizen within 2 years. He had already lived her for 22 years but just hadn't become a Citizen.

Jo
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about

Thanks joho. It's always good to hear peoples experiences with finding jobs. We're moving to Perth next year. My husband is in IT and has a good job which he's really happy with. When we move he's going to have to quit his job :scared: His biggest worry is not ever finding a company he's so happy working for. Wonder what other peoples experiences are.

Thanks
Marina
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Are you citizens, cos I thought you had to be for Govt. jobs?
Permanent federal positions tend to be for citizens. NSW government takes on PRs as permanents. Not sure about QLD jobs.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:27 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Permanent federal positions tend to be for citizens. NSW government takes on PRs as permanents. Not sure about QLD jobs.
A lot of QLD government jobs I've seen are advertised as 'must have permission to work in Australia', not necessarily restricted to citizens.