Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life is pretty good

Life is pretty good

Old May 12th 2004, 2:22 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Life is pretty good

We have been in Oz 11 weeks and the first few weeks were great catching up with friends and a trip to NSW to the blue mountains was fun.

We had sorted everything we could ie medicard, tax file number bought a car, passed driving licence.

We then moved into a friends holiday home 4 weeks in and bought a tv, printer and iron. Got connected to the telephone and also the internet.

Then things slowed right down we were busily applying for jobs but I started to get very home sick and also found myself crying alot but couldn't find a real reason why. My poor husband.

Anyway then I went to the 4th job interview which I got and since then life has changed. We now have 2 cars as I need one to get to work, I am much more upbeat ready for anything Oz has to throw at me.

The day I started work my hubby got offered a job with better money than the UK job. He has started work this week and is very happy there.

We have started the process of buying a house and will be the owners by the 18th June.

Now we just have to find furniture to go in it but that will be fun we are both excited furnishing a home from scratch.

I suppose I am saying there are good and bad times ahead which I had not really thought about prior to migration but once you get through the bad days it really is worth it.

Jo
Old May 12th 2004, 4:26 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life is pretty good

Originally posted by joh117
We have been in Oz 11 weeks and the first few weeks were great catching up with friends and a trip to NSW to the blue mountains was fun.

We had sorted everything we could ie medicard, tax file number bought a car, passed driving licence.

We then moved into a friends holiday home 4 weeks in and bought a tv, printer and iron. Got connected to the telephone and also the internet.

Then things slowed right down we were busily applying for jobs but I started to get very home sick and also found myself crying alot but couldn't find a real reason why. My poor husband.

Anyway then I went to the 4th job interview which I got and since then life has changed. We now have 2 cars as I need one to get to work, I am much more upbeat ready for anything Oz has to throw at me.

The day I started work my hubby got offered a job with better money than the UK job. He has started work this week and is very happy there.

We have started the process of buying a house and will be the owners by the 18th June.

Now we just have to find furniture to go in it but that will be fun we are both excited furnishing a home from scratch.

I suppose I am saying there are good and bad times ahead which I had not really thought about prior to migration but once you get through the bad days it really is worth it.

Jo

Congrats Jo,

Sounds to me like youve settled in REALLY quick !!! Hope all goes well
Old May 12th 2004, 5:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Now you are working summer will be around in no time and your new place will be setup. Keeping busy certainly does keep one upbeat. Good luck.
Old May 12th 2004, 5:52 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Guys. I can;t wait for summer as I will be glad to get some warm weather. Was not prepared for the winter here but once we get into our house we will have ducted heating installed.

Jo
Old May 12th 2004, 6:09 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by joh117
Thanks Guys. I can;t wait for summer as I will be glad to get some warm weather. Was not prepared for the winter here but once we get into our house we will have ducted heating installed.

Jo

Glad your smiling again Jo, I can hardly wait for the house warming.
Old May 12th 2004, 6:56 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
Glad your smiling again Jo, I can hardly wait for the house warming.
hahahah good "heat" link there

Im told its bloody freezin down in Melby at the mo
Old May 12th 2004, 8:04 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
hahahah good "heat" link there

Im told its bloody freezin down in Melby at the mo

Freezin by Aussie standards yeah, getting down to around 5 degrees at night in outer suburbs. We used to go to the beach in that back home in Scotland though.
Old May 12th 2004, 8:48 am
Just Joined

brijacq is an unknown quantity at this point

I am fairly new to this forum, but have been viewing from a far for some time.
Congratulations on the getting a job. What kind of work are you and your husband in?
Where abouts is your new house?
We are planning to go to Victoria via the STNI route and we are just getting together all paperwork to send off to TRA for assessment.
Any tips on getting job, settling in etc. would be gratefully appreciated.
Once again many congratulations and hope your new life in Melbourne is all you hoped for.
Old May 12th 2004, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Cool

Nothing else to say but:

GOOOOOOD ON YA MATE!
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bordy
Freezin by Aussie standards yeah, getting down to around 5 degrees at night in outer suburbs. We used to go to the beach in that back home in Scotland though.
That reminded me of the Billy Connolly story about surfing in Scotland: "What's that idiot doin' wi' an ironing board on his head?"
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Nothing else to say but:

Goooood On Ya Mate!!!
Old May 12th 2004, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Nothing else to say but:

Goooood on ya MATE!
Old May 12th 2004, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Oups!!!

Sorry sorry sorry it told me that there had been a technical prob! but it ended up posting it more than once!
Old May 12th 2004, 11:06 am
Pass The Post

Originally posted by brijacq
I am fairly new to this forum, but have been viewing from a far for some time.
Congratulations on the getting a job. What kind of work are you and your husband in?
Where abouts is your new house?
We are planning to go to Victoria via the STNI route and we are just getting together all paperwork to send off to TRA for assessment.
Any tips on getting job, settling in etc. would be gratefully appreciated.
Once again many congratulations and hope your new life in Melbourne is all you hoped for.
My hubby is a civil engineer and has got work on the interstate railway. I am working for an electric company as a business support officer.

Our new house is in Somerville on the mornington penninsula.

We just kept looking for jobs on a daily basis and I registered with agencies. Also ask about my job was found by a friend who works for the company and suggested I apply.

But you must step back from applying and not wait around too much as it can get you down. It did me. Some days I would get really bad like what the hell have we given up. That was only 6 weeks in. However we persevered and look at us now.

It has helped that we have friends here and my husbands cricket he plays for flinders so I joined the committee just so I get to know more people.

Any questions you have fire away I will try and answer them

Jo

Bring all your woollies its bloody freezin here!!!!!!
Old May 12th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear things are smoothing out for you.

Have fun, the best is yet to come, moving into your house will be fantastic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.