Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life Insurance in Australia

Life Insurance in Australia

Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:10 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all
Default Re: Life Insurance in Australia

The question asked is 'Do you intend to permanently reside outside the UK or is there prospect of you doing so in the future?'. So yes I would be. I would also suggest that it would require you state if you had a visa.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulry
Surely you wont be lying if you take out insurance while you're still resident here? Choose one of the companies that you know are okay with people subsequently moving to Australia.
If anybody finds a company whcih are okay with people subsequently moving to Australia then could they let me know - I have tried absolutely every one (I think) with no luck.

It seems that some companies will keep covering you as long as you had no intention of moving when you took out the policy. Unfortunately our insurance company, Fortis, won't cover us even though we didn't intend to move when we took out the policy.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:40 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjj
The question asked is 'Do you intend to permanently reside outside the UK or is there prospect of you doing so in the future?'. So yes I would be. I would also suggest that it would require you state if you had a visa.
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that question. Have you tried typing "life insurance expatriates" in a google search? I just did and loads of possibles came up.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjj
The point being that if you are about to leave the UK, it's too late to take out life insurance based on UK risk profiles.

HOWEVER, if you took out life insurance in the past, before migration was contemplated, the insurance company cannot then cancel it when you move outside the country UNLESS the terms and conditions expressly allow for this.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really niceAndrew Williams is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
The point being that if you are about to leave the UK, it's too late to take out life insurance based on UK risk profiles.

HOWEVER, if you took out life insurance in the past, before migration was contemplated, the insurance company cannot then cancel it when you move outside the country UNLESS the terms and conditions expressly allow for this.

Absolutely correct JAJ.

Therefore it is not just a case of whether the insurance company say it is ok, you should ask them to clarify if the question "do you have any intention to live or work (sometimes it asks travel) outside of the EU/UK" was in the application form when you applied for cover and if it was consider whether you had made any enquiries as to moving to Australia at that time.

Obviously it would be very hard for an insurance company to prove you were thinking of moving to Australia but if you had already started looking into the process ie visited migration agents etc it may cause issues at claim time.

Insurance is all about disclosure, just because cover is in place it doesn't mean that they will pay out.

This isn't intended to scaremonger but just for people who have been told it is ok to keep cover going to consider and perhaps reconfirm with your provider. It was generally policies taken out around late 90's early 2000's that had this question in it.

Regards

Andy

Last edited by Andrew Williams; Aug 5th 2010 at 11:55 pm.