Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Like Living in a Pet Shop

Like Living in a Pet Shop

Old Nov 21st 2004, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

slimdonnybabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Like Living in a Pet Shop

Not really heard much about this before we came and don't know if anyone else experiences this. The area we live on the Peninsula is a rather large housing estate with a large dependent on humans population of Crows, Magpies, Mynah birds and - worst of all - dogs. As the Aussies seem a nation of animal and especially dog lovers, around us I reckon there are at least half a dozen dogs, where at least one of them barks until midnight and at least one of them starts again at 6am.
I have just one simple question. Does soundproofing double glazing exist in Oz and where can I get it?
Thanks
Kim
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:07 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Like Living in a Pet Shop

Check with the local council. Not sure about where you are but a lot of the councils around Brisbane are very strict on dog noise.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by slimdonnybabe
Not really heard much about this before we came and don't know if anyone else experiences this. The area we live on the Peninsula is a rather large housing estate with a large dependent on humans population of Crows, Magpies, Mynah birds and - worst of all - dogs. As the Aussies seem a nation of animal and especially dog lovers, around us I reckon there are at least half a dozen dogs, where at least one of them barks until midnight and at least one of them starts again at 6am.
I have just one simple question. Does soundproofing double glazing exist in Oz and where can I get it?
Thanks
Kim
Hope so 'cos we're going to try it!!
Not such a problem with dogs, although they're there, they're not so noisy as the birds, lorikeets are beautiful but they certainly wouldn't win any prizes for thier birdsong! (especially at 4.30am!)
We're going to try "noise reduction" glass in our patio doors. It's not double glazed but apparently it does cut down on noise, so let you know how it goes! We're not getting it until after Christmas though, so we're still in for a few more early mornings.....and disturbed nights.........bats, hoons and other strange creatures!
On the subject of unwanted animal effects...... Our neighbours seem to keep cats, lots of them..... Anyone know how to keep them from visiting our garden and leaving their little calling cards...
Thanks K n K
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:43 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Our neighbours seem to keep cats, lots of them..... Anyone know how to keep them from visiting our garden and leaving their little calling cards...
Thanks K n K
Well .... (long story ahoy) ...
We used to have a lot of problems with cats in our back yard and somebody said chuck a bucket of water on them - they hate it and remember that this is the place you get wet so stay away. Problem is of course they're so damn quick that you have to keep a filled bucket by the back door!
I was working nights one .. er .. night and I had phoned home. Was chatting away to Mrs M when all of a sudden I heard the phone drop, quick footsteps and the back door opening. This was followed by an almighty MEEEEEOOOOOWWWW!!! When Mrs M returned I said "that must have been a good shot with the bucket". "No", she said, "I'd used the bucket earlier and not filled it. That noise was the cat screaming as the potato smacked it on the arse!"
Didn't see that moggy again
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Kim
Don't know if it exists, but I just thought I'd assure you, you are not alone!We have an entire pack of crows that caw like strangled ducks throughout the hours of daylight, often drowning the TV. And as for dogs, I think every house in the street has one except us, and they all bark 90% of the time - day and night. even when the owners are there, no-one tries to shut them up. Noisiest place I've ever known
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:41 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

"No", she said, "I'd used the bucket earlier and not filled it. That noise was the cat screaming as the potato smacked it on the arse!"
Didn't see that moggy again [/QUOTE]

OMG that bought back my younger days, I was only about 12/13 and nextdoors cat was wailing outside in their garden, I can't quite remember how but I knew I chucked a potato at it from upstairs. It went suddenly quiet and after staring out and not being able to see it I decided to con mum at the time to sneak into nextdoors garden and see if the cat was ok, well I had knocked it out cold!!!!! She left it in the flower bed and it did recover, I never threw another potato after that.
Jenny
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 1:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thanks
Kim
If you have got security spot lights on your home, swivel the light fittings/housing around so some of the light hits on the neighbours house ( the ones with the noisy dogs) , preferably aim them at their bedroom. When the dogs start barking in the wee hours of the night, flick your security lights on, so they get a blast of light shining through their bedroom.. keep them awake. Do this until they mention that your lights are keeping them awake, and your lights must be a bit sensitive etc..
Then answer them by "ooh, I've noticed they keep coming on each night, but thought there may be an intruder in the area as all we can here are dogs barking at something/someone each night, which wakes us up"
They should get the message in the end.

I've never seen double glazing here on any home, there are bound to be some companies out there somewhere that do it though..

found this, Victoria seem to have a company http://www.selector.com/sitemap/cate...e_glazing.html

so do Brisbane http://www.lidco.com.au/sectionviewer.php?sectionid=5

Try searching in Google etc with the string word " Double glazing Brisbane" etc, and you should get a few results.

cheers
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wmoore
Well .... (long story ahoy) ...
We used to have a lot of problems with cats in our back yard and somebody said chuck a bucket of water on them - they hate it and remember that this is the place you get wet so stay away. Problem is of course they're so damn quick that you have to keep a filled bucket by the back door!
I was working nights one .. er .. night and I had phoned home. Was chatting away to Mrs M when all of a sudden I heard the phone drop, quick footsteps and the back door opening. This was followed by an almighty MEEEEEOOOOOWWWW!!! When Mrs M returned I said "that must have been a good shot with the bucket". "No", she said, "I'd used the bucket earlier and not filled it. That noise was the cat screaming as the potato smacked it on the arse!"
Didn't see that moggy again
Will remember to fill one bucket with water, one bucket with potatoes........!!!!!