Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Lifestyle/Culture Change

The Lifestyle/Culture Change

Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:09 pm
kingofcats2005

Default The Lifestyle/Culture Change

Hi all,

I feel that I have a very positive attitude to moving to Oz next year...It's exciting, an adventure and both myself and my girlfriend are genuinely looking forward to it. However, I was wondering if there will be anything that we'll really miss - not just a particular flavour of crisps or type of chocolate or a particular favourite shop...I was thinking more about the lifestyle or culture of the U.K.....

Basically this is a call to all those actually in Oz now - Is there anything(apart from the obvious friends and family) that you really miss? I guess you have to embrace change, but also guess that inevitably we will all miss the home we were born and grew up in? Maybe I should be more concerned with selling all my junk on ebay but it kind of prays on your mind!
Thanks in advance
Dave

Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lifestyle/Culture Change

Depends on what sort of lifestyle you have, to a large extent.
Right now, as it is allegedly summer, but still dark at 6.30pm, top of my list of "what do I miss" is - long summer evenings, still light at 9.30-10pm, sitting outside country pubs sharing a drink and a meal with friends.......
Something I used to do a lot, others will have different things.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:30 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I miss my knowledge base.....I have no sense of knowing the right thing here from how long I should expect things to take or cost. I check and check again asking work colleagues and checking the internet etc etc. But it takes time for the basics to build up and 2.5 yrs on I can still have a bad day like yesterday and feel like a plonker when I just wanted to catch a bus to the train station, but did not have the right change or know which stop to go to(Car in garage because some pratt swiped it - will not get it back for 10 days!).

I can still laugh at myself which helps....but the frustration can creep up!

Cheers
Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
I miss my knowledge base.....I have no sense of knowing the right thing here from how long I should expect things to take or cost. I check and check again asking work colleagues and checking the internet etc etc. But it takes time for the basics to build up and 2.5 yrs on I can still have a bad day like yesterday and feel like a plonker when I just wanted to catch a bus to the train station, but did not have the right change or know which stop to go to(Car in garage because some pratt swiped it - will not get it back for 10 days!).

I can still laugh at myself which helps....but the frustration can creep up!

Cheers
Thats very true actually Sandra, a lot of my frustrations come from just not knowing the basics. And if anything its easier arriving as a family cos you learn together and share your knowledge.
The Bloke is improving, but he still has a tendency to assume that I know things, and then gets irritated because I mess up. Just basic stuff like where to buy candles, or batteries, or me getting annoyed cos a cyclist is claiming right of way on the pavement - MIL had a real go at me for that one, "he's allowed to be there and you should walk in the road to make room for him......." Sorry, he may be allowed to be there, but where I come from, he wasn't - and as for the idea of me walking down a busy 6 lane highway to make room so a git can cycle on the pavement
Another one - I wanted a thick marker pen last week, the Bloke kept saying (I thought) "knickers!". I said I wanted a felt tipped marker pen, and it turned out he was saying "Niko" which is apparently a brand name! OOpps!
Or "go buy me some chips" he says, I come back with a nice hot portion of them, couple of pinesapple fritters for good measure........and all he wanted wa a bag of crisps. Arghh!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:06 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats very true actually Sandra, a lot of my frustrations come from just not knowing the basics. And if anything its easier arriving as a family cos you learn together and share your knowledge.
The Bloke is improving, but he still has a tendency to assume that I know things, and then gets irritated because I mess up. Just basic stuff like where to buy candles, or batteries, or me getting annoyed cos a cyclist is claiming right of way on the pavement - MIL had a real go at me for that one, "he's allowed to be there and you should walk in the road to make room for him......." Sorry, he may be allowed to be there, but where I come from, he wasn't - and as for the idea of me walking down a busy 6 lane highway to make room so a git can cycle on the pavement
Another one - I wanted a thick marker pen last week, the Bloke kept saying (I thought) "knickers!". I said I wanted a felt tipped marker pen, and it turned out he was saying "Niko" which is apparently a brand name! OOpps!
Or "go buy me some chips" he says, I come back with a nice hot portion of them, couple of pinesapple fritters for good measure........and all he wanted wa a bag of crisps. Arghh!!!!
I know this thread was done before but looking a plonker is a real culture shock......I have kids who before Aus might have respected me. But Now! I thought a scrungie was a hair band...turns out to be school sports knickers, and don't start me on what a texta (spelling?) is....they got bought loads of things before I knew it was a highlighter pen....etc etc...parental plonker permantely!

Anyway back to the orginal thread.....Culture Shock, some of us have it over the weirdest things and it is enough to drive some people back. In some ways it is pointless trying to say/put your finger on from the point of view of people who are still here or have gone back......it either gets you down or you laugh then cry and get over it slowly!......in my case minus a few back teeth when I have grinded them down over the last couple of yrs!

cheers
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingofcats2005
Hi all,

I feel that I have a very positive attitude to moving to Oz next year...It's exciting, an adventure and both myself and my girlfriend are genuinely looking forward to it. However, I was wondering if there will be anything that we'll really miss - not just a particular flavour of crisps or type of chocolate or a particular favourite shop...I was thinking more about the lifestyle or culture of the U.K.....

Basically this is a call to all those actually in Oz now - Is there anything(apart from the obvious friends and family) that you really miss? I guess you have to embrace change, but also guess that inevitably we will all miss the home we were born and grew up in? Maybe I should be more concerned with selling all my junk on ebay but it kind of prays on your mind!
Thanks in advance
Dave
A positive attitude and a willingness to embrace change will certainly help in your move I'm sure.

When I spent several months out there, I really surprised myself with the things I missed, such as green countryside (though you can certainly find this in some parts of Aus, especially during the 'wet'), country pubs, guinness , historical old buildings and believe it or not, cold weather!

This time I'm more prepared for the changes and for the unexpected. I'll still have to adapt though.

I have to agree with other posters that often the lack of familiar things can get to you at times, but I'm sure in time you adapt, so long as you bear in mind that Aus is not as similar to the UK as many folks think. Take the unexpected in your stride and you might find the transition that bit easier.

Good luck!