Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life insurance in Oz

Life insurance in Oz

Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:04 am
Just Joined

jtr648 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life insurance in Oz

I am moving over to Oz in early October on a PR visa and I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me whether I, along with my better half, would be able to take out life insurance with an Oz based company.

Also, a question for those who have knowledge of this subject in the UK and Oz, how do premiums compare in Oz to the UK.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

John
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life insurance in Oz

Don't know the answer I'm afraid but I have found all other insurances have been cheaper...House, contents, car etc.

One thing to check is that you can get cover with your Superfund. Not sure if they all offer it but a lot do. Would be worth checking how the cover and cost of that compares with a stand alone policy.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtr648
I am moving over to Oz in early October on a PR visa and I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me whether I, along with my better half, would be able to take out life insurance with an Oz based company.

Also, a question for those who have knowledge of this subject in the UK and Oz, how do premiums compare in Oz to the UK.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

John
http://www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/...nce/index.aspx
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Depends if you need job specific life insurance ie construction-painter working at heights.We have insurance through Zurich.just life insurance,no trauma cover.If you get covered together it works out a bit cheaper.Have a look on their website,has a list of occupations and then decide amount of cover.It should give you an instant quote.

We are moving back to Scotland,i rang Zurich and explained,asking if i would need a new policy? (once we got to UK) they told me no need as we are covered 24/7 anywhere in the world.You can always phone the UK one and find out where you would stand ,do you have insurance in the UK which may be transferable?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

I pay $150 with Tower Ins. for $800k for me and $400k for OH, including serious illness. Seems like a lot. Unlike Ireland it isnt compulsory here to have Life Insurance when getting a mortgage. We also have 3 under 4yrs so I'd die again if I left them up the creek
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Some super funds give everyone a basic amount of insurance paperwork free, for a small premium, which you can change by applying for a different amount.

I noticed with mine (SunSuper) that the std included insurance that everyone gets assumes you are an average risk - if you are actually low risk, professional, non smoker etc and you fill out the forms to apply - you get double the amount of insurance for the same premium you were already paying.

In other words $3/week for $80,000 cover (I've made up figures) becomes $3/week for $160,000 just for filling in the forms.

Of course I haven't filled them out yet
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

jtr648 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply's and the links.