Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Paradise, so wots on this weekend?

Wikiposts

Life in Paradise, so wots on this weekend?

Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Well today (saturday) took my daughter for her horse riding lesson, she went out on a 'trail ride' so I followed with my son and had a lovely walk in the bush, nice and sunny but a nice cool breeze so it was great. Stopped at the shops on the way home and got the kids an ice cream and some cakes to have with their lunch. Got home and decided that I can't put off the gardening any longer so cut the lawns and did some weeding and cutting back (always enjoyed a bit of pruning!), kids helped and also rode their bikes up and down the path outside the house. Now its dinner time so gonna cook dinner shortly and have a nice relaxing evening with kids and hubby (he had to go into work today but that's just the nature of his work)

Sunday, hubby not working (hopefully, if all went well today) so we will probably go out for the day. Either for a drive up the central coast and visit an old lighthouse that we've been meaning to go to or visit the Blue Mountains, not sure what we'll do yet but it will involve going for a drive (we both love exploring in the car) and seeing the beautiful countryside around here. Then sunday night its back to normality and bathing the kids etc. ready for school on Monday (roll on the holidays!).

Mandy

Thanks for that Mandy! I was starting to get depressed with the other posts!
Just shows how the glass can be half full or half empty depending who's talking about it.........
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in Paradise, so wots on this weekend?

Not really:
Selling our car to a car dealership tomorrow morning for a woefully low price because no-one, and I mean no-one, in Sydney wants to buy a 1999 Mazda MX5 privately, not even for a stupidly low price. Be warned people - anything other than an old workhorse or a 4 wheel drive is a tough sell in the Sydney used car market. Walking aimlessly around Sydney during the afternoon (weather is poor by 'holiday' standards - grey, windy and cool, but we love it!). Grocery shopping. Having friends round to a proper English style dinner party on Saturday night (our BBQ went up in flames and melted to the ground last week - hooray!). Its the first of many farewells, and NO, none of the attendees are poms - an eclectic fusion of mixed Australian/Czech couples that we have met along the way.
Wandering aimlessly around Sydney again on Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon reviewing a 180 page report that my boss emailed me a mere 5 minutes ago and asked for detailed comments on "by 8am on Monday morning at the latest". Ho hum, the joys of the ever considerate, ever wonderful, Australian boss.

Just an honest description of this weekend for us. Anyone who makes a post like yours is beneath my contempt.
Have a nice life.
Herman,

you always try to write seemingly well-thought-through and balanced posts, but the one you wrote about the empty weekend stretching ahead of you says more about you, than Sydney, to me.

If you need your family around you to make you happy, well yes, then you've got a problem in Australia, I can see that, but that's hardly Oz' fault. You moan about wandering aimlessly around the streets of Sydney. Again that indicates you have a very hard time taking advantage of what's around you. Fantastic scenery, and if the weather's as mild as you say, at least you can't moan about it being too hot to go for a hike. There's endless cafes, parks, sports clubs, oh but I forgot, they're full of shallow uninteresting Australians, the same ones, I guess, that are now coming to your goodbye parties.

I've lived in countries where we stayed a year or two, and of course the people you get to know there you cannot have the same history with as with friends you've known for many years, but if you're willing and interested you can make extremely interesting and worthwhile friendships.

My husband works for one of the large Swiss banks and he can tell you a story or two about"considerate" Swiss bosses, and colleagues of his who work late into the evening every evening and most weekends as well. Daily articles on the bbc website make it very clear how many and long hours people are expected to work in the UK, to the extent that two-thirds of all fathers hardly ever see their children.

But as I'm beneath your contempt you're probably not going to read this anyway. You have a nice life too.

Sashimi
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
My weekend is shaping up with 2 BBq invites, cleaning the pool, washing the dog, pulling the weeds out of the lawn de bugging the flyscreens.

Dont fancy the beach, its windy and I hate the sandblasting effect on your skin which newly covered in sunblock sticks.

Shops, too pathetic for words.

Restaurant, peed off with them after paying $93 for a mexican meal then having to pay an extra $5 if we wanted chilli on it.

Suppose I could do the Big pineapple again.

Anybody with a more exciting agenda?
Hi there Dotty and everyone.

My weekend started with singing Happy Birthday to my bewildered little girl who is two years old today!

Having a little family party to celebrate. Weather is looking promising as it's dry and there appears to be a little bit of sunshine breaking through.

Got her a wee bike so we might manage to get outside and use it!

Hope everyone else is having fun.

Love Ginny
Old Apr 5th 2003, 10:54 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sashimi
Herman,

you always try to write seemingly well-thought-through and balanced posts, but the one you wrote about the empty weekend stretching ahead of you says more about you, than Sydney, to me.

If you need your family around you to make you happy, well yes, then you've got a problem in Australia, I can see that, but that's hardly Oz' fault. You moan about wandering aimlessly around the streets of Sydney. Again that indicates you have a very hard time taking advantage of what's around you. Fantastic scenery, and if the weather's as mild as you say, at least you can't moan about it being too hot to go for a hike. There's endless cafes, parks, sports clubs, oh but I forgot, they're full of shallow uninteresting Australians, the same ones, I guess, that are now coming to your goodbye parties.

I've lived in countries where we stayed a year or two, and of course the people you get to know there you cannot have the same history with as with friends you've known for many years, but if you're willing and interested you can make extremely interesting and worthwhile friendships.

My husband works for one of the large Swiss banks and he can tell you a story or two about"considerate" Swiss bosses, and colleagues of his who work late into the evening every evening and most weekends as well. Daily articles on the bbc website make it very clear how many and long hours people are expected to work in the UK, to the extent that two-thirds of all fathers hardly ever see their children.

But as I'm beneath your contempt you're probably not going to read this anyway. You have a nice life too.

Sashimi
We enjoy wandering aimlessly FYI. We have 2 weekends left in Sydney, which means lots to sort out, a need to be close to home for selling our possessions, little time for clubs etc. I really dont need to explain myself to you and you really are not remotely qualified to judge me or anyone on this forum with your little outbursts. And yes, I do hold people who are arrogant enough to believe they can judge those they know nothing about with contempt!
Old Apr 5th 2003, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Look, if anybodys bored a new tourist attraction called the Big Ant is just about to open. A 6m x 11 m ant (meat eating type). I am sure this will provide many hours of amusments.
Who says aus is dull.

Dont be too quick to assume comments like "wandering about aimlessly" are sarcastic. Although Sydney is indeed beautiful, many people call it a 3 day wonder city. All the picture postcard bits are really in a very small klm radius. As for the Blue (90 min drive) Mountains, great day out, nice walks, cafes and so pretty, well worth a visit.

I think people who dont live here probably dont appreciate, how far apart and limiting entertainment is here. Think what you could do in a 12 hour drive from London. Here that would take me almost to Sydney or a very very boring drive Northwards to townsville. Or a deserted 12 hours across desert westwards. 12 hours from London I could probably visit 6 other countries, also think what I would see in the UK in 12 hours.

Knock people who live here all you like but you will soon see what we mean after your first exciting its all new first 6 months.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Shiralee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sashimi
Pathetic, all three of you - not counting megalania
Sorry but it seems I've been sorely misled here - I actually thought this section was for expats living in Australia and New Zealand, unless there's a Zurich on the Australian map I've missed then could you please leave your immature and inane comments for your own forum.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 7:18 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Spent yesterday sorting out in the garden cutting the lawn and enjoying the sunshine Husband STILL trying to get rid of 47 years of accomulated 'rubbish'

Today Sunday we are looking forward to meeting with the rest of the 'Essex Girls' and lothers - about 40 we think - in a pub near the M25 All from this site should be a good lunch time

Remember you can have a good time ANYWHERE you live so long as you have the right frame of mind. Even a freezing wet winders day - a nice fire and a good book (plus a glass of plonk):lecture: :lecture:
Old Apr 5th 2003, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont be too quick to assume comments like "wandering about aimlessly" are sarcastic. Although Sydney is indeed beautiful, many people call it a 3 day wonder city. All the picture postcard bits are really in a very small klm radius. As for the Blue (90 min drive) Mountains, great day out, nice walks, cafes and so pretty, well worth a visit.

I think people who dont live here probably dont appreciate, how far apart and limiting entertainment is here. Think what you could do in a 12 hour drive from London. Here that would take me almost to Sydney or a very very boring drive Northwards to townsville. Or a deserted 12 hours across desert westwards. 12 hours from London I could probably visit 6 other countries, also think what I would see in the UK in 12 hours.

Knock people who live here all you like but you will soon see what we mean after your first exciting its all new first 6 months.
Dotty,

maybe using the word "pathetic" was coming on a bit strong. It's just that having read quite a few of your and PS and Herman's earlier posts after reading the headline of this one, it was difficult to assume that much of what was being written was meant to be "positive" God, it's difficult saying this, one word wrong and people jump down one's throat.

I can appreciate that especially living where you do that, yes maybe, it's limited what there is in entertainment and that you do have to drive very far to get anywhere. But what I was referring to with Herman and the "aimlessly wandering" was, also based on earlier posts where he points out how little there is to do and how boring it gets, that aimlessly wandering was not any fun, as he in response to your question "anybody with a more exciting agenda" writes "no" . And, yes, I don't live in Oz, yet, but it doesn't mean I haven't been there, and if you live in a city whether Adelaide, Sydney or even Zurich, there are quite a few things to do, but even here and in the UK, you live in a place it becomes routine, the lake, the 5,10, or 20 cafes or the art museum etc. they don't change anymore than attractions don't change in Sydney.

Herman, now who's the one doing the "outbursting"? But, no I don't know you, but for someone who has posted as much as you have, you cannot realistically expect people not to get an impression, at least. But, unless I've written something now to offend you, I suggest we call it a truce and all the best for your life back in Europe.

Shiralee, I didn't know that places like Kent, York, London or Scotland where in Australia.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

'...Dont fancy the beach, its windy and I hate the sandblasting effect on your skin which newly covered in sunblock sticks...'

Don't complain Dotty - get yourself down to that beach - people over here pay hundreds for those sandblasting face peel anti ageing treatments!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Prestons
'...Dont fancy the beach, its windy and I hate the sandblasting effect on your skin which newly covered in sunblock sticks...'

Don't complain Dotty - get yourself down to that beach - people over here pay hundreds for those sandblasting face peel anti ageing treatments!

It might blast that permanent frown off your face

Stoney
Old Apr 6th 2003, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stoney
It might blast that permanent frown off your face

Stoney
Well said Stoney!!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Sydney is a fantastic city and I certainly wouldn't complain if I lived there. There are loads of things to do and other great places fairly nearby, like the hunter valley where some of the best wines in the world are produced.

Go on, go on a wine tour and let your hair down dotty etc, you might even have fun, woohoooo !!!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

12 hour drive from London going North to Manchester, 2 hours to get out of London sat in traffic jams, 2 hours stuck on the M6 at Birmingham, an hour stuck in traffic jam on M6 Thelwall viaduct. Traffic down to a crawl on M56 roadworks another hour to get to city center.

So thats 7 hours to do 250 miles. !!! and it lashed it down all the way.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 3:07 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88
12 hour drive from London going North to Manchester, 2 hours to get out of London sat in traffic jams, 2 hours stuck on the M6 at Birmingham, an hour stuck in traffic jam on M6 Thelwall viaduct. Traffic down to a crawl on M56 roadworks another hour to get to city center.

Try a new car or change your route the A5 is a good standby done London from the midlands in less than 120 mins to cover 100 miles going down the A5 even the M1 is a better bet , forget the M6 its the most over used Motorway in the UK.

PS nice bit from an Email I got last week

One big difference that you will notice is the opportunity for cheap european travel. If you go at the right time and are flexible with flight times, you can go abroad for the same cost as filling your car with 80p a litre fuel (Robbing bas***ds) and driving to Scotland and back.

You are a football fan and you can travel to watch big european games for little more than the price of a night out in the UK.

My mate is a golfer and will fly to Portugal or Spain for a game in our winter. My mate who lives in Portugal has flown to Bristol airport out of season for £19 and will then look on the internet for the cheapest return.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 6th 2003 at 4:36 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by karawara88

I guess you could use twelve hours to do that, or maybe a day trip to France. up to the cotswolds, down to devon, day out in Hastings, brighton, shopping trip to Nottingham..................

Youll know what we mean once youve lived here, day trip to the desert, big pineapple, big ant, 12 hours of looking at dead trees la de dah.........

And by the way we get lovely traffic jams here, even more lovely in 35 degree heat. Gridlocks in rush hour in sydney and Brisbane and Melbourne probably too. School traffic here something out of a nightmare. Of course the ugly deserted desert strips are nice and empty, dont go to fast tho you might hit a kangaroo and kill yourself, or if lucky you'll get done in by some murdering maniac, they love pommies enjoy he he!

By the way 100 or 110 is the top speed here, one lane highways the norm, bet you wont be going anywhere too fast here either, fine for speeding in NSW $545 according to the signs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.