Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life insurance in Australia

Life insurance in Australia

Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Life insurance in Australia

My husband and i are in the process of emigratig and not sure what to do about life insurance, our policys are tied in with our endowment but we will be selling the house and will have to take out new life insurance,is it expensive in australia? jANET.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Life insurance in Australia

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
My husband and i are in the process of emigratig and not sure what to do about life insurance, our policys are tied in with our endowment but we will be selling the house and will have to take out new life insurance,is it expensive in australia? jANET.

Hi Janet,
I'd like an answer to this also....Our policy wa linked to our endowment, but we are keeping it on and leaving enough money in an account to pay it for a year or two.
BB
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:27 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life insurance in Australia

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
It may be worth getting some life insurance sorted out over here prior to moving (but dont mention your immigration!). Both of the companies that we are with now are happy to continue the life cover as long as we retain uk bank accounts to pay them. When you get to Oz if you find you can get it cheaper there then there would be nothing stopping you from cancelling the UK ones when the Oz ones are running but it would at least be one thing to cross of the list of things to do immediately!

Sorry I haven't really answered your post but thought it might be of some use!

Good luck
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

Hi Janet, Not sure about the cost of life cover in Oz but we have pure life cover policies (no savings element) here in the UK and we checked with the providers if we could continue to pay the premiums if we emigrated to Oz and that they WOULD still pay out in the event I popped my cloggs!! They said no problem as long as the premiums are continued to be paid. You can continue your endowment policies but you may then be liable to tax on the proceeds in OZ at maturity (there are threads on here somewhere about this!) If you decide to cash in your endowments it may be worthwhile considering replacing your life cover here in the UK (if time allows) and then reviewing the situation in Oz when you can compare cost. Hope this helps! I am sure you will gets lots of replies!!! Trev.xx p.s. Don't think there would be any Oz tax issues on UK based life policies with no savings element, as there is no investment. Right guys???? C'mon Kirsty&Al and GinaUK!!!!!!!

Last edited by TrickyTrev; Sep 1st 2005 at 7:29 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTrev
Hi Janet, Not sure about the cost of life cover in Oz but we have pure life cover policies (no savings element) here in the UK and we checked with the providers if we could continue to pay the premiums if we emigrated to Oz and that they WOULD still pay out in the event I popped my cloggs!! They said no problem as long as the premiums are continued to be paid. You can continue your endowment policies but you may then be liable to tax on the proceeds in OZ at maturity (there are threads on here somewhere about this!) If you decide to cash in your endowments it may be worthwhile considering replacing your life cover here in the UK (if time allows) and then reviewing the situation in Oz when you can compare cost. Hope this helps! I am sure you will gets lots of replies!!! Trev.xx p.s. Don't think there would be any Oz tax issues on UK based life policies with no savings element, as there is no investment. Right guys???? C'mon Kirsty&Al and GinaUK!!!!!!!
Thanks to everyone for your replies Janet