Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life style : Which city is best?

Old Apr 9th 2004, 6:16 am
ABCDiamond

Default Life style : Which city is best?

A newspaper had this poll in February

Question:

Results:
Sydney - 56%
Melbourne - 17%
Canberra - 5%
Perth - 7%
Hobart - 3%
Brisbane - 8%
Adelaide - 3%
Darwin - 2%

The result had me puzzled for a while......

until I saw which paper did it !!

The Sydney Morning Herald !! mainly Sydney readers I think.

Statistics !! You can say anything with them.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all
Default Re: Life style : Which city is best?

I'm surprised Adelaide only got 2%. IS IT REALLY THAT BAD?

Thats where we are heading and my brother has lived there for 10 years and never complained. We've been there twice now and it seems like a pretty nice city.

Jo
Old Apr 9th 2004, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I think this is a OZ media speciality, The Sunshine Coast Daily did a stunning reader in the street poll, with the question "Where is the best place in the world to live" Four out of the Five questioned replied Sunshine Coast

I was right pissed off they never interviewed me, I could have made that article a whole lot more interesting
Old Apr 9th 2004, 8:56 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
A newspaper had this poll in February

Question:

Results:
Sydney - 56%
Melbourne - 17%
Canberra - 5%
Perth - 7%
Hobart - 3%
Brisbane - 8%
Adelaide - 3%
Darwin - 2%

The result had me puzzled for a while......

until I saw which paper did it !!

The Sydney Morning Herald !! mainly Sydney readers I think.

Statistics !! You can say anything with them.
LIE,S, DAMNED LIES, THEN THERES STATISTICS. ............... mm
Old Apr 9th 2004, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Hurray for Mr Mover. I knew you'd come through. Remind me to ring you to deliver all our stuff when we get there. Crate of West End Draft all round.

jo
Old Apr 9th 2004, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
I'm surprised Adelaide only got 2%. IS IT REALLY THAT BAD?

Thats where we are heading and my brother has lived there for 10 years and never complained. We've been there twice now and it seems like a pretty nice city.

Jo
The question was asked primarily to people living in Sydney, therefore the answers were tainted by Sydney loyalty !!

Now if each local paper did the same poll, I am sure the results would be different each time.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 11:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

As ABC points out the poll has the scientific methodology of a Sun phone in Poll. If it was accurate surely Canberra would be down the bottom with Adelaide.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Just shows stats can be used to give the answer you want. I remember a few years ago The Age came up with a study which showed Melbourne had more parklands than any city in Australia, but think they did it by excluding Adelaide from sample group.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Vicky88
Just shows stats can be used to give the answer you want. I remember a few years ago The Age came up with a study which showed Melbourne had more parklands than any city in Australia, but think they did it by excluding Adelaide from sample group.
I remember quite a few years ago when I was working for a certain company, creating statistics to prove what needed proving No. i'd better not go into details

Old Apr 10th 2004, 1:57 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
As ABC points out the poll has the scientific methodology of a Sun phone in Poll. If it was accurate surely Canberra would be down the bottom with Adelaide.
The difference is in Adelaide you can Live ,other cities you exist..... ............. MM
Old Apr 10th 2004, 2:02 am
Banned

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I remember quite a few years ago when I was working for a certain company, creating statistics to prove what needed proving No. i'd better not go into details
3 accountants applied for the same Job, the boss decided on a test to work out who was most suitable,the first was asked "whats 2+2?" , the answer came back"4" the second answered the same, the 3rd Accountant answered "anything you want it to be":rolleyes ............... MM
Old Apr 10th 2004, 2:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mr mover
3 accountants applied for the same Job, the boss decided on a test to work out who was most suitable,the first was asked "whats 2+2?" , the answer came back"4" the second answered the same, the 3rd Accountant answered "anything you want it to be":rolleyes ............... MM
I do like that one

Old Apr 10th 2004, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'm betting that those in Sydney who think it the best weren't residents of Cabramatta or suburbs of that type.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 8:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vicky88
Actually I'm betting that those in Sydney who think it the best weren't residents of Cabramatta or suburbs of that type.
I bet they aren't complaining about the quality of their noodles and heroin.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:31 pm
Banned

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
Hurray for Mr Mover. I knew you'd come through. Remind me to ring you to deliver all our stuff when we get there. Crate of West End Draft all round.

jo
make it Coopers Sparkling Ale, and I will buy, ...... MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.