Life is good

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 4:01 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Maybe you don't have to be that old Herman. If you had bought a property in London or the SE of England in the mid-1980s when you were in your early 20's (and are now aged early 40's), and have been in a professional or managerial job in Central London for a few years I reckon £300k of equity is within reach of more than you might think.

If you were into the UK housing market in the late 80's or early 90's it's a different story of course, but there are quite a few with that sort of equity looking to do something different with their lives and Australia offers the opportunity to have a good way of life, to fly back to the UK for holidays or to see family when the need arises, and to get out of the rat race.

And who can blame them ... ?

Best regards.
I must mix in wrong circles as none of my 30 year old friends come close to this kind of wealth/equity. Mind you, none of my friends bought property in their early 20's in London as even back then it was well beyond their reach. I dont blame people at all, why not. If you can afford to escape the rat race and want some peace and quiet you cant go wrong with Oz.
I'm very jealous of those who have this kind of equity to splash around and Australia is not the only place that kind of money will go very far indeed - USA, France, Spain, Eastern European countries (could buy a mansion surrounded by pine forest in my wifes country (Czech Republic and live like a king for the rest of your life on 300,000 pounds, and its only 1.5 hours to the UK).
If we had a spare $1 million our decision to leave Sydney would probably be much harder. As it is, we cant afford the place which helps make the decision that much easier. Maybe we'll return one day with a wad of UK housing market generated equity burning a hole in our pockets!
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 4:31 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Herman,

I did say that those aged in their early 40's might be in this position. Here's a real life example: I and my then fiance (now my wife) bought a flat in 1986 when I was an articled clerk at a firm of accountants in London and she was a PA - joint income then about £14k I recall. The flat we bought in Beddington (near Croydon) cost about £44k and we had a 100% mortgage. We sold it a couple of years later for £70k and bought a house costing £95k. Sold that a few years later and bought another house costing £157k in 1997.

We received an inheritance, developed the house and at last count it was worth £380 to £400k. Mind you we still have a not insubstantial mortgage on it, but as I said in my last posting I'm sure we're typical of a sizeable number working in London and the SE - the house price growth in the SE has been phenomenal in the last 5 years.

If you also factor in inheritances (sadly this becomes more of an issue for those of us in our late 30s and early 40s) it is quite possible to acquire equity of £300k.

On another tack, it seems to me that the problem all this property price growth in the SE creates is the gap between the haves and the have-nots - how nurses and other necessary people in the support services in the SE are expected to get onto the housing ladder and/or have money to enjoy their lives is beyond me. And those who do have mortgages have to work damn hard to earn enough to make the repayments, and/or both partners have to go to work. Add all this to the struggle of the daily grind to even get to and from work in London and the SE and these are probably more reasons driving people to look for different lifestyle choices, including living in Australia.

Am starting to ramble, so I'll stop here ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by Herman
I must mix in wrong circles as none of my 30 year old friends come close to this kind of wealth/equity. Mind you, none of my friends bought property in their early 20's in London as even back then it was well beyond their reach. I dont blame people at all, why not. If you can afford to escape the rat race and want some peace and quiet you cant go wrong with Oz.
I'm very jealous of those who have this kind of equity to splash around and Australia is not the only place that kind of money will go very far indeed - USA, France, Spain, Eastern European countries (could buy a mansion surrounded by pine forest in my wifes country (Czech Republic and live like a king for the rest of your life on 300,000 pounds, and its only 1.5 hours to the UK).
If we had a spare $1 million our decision to leave Sydney would probably be much harder. As it is, we cant afford the place which helps make the decision that much easier. Maybe we'll return one day with a wad of UK housing market generated equity burning a hole in our pockets!
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 5:00 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Herman,

I did say that those aged in their early 40's might be in this position. Here's a real life example: I and my then fiance (now my wife) bought a flat in 1986 when I was an articled clerk at a firm of accountants in London and she was a PA - joint income then about £14k I recall. The flat we bought in Beddington (near Croydon) cost about £44k and we had a 100% mortgage. We sold it a couple of years later for £70k and bought a house costing £95k. Sold that a few years later and bought another house costing £157k in 1997.

We received an inheritance, developed the house and at last count it was worth £380 to £400k. Mind you we still have a not insubstantial mortgage on it, but as I said in my last posting I'm sure we're typical of a sizeable number working in London and the SE - the house price growth in the SE has been phenomenal in the last 5 years.

If you also factor in inheritances (sadly this becomes more of an issue for those of us in our late 30s and early 40s) it is quite possible to acquire equity of £300k.

On another tack, it seems to me that the problem all this property price growth in the SE creates is the gap between the haves and the have-nots - how nurses and other necessary people in the support services in the SE are expected to get onto the housing ladder and/or have money to enjoy their lives is beyond me. And those who do have mortgages have to work damn hard to earn enough to make the repayments, and/or both partners have to go to work. Add all this to the struggle of the daily grind to even get to and from work in London and the SE and these are probably more reasons driving people to look for different lifestyle choices, including living in Australia.

Am starting to ramble, so I'll stop here ...

Best regards.
Yes you did say 40's, I should read more carefully. Good example though. Also I forgot to mention that most of my friends are average folk who dont live in London. Those who do live in London have only been property owners for at the most 5 years.
We are not in the housing market here or in the UK and are waiting for housing market in the UK to cool off a bit. We could have afforded to buy an investment property at any time in last year but I dont like buying assets in bubble markets, so have been happy to rent and wait. In the meantime we've been saving like buggery and watching the housing market very carefully. I've got friends who think house prices will never fall. Nonsense - tell that to the Bank of England and the main mortgage lenders who I know from a recent due diligence are already provisioning for the post collapse bad debts.
Having lived in London I know all about the liefstyle issues in the South East, which is why we're going back to South Glos. We'll never live in the South East again and if in a few years time the South West becomes as overcrowded as the SE then we'll go somewhere else.
There are actually some interesting demographic shifts happening in the UK at the moment: low earners are steering clear of the SE putting pressure on businesses there, foreign buy to let investors are cashing in (particularly Asian investors who've been flooding out of London - I've seen the numbers), professionals are migrating away from the SE to other parts of the UK and overseas (like Australia!), there has been a shortage of supply of smaller houses and oversupply of larger houses as baby boomers cashed in and make up for pension fund shortfalls which has started to tail off as house prices for large houses have begun to recede, average sale time has been creeping up across the South as buyers have begun to hold onto the purse strings......
I'd be cashing in now if I was a prospective seller.... oops, now who's rambling....
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 6:14 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Not just London and SE but SW and other desirable hotspots too. I've been watching it pretty carefully for a few years. A typical good 2 bedroom flat in Clifton, Bristol was around GBP90K in 1996/7 and now is around GBP250K. The villages around Bristol have done even better. A standard mid-terrace 3 bedroom house in Bodmin has typically gone from GBP40K to GBP100K in the last 5 years. I lent my little sister the deposit to get her going on a 2 bedroom flat in Edinburgh and that's gone from GBP60K to GBP100K in 3 years.

But I gather hotspots in NZ and Aus have seen big increases too...?

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Maybe you don't have to be that old Herman. If you had bought a property in London or the SE of England in the mid-1980s when you were in your early 20's (and are now aged early 40's), and have been in a professional or managerial job in Central London for a few years I reckon £300k of equity is within reach of more than you might think.

If you were into the UK housing market in the late 80's or early 90's it's a different story of course, but there are quite a few with that sort of equity looking to do something different with their lives and Australia offers the opportunity to have a good way of life, to fly back to the UK for holidays or to see family when the need arises, and to get out of the rat race.

And who can blame them ... ?

No one blames them Alan. They just don't like having their noses rubbed in it. Personally, I am very comfortably off (in either UK or Oz terms), but have no intention of stating the extent of my wealth on this site. However, there are many in the UK who are dreaming of a better life over here without the vast wodge of capital that Pat is going on about. For a lot of people in the UK, who don't live in London or the South East, and who haven't been in a "professional or managerial job" the dream of Oz is one where they can make something of themselves without too much dosh. I appreciate you have a hidden agenda here, but come on...

Best regards.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 7:37 am
Don
Banned

Herman - did you consider investing in Czech Republic for a few years to take advantage of the property market? I know the C&EE region pretty well. As far as I can see it's a one way bet. I think the key area is building plots within 30-45 mins of capital city centre, where the value is yet to be fully outed IMO. The governments are encouraging private house construction with subsidised loans. With these countries joining the EU in May 2004 and enormous continual increase in spending power of the younger middle classes, values are only going one way - and fast. Outside Prague, Budapest, Warsaw you can still pick up a good 1000 sq metre building plot for about GBP20-25K. I predict if you choose the right location, you'll see that double in 4-5 years. Plus the currencies have all been strengthening vs the Euro, GBP and USD over the last 18 months or so and you only have to look in the back pages of the Economist to see the relative outperformance of the local economies in the last few years (with a couple of blips).

You could get an expat job in Prague, make your money and after that retire to the country pad in SW England.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life is good

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Timisoara which used to be in Hungary???

Cheers - Don
first Serbian, then Hungarian, then Turkish, then Austro-Hungarian and now Romanian city, yes.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Alan and I also don't think you were being smug, Pat.

There are many people in the SE who have made a lot of money on their properties, and good luck to them. The properties we bought were run down and we had to work damn hard doing them up. The people who are smug are the ones saying "oohh, you won't be able to buy a property for that amount any more in Brisbane etc, although we did of course, aren't we clever! YOU will have to pay far more now!" Thats what I call smug.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 9:47 pm

Herman - did you consider investing in Czech Republic for a few years to take advantage of the property market? I know the C&EE region pretty well. As far as I can see it's a one way bet. I think the key area is building plots within 30-45 mins of capital city centre, where the value is yet to be fully outed IMO. The governments are encouraging private house construction with subsidised loans. With these countries joining the EU in May 2004 and enormous continual increase in spending power of the younger middle classes, values are only going one way - and fast. Outside Prague, Budapest, Warsaw you can still pick up a good 1000 sq metre building plot for about GBP20-25K. I predict if you choose the right location, you'll see that double in 4-5 years. Plus the currencies have all been strengthening vs the Euro, GBP and USD over the last 18 months or so and you only have to look in the back pages of the Economist to see the relative outperformance of the local economies in the last few years (with a couple of blips).

You could get an expat job in Prague, make your money and after that retire to the country pad in SW England.

Cheers - Don
Don, you are a mind reader.
I actually secured a job offer some months ago for Prague if we want it. There always seems to be a demand for accountants! Although the "ex pat" deals no longer really exist as they used to, its not a bad job offer. We are just not so sure about living in Prague again as its becoming very crowded and congested.
We are definitely going to buy a property in the Czech Republic and plan to do it in May next year when go to visit my wife's parents. The plan has always been to buy as close to Austrian border as possible so we have a holiday home for summer hols and for winter skiing. Last night we saw a 4 bedroom house in the right location (4 hours from Prague, 3 hours from Austrian skiing and 3 hours from my wife's parents in the South East of CzR) which had 4,000 sq metres of land and was in a lovely country setting. The price? Kc750,000 or 15,000 pounds.
Just before this post I made a similar post about retirement because we were having fun last night calculating that at the ripe old age of 32 and my wife 29, we have enough savings to be able to buy a house in the Czech Republic and retire on the interest we earn on the balance. We may even do it for a couple of years and write that travel book we've always wanted to.....
Old Dec 4th 2002, 12:59 am
Don
Banned

Trouble is, (though maybe it's a good thing,) I reckon we're in for a couple of decades at least of low inflation, low interest rates (C&EE countries joining Euro too fairly soon so local interest rates declining), and low typical equity returns. So even with (say) GBP500K in capital you still might only average 5% return, maybe GBP25K annually, then there's tax to pay and what about capital erosion?

Sigh, better carry on working folks.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 4th 2002, 4:34 am

Trouble is, (though maybe it's a good thing,) I reckon we're in for a couple of decades at least of low inflation, low interest rates (C&EE countries joining Euro too fairly soon so local interest rates declining), and low typical equity returns. So even with (say) GBP500K in capital you still might only average 5% return, maybe GBP25K annually, then there's tax to pay and what about capital erosion?

Sigh, better carry on working folks.

Cheers - Don
Compound growth, thats the answer!
Capital erosion would be a bit of an issue. UK property, might again be a sensible investment if the bubble bursts and rental yields improve. Thats where we will one day park our money. I'd sack my fund manager if I could'nt do better than 5% on GBP500K! You can get 4.75% on a single aussie dollar using internet savings accounts here. In a country like the Czech Republic you could currently survive in the country on about GBP10k pa before tax - thats as much if not more than the locals earn. My wife's brother gets by on about GBP3k pa.
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:01 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pat
Well we have now been here for 5 weeks and so far no regrets. The weather is beautiful , no traffic (compared to London), cheap housing and, lots of new friends and a much more sociable lifestyle. Just bought two new cars, a four bedroomed detached house with a shed the size of Kent and still have A$500k left. Everyday I thank the property boom in the UK and am grateful that I didn't listen to the likes of PB and his constant whingeing. I know its early days but I think that we are in for a good life. All of you still trying don't give up ,its great when you get here.
Pat and family
Nice to hear a success story. Good luck to you all.

Cinderella
Old Dec 4th 2002, 10:40 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cinderella
Nice to hear a success story. Good luck to you all.

Cinderella
Just bring the odd million dollars with you and your life could be so good , wake up before you have a nightmare.Maybe this good lady is now enjoying it slightly hotter as those in NSW are right now?thanks to prats setting half of it on fire.

RESIDENTS of the Glenorie area were picking through the remains of their homes after ferocious bushfires swept across Sydney's north-west.

At least 15 Glenorie homes were razed yesterday, with many evacuated residents spending the night at Glenorie RSL Club.

Club manager Bob Freer today said devastated families had spent the night comforting each other before returning this morning to what was left of their homes.

"Most of them have left the club now to go back and see what's left of their homes and see what the situation is," Mr Freer said today.

"It's terrible to see the families

"Glenorie is quite a village, you can tell I'm a bit upset about it all. Everyone pulls together and we'll get through this."

Up to 30 homes were lost around Sydney yesterday as a spate of fires blazed to the city's north and south.

Rural Fire Service Commissioner Phil Koperberg has warned more homes were likely to be lost today, with forecasters predicting high temperatures and strong winds.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 4th 2002 at 10:49 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2002, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pat
Well we have now been here for 5 weeks and so far no regrets. The weather is beautiful , no traffic (compared to London), cheap housing and, lots of new friends and a much more sociable lifestyle. Just bought two new cars, a four bedroomed detached house with a shed the size of Kent and still have A$500k left. Everyday I thank the property boom in the UK and am grateful that I didn't listen to the likes of PB and his constant whingeing. I know its early days but I think that we are in for a good life. All of you still trying don't give up ,its great when you get here.
Pat and family

Hi All!

This has turned into a boring socio/economic thread! Although i think Pat may have been a bit more subtle when describing what he's bought and how much money he's got, He was only trying to say that he and his family have arrived safe and settled in well! Good luck to them!
They may have had good jobs in UK and done well from the sale of property etc. but i happen to think that which ever part of the uk we are from, and what we do for a living etc. when we get to Oz we are all in for a better quality of life than what we used to here, whether we take a 'zillion squid' or go to Oz with 'two bob'in our pockets!

Cheers!
Old Dec 5th 2002, 10:47 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by poggle
Hi All!

This has turned into a boring socio/economic thread! Although i think Pat may have been a bit more subtle when describing what he's bought and how much money he's got, He was only trying to say that he and his family have arrived safe and settled in well! Good luck to them!
They may have had good jobs in UK and done well from the sale of property etc. but i happen to think that which ever part of the uk we are from, and what we do for a living etc. when we get to Oz we are all in for a better quality of life than what we used to here, whether we take a 'zillion squid' or go to Oz with 'two bob'in our pockets!

Cheers!

So lets get this right . income makes no difference to lifestyle , and you will have a far better life with a lesser job and less money because its great to be bottom of the ladder in Oz .
Keep watching Home and Away its full of the fantasy thats in your dreams , maybe they have a better lifestyle in India or Albania ?
You poor soul being born in such a poor country as the UK having a bad education and earning them worthless pounds , never mind come half way round the world things are lots nicer here , no one has to work all things are free and everyone laughs all day with the joy of it all.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 6th 2002 at 12:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.