Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life Insurance on a Temp Visa

Life Insurance on a Temp Visa

Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:26 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default Life Insurance on a Temp Visa

Will there be any problems buying life insurance when i'm on a temp visa (457)

I'm coming over on a 457 and its being converted to ENS while i'm there but i'd like to get insurance immeadiately incase anything should happen to me so that i can make sure my wife and daughter are okay?

anyone any experience of this?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:42 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default Re: Life Insurance on a Temp Visa

Originally Posted by cam_uk

I'm coming over on a 457 and its being converted to ENS while i'm there but i'd like to get insurance immeadiately incase anything should happen to me so that i can make sure my wife and daughter are okay?

anyone?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:05 am
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but...

All the life insurance junk mail that I get rule out anyone apart from PR's, so this rules us out. I'm sure you would be able to get it, just need to shop around. However, that said I get $40K life cover built into my Super, not a lot but better than FA.

If you're worried, why not take some out in the UK for at least a couple of years. It should still be valid in Australia. Me and the wife are stll being covered by our UK life policies.

Dave
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:08 am
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but...

All the life insurance junk mail that I get rule out anyone apart from PR's, so this rules us out. I'm sure you would be able to get it, just need to shop around. However, that said I get $40K life cover built into my Super, not a lot but better than FA.

If you're worried, why not take some out in the UK for at least a couple of years. It should still be valid in Australia. Me and the wife are stll being covered by our UK life policies.

Dave
I didn't think about my UK cover. (i pay it monthly so i'm pretty sure i'll expire when i leave unless i keep sending payments back) I'll look into it tho

Cheers
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:24 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

we had a smilar situation, the insurance company told us, aparently if you already have uk life cover and if you own a property in UK and you keep paying it you are fine.

If you dont tho they wont pay out should you die, if you didnt tell them you are going to aus to live for more than a year.

We tried to get life cover and couldnt get it here as on 457 TEMP VISA, also the insurance companys in England wouldnt give us it as we intended living out of england for more than a year, and apparentely you are more likley to kick the bucket if you live abroad?????

But we have some life cover with our super and we pay a little extra to bump it up. hope this helps....

laura

Last edited by lauralollipop; Oct 13th 2005 at 7:27 am.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:29 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We had no problem with keeping our life and critical illness policies in the UK. Check with your insurance company. We are on a 457 and the interest on our money in the UK pays for the policies so we are not having to transfer dollars over.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:32 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

In exactly the same boat!
We used www.sherwin.com.au/contact.html in Brisbane.
We now have life insurance as well as sickness insurance. We also set up our own super fund with them too.
Couldn't fault them.

Andrew
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:15 am
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by andrew63
In exactly the same boat!
We used www.sherwin.com.au/contact.html in Brisbane.
We now have life insurance as well as sickness insurance. We also set up our own super fund with them too.
Couldn't fault them.

Andrew
Cheers andrew, I'll send an email off to them now asking what my options are ...

changing the subject slightly .. how long did it take for your 457 to come through after you had your chest xray. I have mine today and was wondering how long it will take from now

cheers

Cameron
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice
Post Re: Life Insurance on a Temp Visa

I didn't think about my UK cover. (i pay it monthly so i'm pretty sure i'll expire when i leave unless i keep sending payments back) I'll look into it tho

Cheers
I called our life insurance company here in the Uk yesterday, and they advised me that our cover is still valid when we move to Australia as long as the premuims are paid from a UK bank account. They were also happy to accept an Australia correspondence address, ie you don't have to give a Uk address.
Hope this helps.

Tracy