Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Paradise, so wots on this weekend?

Wikiposts

Life in Paradise, so wots on this weekend?

Old Apr 6th 2003, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Interested
Sydney is a fantastic city and I certainly wouldn't complain if I lived there. There are loads of things to do and other great places fairly nearby, like the hunter valley where some of the best wines in the world are produced.

Go on, go on a wine tour and let your hair down dotty etc, you might even have fun, woohoooo !!!

Sorry to dissapoint my last wine tour was with a bus load of girls, part of a hens weekend, all I can say is its doubtful any of us will ever be let into any wineries again.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

A new car will make a lot of difference. !! strange thing is a mini and a ferrari in a traffic jam do the same speed. !!

And how many people in UK actually jet around Europe and spend there time visiting all the local attractions. Maybe its different in the south where they have all got pots of money.

Not many people in my estate jet off to play golf, or travelling UK to visit places. most hard at work to earn enough to pay the mortgage and have a two wek holiday a year.

Its my guess that those of you in Oz who delight in saying how bad Australia is and trying to disilusion people who have not yet had the oppurtunity to try an alternative life style. Were probably the same b****rds, who when you were here were saying how bad UK was and how you were looking forward to going to Oz.

AND no doubt when you get back here you will be the same people who moaning about it here.

Its OK posting negative stuff but how about some positives. If you cant think of any. Get the boat home. !!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 7:39 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88
A new car will make a lot of difference. !! strange thing is a mini and a ferrari in a traffic jam do the same speed. !!

And how many people in UK actually jet around Europe and spend there time visiting all the local attractions. Maybe its different in the south where they have all got pots of money.

Not many people in my estate jet off to play golf, or travelling UK to visit places. most hard at work to earn enough to pay the mortgage and have a two wek holiday a year.

Its my guess that those of you in Oz who delight in saying how bad Australia is and trying to disilusion people who have not yet had the oppurtunity to try an alternative life style. Were probably the same b****rds, who when you were here were saying how bad UK was and how you were looking forward to going to Oz.

AND no doubt when you get back here you will be the same people who moaning about it here.

Its OK posting negative stuff but how about some positives. If you cant think of any. Get the boat home. !!

The guy that sent the Email lives in Leicestershire ,my brother whos paid off his home in less than 10 years seems to do well enough and so does his mates.
They travel all over the UK and Ireland playing at different golf courses once a month , plus he goes on holiday abroad twice a year.
I used holiday abroad at lest 4 times a year in the UK and have weekends away in the UK, rarely do it here to far to bother.
Look Pal 12 hours London to Manchester is pushing the boat out , I've gone 365 miles to Scotland in half the time using the M6 and been held up.
You want positives the sunshines more here and some homes are bigger , thats all there is.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 7th 2003 at 2:57 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:21 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You what positives the sunshines more here and some homes are bigger , thats all there is.
Not true. You can have a smaller home and a bigger veggie patch for next to nix.

There's a track winding back to an old-fashioned shack,
Along the road to Gundagai;
Where the blue gums are growing, and the Murrumbidgee's flowing
Beneath that sunny sky,
Then no more will I roam when I'm heading right for home,
Along the road to Gundagai.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 9:18 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Megalania
Not true. You can have a smaller home and a bigger veggie patch for next to nix.

There's a track winding back to an old-fashioned shack,
Along the road to Gundagai;
Where the blue gums are growing, and the Murrumbidgee's flowing
Beneath that sunny sky,
Then no more will I roam when I'm heading right for home,
Along the road to Gundagai.

The 'shack' is still there together with several sellers of fruit. The crime rate is 'so bad' there that when we went there was no-one at ANY of the fruit vans but notices saying help yourself and put the money in the box????????
Old Apr 6th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Look on a map and see where Gundagai is. I bet crime or not, not too many people are moving out there. Try Sydney or Brissie for a more realistic picture.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:00 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by dotty
Look on a map and see where Gundagai is. I bet crime or not, not too many people are moving out there. Try Sydney or Brissie for a more realistic picture.

Hi Dptty I have ignored your posts in the past as - sometimes - you make a sensible comment. However I am not a beginner in australia I have visited there several times and only speak about where I KNOW I kmnow the area around Sydney, Gundagai and all places in between so you cannot change my mind about WHAT I KNOW. so don't try and tell people that I am not being realistic. My findings are not even one off's but have happened several times -= as someone previously said pull your head in
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

What are you saying, immigrants are going to Gundagai? Or people leave money out in the streets in Sydney? Sorry but I really do not get your point.

Most parts of OZ I have seen they even chain up the charity boxes. Sure people out woop woop may leave boxes out for a few coins for some home grown bananas, but that hardly makes OZ an honest place.

I dont understand why some people have to make out Oz is some kind of dream where people act any different from anywhere else. We have Pedophiles, drug adicts, bank robbers, muggers and also little old ladies, sweet kids in prams, and regular people who are somewhere in between.

Ive had an eight year old kid return a five dollar note I dropped and ive had my house burgled by a eight, 10 and 11 year old.

Why, because Australia is a real place with humans who act like anywhere else on the planet.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look Pal 12 hours London to Manchester is pushing the boat out , I've gone 365 miles to Scotland in half the time using the M6 and been held up.
who said 12 hours to manchester?

I said 7, OK so it was a one off but Fridays tend to mean 4- 6 hours.

Also
I used holiday abroad at lest 4 times a year in the UK and have weekends away in the UK
"most" people here do not have your sort of cash to afford that.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 12:05 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Also

I think thats the point I read time and time again, and a point I've made many a time on this forum. If you are low paid in the UK and forced to live in a crappy area and slave away on the building site, at the factory or the hairdressers to pay a mortgage on a tiny property, then I suspect you'll love life in Australia. With the exception of Sydney, you'll find yourself in a bigger property, in a nicer area and with the sun on your back at weekends. However, if you are a very well paid professional/manager who is used to living in a nice house, buying a new car every 3 years, having 2 or 3 overseas holidays a year, visiting Europe regularly for long weekends etc etc then you may find life in Australia a bit of a come down. If you fall into the first category of person then you should ignore the moans of Dotty, myself and others as you probably do not recognise the lifestyle we describe in the UK and think we are full of sh*te. If you do happen to fall into the second category then all I would recommend is come with your eyes open and a reasonable idea of what you will be giving up.
I am obviously very lucky to have been given a brain that enables me to have a good job paying good money in the UK. Our lifestyle in London involved visits Europe for a weekend once every 6 weeks or so, regular weekend breaks withing the UK, a meal in a fine London restaurant once a week, 10 days skiing in France every February, 2 weeks holiday in an exotic location in August every year, a winter warmer somewhere for a week in early December, we owned a new BMW, had a lovely apartment, found our jobs rewarding and enjoyable etc etc. Compared to the kind of lifestyle we enjoyed in the UK our "lifestyle", for want of a better word, here is significantly more limited, less rewarding and less interesting. I'm by no means saying that's the case for everyone, but for us it is definitely true and if your lifestyle in the UK is similar the one I describe us as having, then accept that the 1980's management culture, low salaries in Australia and its isolation are likely to lead to a significant change in lifestyle.
I would always recommend having a go though, because there is no doubt that, in different ways to the UK, life is very enjoyable here.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:55 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Also

Your post sir

''12 hour drive from London going North to Manchester, 2 hours to get out of London sat in traffic jams, 2 hours stuck on the M6 at Birmingham, an hour stuck in traffic jam on M6 Thelwall viaduct. Traffic down to a crawl on M56 roadworks another hour to get to city center.''

Look most people I know back home are well cashed up compared to the buy now pay later crew in Perth , big home and arse hanging out their shorts.

Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Herman
I think thats the point I read time and time again, and a point I've made many a time on this forum. If you are low paid in the UK and forced to live in a crappy area and slave away on the building site, at the factory or the hairdressers to pay a mortgage on a tiny property, then I suspect you'll love life in Australia. With the exception of Sydney, you'll find yourself in a bigger property, in a nicer area and with the sun on your back at weekends. However, if you are a very well paid professional/manager who is used to living in a nice house, buying a new car every 3 years, having 2 or 3 overseas holidays a year, visiting Europe regularly for long weekends etc etc then you may find life in Australia a bit of a come down. If you fall into the first category of person then you should ignore the moans of Dotty, myself and others as you probably do not recognise the lifestyle we describe in the UK and think we are full of sh*te. If you do happen to fall into the second category then all I would recommend is come with your eyes open and a reasonable idea of what you will be giving up.
I am obviously very lucky to have been given a brain that enables me to have a good job paying good money in the UK. Our lifestyle in London involved visits Europe for a weekend once every 6 weeks or so, regular weekend breaks withing the UK, a meal in a fine London restaurant once a week, 10 days skiing in France every February, 2 weeks holiday in an exotic location in August every year, a winter warmer somewhere for a week in early December, we owned a new BMW, had a lovely apartment, found our jobs rewarding and enjoyable etc etc. Compared to the kind of lifestyle we enjoyed in the UK our "lifestyle", for want of a better word, here is significantly more limited, less rewarding and less interesting. I'm by no means saying that's the case for everyone, but for us it is definitely true and if your lifestyle in the UK is similar the one I describe us as having, then accept that the 1980's management culture, low salaries in Australia and its isolation are likely to lead to a significant change in lifestyle.
I would always recommend having a go though, because there is no doubt that, in different ways to the UK, life is very enjoyable here.

What is it about Herman, he hits the nail on the head time and time again.

2 friends of mine, one from very delightful surrey suburb, shopped in NY, lived in detached house kids in private schools then they emigrated here! She absolutely loathes it. Reckons she will have a nervous breakdown if husband will not go back soon, even the kids hate it now the beach novelty has worn off.

Other mate, had bugger all in the UK, tiny two bed house, 3 kids. They think its great here. They got one of those houses in the estates I would dread to live in and love it, its big of course. She gets subsidised childcare from the gvt here and spends most days on the beach. They dont want anything else, thats it.

People have different goals, energy levels, ambitions, and tolerance of boredom.

Each to their own, what I cant stand here tho are people cracking thats its paradise here. I guess as long as people write that sort of twaddle, there are going to be those who live here who will stand up and say bull----.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 4:10 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Trouble is there are lots of people out there, lots bound to be in search of Paradise at any one time.

Dotty, afraid you've alotted yourself a long and whining road.

Interested why you bother, why not just do your own thing, let the Birds of Paradise do theirs?
Old Apr 7th 2003, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman
...I am obviously very lucky to have been given a brain that enables me to have a good job paying good money in the UK...
Careful Herman,

Whats happened to your level-headed reasoning. Having just popped on here for the first time in a while, your posts appear to becoming arrogant as well as condescending. Perhaps the influence of the other wingers is rubbing off on you.

I know of several clever (i.e. mensa level) people who are poorly paid because of their professsion. It's your profession that allows you your *lavish* lifestyle - not brains.

MM
Old Apr 7th 2003, 5:02 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by madmancunian
Careful Herman,

Whats happened to your level-headed reasoning. Having just popped on here for the first time in a while, your posts appear to becoming arrogant as well as condescending. Perhaps the influence of the other wingers is rubbing off on you.

I know of several clever (i.e. mensa level) people who are poorly paid because of their professsion. It's your profession that allows you your *lavish* lifestyle - not brains.

MM
I was making a point, not attempting to boast, condescend or be arrogant. I merely point out that whether Australia is your nirvana or not depends upon what you leave behind you.
There are many like me who enjoy a great lifestyle in the UK, but perhaps do not appreciate their own good fortune quite as much as they should. I receive emails from friends telling me how they 'popped to Nice' for the weekend and then complaining about how horrible their lives in London are in comparison to the locals in Nice. They are blinded to the fact that the very ability to pop to Nice for the weekend is an incredible and wonderful aspect of their lives.
And as I said in my previous post, I consider myself to be a very lucky person to have been given the, careful now, dont upset anyone, to have been given the 'ability' to perform well in my carefully chosen career. I do not take it for granted, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth and was one of 3 boys raised on nothing, the hard way, by a single working mother. I have worked myself to unhealth at times to achieve what I have achieved. Arrogance is not on my agenda but pride certainly is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.