Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life Insurance !! Call Me Paranoid

Life Insurance !! Call Me Paranoid

Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Life Insurance !! Call Me Paranoid

I have been looking around at travel insurance which will then carry on to be our initial form of life insurance for say the first couple of months living Aus i could only find one site in a paper called "Australian Outlook" which was www.go-walkabout.com , but they will only insure up to 17 days after arrival.

Anyone one know of any others?

Thanks
Martin
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Life Insurance !! Call Me Paranoid

Originally Posted by tabby
I have been looking around at travel insurance which will then carry on to be our initial form of life insurance for say the first couple of months living Aus i could only find one site in a paper called "Australian Outlook" which was www.go-walkabout.com , but they will only insure up to 17 days after arrival.

Thanks
Martin
You may be better taking a regular life assurance policy, im sure they are valid even if in australia, you could cancel after a few months.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Thanks
Martin
Hi

We used a company in Surrey who I found on the net and you could choose how much cover you wanted once you arrived in Aus. It was one-way travel insurance and then extra cover in Aus if you wanted it. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called and can't seem to find it on the net. Will carry on looking though and update this if I find it. The name of the company was a guy's name....peter or philip or something like that. Got all the docs at home so if I can't find it on the net - i'll check at home later! Sorry not much help!!!

Good Luck
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nmccallum
Hi

We used a company in Surrey who I found on the net and you could choose how much cover you wanted once you arrived in Aus. It was one-way travel insurance and then extra cover in Aus if you wanted it. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called and can't seem to find it on the net. Will carry on looking though and update this if I find it. The name of the company was a guy's name....peter or philip or something like that. Got all the docs at home so if I can't find it on the net - i'll check at home later! Sorry not much help!!!

Good Luck
Thanks for your reply, and any help would appreciated
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:45 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Martin
Try duinsure and the post office too. Some (I forget which) allow you to specify longer periods at a cost. But then if it is just life assurance you are after I would buy that separately. For the record, all 4 policies I have in the UK could remain valid in Australia so long as I carry on contributing. I have cancelled the two endowment ones as I want the capital but will leave the others in situ. So you could buy some in the UK and take it with you?
Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your reply, and any help would appreciated
Hi Tabby

Bad news - looks like the company I was talking about - Patrick Leigh - is no longer!!!! I checked the docs last night and have just tried to access to website - but it no longer exists.

Sorry about that! Hope you can find what you are loooking for!!
Good Luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmccallum
Hi Tabby

Bad news - looks like the company I was talking about - Patrick Leigh - is no longer!!!! I checked the docs last night and have just tried to access to website - but it no longer exists.

Sorry about that! Hope you can find what you are loooking for!!
Good Luck!
That's OK thanks for your help

Tabby
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:30 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

what the hell is life insurance??

Thanks
Martin
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:53 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Thanks
Martin
Paranoid? Just a bit!!! I didn't even have travel insurance, keep my important docs with me and bugger the rest - mostly clothes anyway.

They do sell life insurance in Aus, I think anyone with a pulse and is prepared to pay the premium will be accepted! If you are coming to Perth, I work for a Financial Planner, I'm sure he'd sell you a hefty policy!

MC
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:19 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
You may be better taking a regular life assurance policy, im sure they are valid even if in australia, you could cancel after a few months.
I agree! I've spoken to our existing Insurers and they're happy to continue our policy when we move to Oz as long as we keep a UK bank account to pay it from. What they won't do however is to cover us with a new policy stating that we're moving to oz - the bottom line is don't tell them until the policy is up and running!

HTH