Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Surfers Paradise

Life in Surfers Paradise

Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:08 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all
Default Life in Surfers Paradise

I am an Australian who has lived for a large part of my adult life in the UK-I am now thinking of moving back to Australia but not to my native Sydney but to Surfers.
Is anyone living there or had experience there-whats it like to live in-it looks fantastic in Pictures (was there 1979)-like its come of age.
Any info or opinion would be most appreciated.

Last edited by Breezey; Mar 24th 2006 at 1:12 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Surfers Paradise

Originally Posted by Breezey
I am an Australian who has lived for a large part of my adult life in the UK-I am now thinking of moving back to Australia but not to my native Sydney but to Surfers.
Is anyone living here or had experience there-whats it like to live in-it looks fantastic in Pictures (was there 1979)-like its come of age.
Don't know anyone who lives there, everyone just visits Debsy lives at Main Beach though.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:15 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't know anyone who lives there, everyone just visits Debsy lives at Main Beach though.
I might rephrase that-the Gold Coast generally-surfers specifically.
I do plan to live in Surfers-I like the look of the Units by the beach-the interiors seem very clean and spacious.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Is anyone living there or had experience there-whats it like to live in-it looks fantastic in Pictures (was there 1979)-like its come of age.
Any info or opinion would be most appreciated.
I have visted Surfer's on hol's............must admit I do not like it, we went to Hard Rock Cafe (upstairs) sat down and out the corner of my eye saw a dead rat, told the waitress she shrugged and asked what we like to order .......WE LEFT QUICK !!!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute

ewww good move
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tabby
I have visted Surfer's on hol's............must admit I do not like it, we went to Hard Rock Cafe (upstairs) sat down and out the corner of my eye saw a dead rat, told the waitress she shrugged and asked what we like to order .......WE LEFT QUICK !!!!
what didnt you like about it-apart from the dead rat experience
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:22 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

We are headed to the Gold Coast in 8 wks or so; majority of my family have been out there for almost 20yrs! the Gold Coast is a really amazing place to me..... within minutes you can go from the beach to a rainforest - spectacular views, lovely people......... fantastic atmosphere!

Surfers is a great place but I would say it is only suitable for those that "want to be in the middle of it"! LOL busy busy busy is the way to describe it - great for meals out, nights out, shopping & tourism but there are tons more suburbs that are better for families & those wanting to "chill".

Claire
x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Just didn't get a good feel for the place. It's lovely to visit - beaches are great, but with the high rises {in our opinoin} it's best left to a place to visit. There are obviously loads of places to stay away from the coast, and you would still be close to Surfers, but I guess - personal choice and all that - not our choice.

We LOVE the sunshinecoast, Mooloolaba and Noosa, but at the end of the day view them as somewhere to vist, much like the Gold Coast. We live in Bayside - middle of both, so no issue for us.

Best of luck with what you decide......

Maybe catch you at a meet ;-)
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tabby
Just didn't get a good feel for the place. It's lovely to visit - beaches are great, but with the high rises {in our opinoin} it's best left to a place to visit. There are obviously loads of places to stay away from the coast, and you would still be close to Surfers, but I guess - personal choice and all that - not our choice.

We LOVE the sunshinecoast, Mooloolaba and Noosa, but at the end of the day view them as somewhere to vist, much like the Gold Coast. We live in Bayside - middle of both, so no issue for us.

Best of luck with what you decide......

Maybe catch you at a meet ;-)
Thanks-the downtown area isnt seedy is it.
It appeals to me because it looks so clean and the apartments seem an easy maitenence free way of life.
I have a place in Sydney(Coogee)-but I dont know if I am up to Sydney.
Surfers seems really stress free-and I hear the job situation is good for IT people.
The idea I am tossing up is doing a house swap for a similiar property in Surfers.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
We are headed to the Gold Coast in 8 wks or so; majority of my family have been out there for almost 20yrs! the Gold Coast is a really amazing place to me..... within minutes you can go from the beach to a rainforest - spectacular views, lovely people......... fantastic atmosphere!

Surfers is a great place but I would say it is only suitable for those that "want to be in the middle of it"! LOL busy busy busy is the way to describe it - great for meals out, nights out, shopping & tourism but there are tons more suburbs that are better for families & those wanting to "chill".

Claire
x
I don't know if I could live in the "burbs" in Queensland. Surfers seems more inner-city, would that be accurate?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:33 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm the most touristy place in Aussie with 4 million tourists each year... but sure maybe thats what you want as you stroll down the road you can feel good cause you live there and the people are only there on holiday... I would like the hustle and bustle of it all... im sure its great
Old Mar 25th 2006, 12:17 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks-the downtown area isnt seedy is it.
It appeals to me because it looks so clean and the apartments seem an easy maitenence free way of life.
I have a place in Sydney(Coogee)-but I dont know if I am up to Sydney.
Surfers seems really stress free-and I hear the job situation is good for IT people.
The idea I am tossing up is doing a house swap for a similiar property in Surfers.
Seedy ? Surfers? Yep, very much so.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 4:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally wouldn't live in Surfers. Too busy. It is also cleaning up it's act a lot and therefore the prices are going up. Each to his own. I want space around me. We live at the bottom of the GC. Beautiful area, surrounded by trees and space yet five minutes drive to stunning beaches. 30 minutes to Broadbeach/Surfers. For us it's perfect but we never lived in a busy busy town/city in the UK, we have two children 13 and 11 so need to be near the busy stuff for when they're older and out and about. Also ideal for going out for meals, shows etc.

All the beach front apartments in Surfers/Broadbeach area are lovely, spacey, clean etc but bloody expensive IMO for what you get.

Southport is really close and is also cleaning itself up a lot with new development and rubbish bits being removed. It is really close to Surfers and loads of work - quite a few major companies there.

No one can really say what someone else would like. We all want slightly different things. But one thing I do know, the GC is not just Surfers and with a bit of exploring up and down the coast, you should be able to find the perfect spot for you.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Nov 17th 2009 at 9:08 am.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 4:33 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all the comments here about surfers...this IMHO is the worst place to live along the SE QLD coast...and then there's the 2 weeks of schoolies..just would'nt want to have that every year!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 5:45 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Great place to visit, but always glad I leave to go back to Sunshine Coast.

We tossed up Gold Coast/ Sunshine Coast. Could never have actually lived at Surfers itself but we liked Mudgereeba.

Surfers Paradise is no longer the Paradise I'm sure it once was. But hey, have a look....

Sunshine Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.