Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Helth Care Loading - Update

Lifetime Helth Care Loading - Update

Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lifetime Helth Care Loading - Update

I had to go to the Medibank Private retail centre on Saturday for them to "sight" my passport in order to waive the lifetime health cover loading for private medical insurance.

For those who don't know, your premium increases by 2% for every year you are over the age of 30.

Recently the health department has waived this for new immigrants giving them a 12 month grace period from "when they became eligible for Medicare".

Now, the announcement form the health department happened in late May and the woman in the shop wasn't sure exactly what to do. The first thing she did was look at the date the visa was granted, which put us well outside the 12 month grace period.

I explained to her that because it was granted when we were in in the UK we were not technically eligible for Medicare.

I suggested the date on our first entry stamp was the one to use, this was our validation trip in August 2002. This put us inside the 12 month grace period, just.

She didn't look at any other pages in the passport, just the one I held open for her. I don't even recall her looking at the page with the photograph in it in my wife's passport.

In summary, the phrase that keeps coming up is "when you became eligible for Medicare". If you make a validation trip, come back to Aus10 months later, leave it 3 months before getting medical insurance, you won't get the loading waived.

I would imagine Medibank Private will have a better documented process as more of us go in to get the loading waived but this was my experience.

Renth

Last edited by renth; Jun 14th 2004 at 12:32 am.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lifetime Helth Care Loading - Update

Is one eligible for Medicare when just making a validation trip? I'm not sure that's been clearly established.

It would be also interesting to know how Australian citizens and PRs returning from a number of years overseas fit into this.

Jeremy

Originally posted by renth
I had to go to the Medibank Private retail centre on Saturday for them to "sight" my passport in order to waive the lifetime health cover loading for private medical insurance.

For those who don't know, your premium increases by 2% for every year you are over the age of 30.

Recently the health department has waived this for new immigrants giving them a 12 month grace period from "when they became eligible for Medicare".

Now, the announcement form the health department happened in late May and the woman in the shop wasn't sure exactly what to do. The first thing she did was look at the date the visa was granted, which put us well outside the 12 month grace period.

I explained to her that because it was granted when we were in in the UK we were not technically eligible for Medicare.

I suggested the date on our first entry stamp was the one to use, this was our validation trip in August 2002. This put us inside the 12 month grace period, just.

She didn't look at any other pages in the passport, just the one I held open for her. I don't even recall her looking at the page with the photograph in it in my wife's passport.

In summary, the phrase that keeps coming up is "when you became eligible for Medicare". If you make a validation trip, come back to Aus10 months later, leave it 3 months before getting medical insurance, you won't get the loading waived.

I would imagine Medibank Private will have a better documented process as more of us go in to get the loading waived but this was my experience.

Renth
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:39 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Renth

Whats the background to this. Can you just briefly explain it again? I remember seeing your post previously about this but can't recall the detail

Ta

Marko
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by phyonics
Renth

Whats the background to this. Can you just briefly explain it again? I remember seeing your post previously about this but can't recall the detail

Ta

Marko
If you take out private health cover you have to pay 2% extra for every year over the age of 30.

This has been waived for new migrants provided they take out their policy within 12 months of becoming eligible for Medicare.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:20 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

This is specifically private cover that you pay a premium for, and is separate to the qualification for Medicare?

Thanks

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Any more thoughts on this?

I am going out in a couple of days to validate but then do not know when I will move permanently?

G
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I telephoned my health company a few weeks ago when this was raised on the site and they are still looking into it! They can't seem to decide whether we apply or not. I might have to send them the link - if I can find it.