Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lifestyle and cost of living

Lifestyle and cost of living

Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

NRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant future
Default Lifestyle and cost of living

Hi
My family and I are in the process of migrating to perth. Can people give me general feedback on cost of living. Such as food shopping, amenities, car insurance and child care.
We are coming over to Australia on a permanent visa, both of us are planning on working full time if possible. My primary skill is registered nurse but due to Australia's new change to our registration with APHRA I nay not gain registration currently. Are there any benefits or other entitlements we could get with being on a lower income?
Any hep would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicola

Old Jul 9th 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lifestyle and cost of living

Log on to Woolys - https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ss...lworths+online -that'll give you an idea of supermarket prices , petrol about $1.50 to $1.65 per ltr , rent 3 bed house about $700 pw rent to what ever you want to pay.

Aus has the dole, family allowances and disability pensions amongst others which have a qualifying residency period of 2 years (I think) before entitlement and a national health system called Medicare which (I think) is reciprocal for British citizens , -others may want to clarify this.

Car insurance will depend on what you drive ,where you live, your driving record, what level of insurance you want (3rd party , comprehensive , etc) sum insured , budget about $700 ish , pa , average family sedan sum insured say $20k , good driving record , good neighbourhood ,fully comp.

Regarding 'amenities' there is plenty of everything , however I don't live in Perth so I'll leave this one to others--

Were it me I'd be sorting out my qualification to work stuff before I lobbed , but that's just me.

Last edited by BASHO; Jul 9th 2014 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

NRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant futureNRyan2 has a brilliant future

Hi basho
Thanks for the links and info will check it. With respect to my qualification I understand where you are coming from. I am currently having my skills assessed by ANMAC for PR, then apply to APHRA when I have completed by Bsc.
Thanks again

Nicola
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NRyan2
Hi
My family and I are in the process of migrating to perth. Can people give me general feedback on cost of living. Such as food shopping, amenities, car insurance and child care.
We are coming over to Australia on a permanent visa, both of us are planning on working full time if possible. My primary skill is registered nurse but due to Australia's new change to our registration with APHRA I nay not gain registration currently. Are there any benefits or other entitlements we could get with being on a lower income?
Any hep would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicola

For me overall COL is roughly the same with Australia slightly more expensive

Groceries generally cost more

Car insurance is less

Utilities cost more

Childcare is subsidised by the taxpayer

There are plenty of other mumbo jumbo benefits/welfare bribes available
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

There are plenty of other mumbo jumbo benefits/welfare bribes available
aint that true
Old Jul 13th 2014, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

iv posted this a few times its a great site

Cost Of Living Comparison
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:19 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD

A good comparison site, thanks and a good tool for playing "what if...?" with

Interesting thing I found using the comparison between Canberra (where I live now) and Greater London (where I used to live) is the costs of living returned are near enough on par. What is different though is my salary which is 50% more than it was in the UK. That's not what it'll be for everyone but it is nonetheless another variable that people need to factor in.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that, me and the hubby will have a look at that later.
Originally Posted by paulry
A good comparison site, thanks and a good tool for playing "what if...?" with

Interesting thing I found using the comparison between Canberra (where I live now) and Greater London (where I used to live) is the costs of living returned are near enough on par. What is different though is my salary which is 50% more than it was in the UK. That's not what it'll be for everyone but it is nonetheless another variable that people need to factor in.

You've done well for yourself Paul, good for you buddy!

I think my husbands wage will work out the same. At least it's not less.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 11:12 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Thanks for posting that, me and the hubby will have a look at that later.

You've done well for yourself Paul, good for you buddy!

I think my husbands wage will work out the same. At least it's not less.
Aw thanks Molly

I think the hardest part financially is that gap between your last UK payday and your first Australian one. If that gap can be kept to less than 2 months then you'll be laughing.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Numbeo is a great site and probably the best price comparison resource out there but they do get some of their numbers pathetically wrong

Edit:
<snip - FIFY>

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jul 14th 2014 at 12:32 am. Reason: Correct quote
Old Jul 13th 2014, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember Perth has been rated the eleventh most expensive city in the world.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 3:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Just remember Perth has been rated the eleventh most expensive city in the world.
Indeed. One of the reasons, although not the primary one, that we'll be enjoying our dotage in the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
...... and probably has one of the highest average salaries in the world.

according to this, in Australia only the ACT is higher.

5673.0.55.003 - Wage and Salary Earner Statistics for Small Areas, Time Series, 2005-06 to 2010-11
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
in Australia only the ACT is higher.
Which shows that we have too many civil servants costing too much

When Canberra goes into recession with massive unemployment we will know we are on the right track
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Which shows that we have too many civil servants costing too much

When Canberra goes into recession with massive unemployment we will know we are on the right track
Apparently they already are stripping the wastage out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.