Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Victoria

Life in Victoria

Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Victoria

Originally Posted by cash money
Thanx for the info good news indeed will see what's on the ground if my visa gets through though..

The motor trade hasn't been hit at all by the downturn. Car sales remain quite strong and there is a real shortage of tradesman. I am involved in the bodywork industry and I could name at least 10 panel shops that if I wanted to go back on the tools I could walk into a job tomorrow.

Sorry I forgot it's Sunday tomorrow
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:42 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hie Good People

Can anyone out there give a brief overview of life in Melbourne or Victoria ,and what are my chances of gaining employment,i am a qualified Motor Mechanic with 13years experience and also trained as a Vehicle Inspector.

Felix
Apart from Melbourne theres plenty of nice places in Country Victoria that would also have demand for your occupation.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:42 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for the info,how is the cost of living in general and how is the economic downturn impact in Melbourne?
What economic downturn impact in Melbourne? Sydney's been impacted by the downturn, not Melbourne. It's business as usual.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:58 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deancm
What economic downturn impact in Melbourne? Sydney's been impacted by the downturn, not Melbourne. It's business as usual.
What a load of garbage.

Australia has been hit hard by the downturn. I know 50+ who have been affected personally. Things have levelled out recently but certainly expect things to get worse an 8% unemployment rate is expected.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie
What a load of garbage.

Australia has been hit hard by the downturn. I know 50+ who have been affected personally. Things have levelled out recently but certainly expect things to get worse an 8% unemployment rate is expected.
I haven't noticed it at all and I get people jobs for a living.

Australia has been hit hard? What a load of garbage. We are still at 5.9% unemployment which is low for Australia. In the late '90s, early 2000s it used to hover around 8% which is actually a normal unemployment rate for Aus.

Last edited by Deancm; Jul 11th 2009 at 3:04 am.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:23 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
What a load of garbage.

At close to 4% unemployment we had the most unskilled unexperienced workforce with bums on seats because there was literally no ulternative.

The increase of 2% only relates to "driftwood" or new arrivals awaiting too prove themselves.

With a 10% unemployment rate there will still be work for those with the right skills, aptitude and experience.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deancm
But that all depends on the business... trade's not too bad but for me, in the marketing game, it's been hit fairly hard because people have been nervous and thus the previous committment has changed to a wait and see stance.

Ben here since Jan and nothing yet workwise and I've got a lot to offer - but there is little chnage in the marketing, sales market although far more jobs are going than being created....
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

cash money is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jond
The motor trade hasn't been hit at all by the downturn. Car sales remain quite strong and there is a real shortage of tradesman. I am involved in the bodywork industry and I could name at least 10 panel shops that if I wanted to go back on the tools I could walk into a job tomorrow.

Sorry I forgot it's Sunday tomorrow
So you reckon i should take the bull by the horns and go for it hey
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

So you reckon i should take the bull by the horns and go for it hey

Give it a go and if you want a bit of help in the motor trade let me know.

John
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

John
Will definately appreciate any kind of help that comes my way
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Will definately appreciate any kind of help that comes my way
Any Motor Mechanic in Melbourne to share their experience on the job market at present
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

John
Thus Spake 'Honest John'.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:44 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for the info,how is the cost of living in general and how is the economic downturn impact in Melbourne?
Cost of living here is friggin expensive IMO
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Thus Spake 'Honest John'.

Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you liked it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.