Life is good

Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:35 pm
Pat
Forum Regular

Pat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life is good

Well we have now been here for 5 weeks and so far no regrets. The weather is beautiful , no traffic (compared to London), cheap housing and, lots of new friends and a much more sociable lifestyle. Just bought two new cars, a four bedroomed detached house with a shed the size of Kent and still have A$500k left. Everyday I thank the property boom in the UK and am grateful that I didn't listen to the likes of PB and his constant whingeing. I know its early days but I think that we are in for a good life. All of you still trying don't give up ,its great when you get here.
Pat and family
Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

woodbine is an unknown quantity at this point

And where is it you've moved to?

Our visas have just been granted and as soon as we've sold the house we're off to SE Melbourne
Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:57 pm
Pat
Forum Regular

Originally posted by woodbine
And where is it you've moved to?

Our visas have just been granted and as soon as we've sold the house we're off to SE Melbourne
Woodbine, we have moved to town called Shepparton about 180k north of Melbourne. Its about two hours drive on a freeway with less traffic on it than the M25 at 4am. Once you hit Melbourne its busier but nothing like the S/E UK. Funny enough my wife has gone to Melbourne this morning to do Xmas shopping.
Regards Pat
Old Dec 1st 2002, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life is good

Originally posted by Pat
Just bought two new cars, a four bedroomed detached house with a shed the size of Kent and still have A$500k left. Everyday I thank the property boom in the UK and am grateful that I didn't listen to the likes of PB and his constant whingeing. I know its early days but I think that we are in for a good life. All of you still trying don't give up ,its great when you get here.
Pat and family
Indeed is.
After I payed all my bonds, bought a few pieces of used furniture and appliances I still have AUD10k left. Everyday I thank the property boom in the nice city of Timisoara, Romania because of which now I have 10k to rely on and not 7. I know its early days but I think that we are in for a good life. All of you still trying don't give up, its great when you get here.

Me and my shabby family.

:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Dec 1st 2002, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Dear Pat,

Thanks for the update, it is always good to hear from the REAL people who know, not those that are out to sabotage things for everyone else.
It sounds like you are living a great life out there and I am sure that the extra money helps!!
The weather here has been bad, the wettest Nov for 30 years, it has literally rained every day. The only thing that keeps us going is the thought that our house is still rising in price and that £1 in the hand is worth $2.8 in the bush!!
Great news, keep us all posted with your progress, we need cheering up with all the negatvie comments that we get.

Best of luck

Tina
Old Dec 1st 2002, 5:38 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mxqth
Indeed is.
After I payed all my bonds, bought a few pieces of used furniture and appliances I still have AUD10k left. Everyday I thank the property boom in the nice city of Timisoara, Romania because of which now I have 10k to rely on and not 7. I know its early days but I think that we are in for a good life. All of you still trying don't give up, its great when you get here.

Me and my shabby family.

:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Timisoara which used to be in Hungary???

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 12:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pat
Well we have now been here for 5 weeks and so far no regrets. The weather is beautiful , no traffic (compared to London), cheap housing and, lots of new friends and a much more sociable lifestyle. Just bought two new cars, a four bedroomed detached house with a shed the size of Kent and still have A$500k left. Everyday I thank the property boom in the UK and am grateful that I didn't listen to the likes of PB and his constant whingeing. I know its early days but I think that we are in for a good life. All of you still trying don't give up ,its great when you get here.
Pat and family

Its nice to know you are so wealthy are the good people following you so well off ? You are indeed lucky to have gained your wealth in the UK unlike us poor souls trying to earn a crust in the land of plenty, its wonderful to hear from smug sods like you.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 2nd 2002 at 3:06 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 8:17 am
Pat
Forum Regular

Smug PB?, not not smug just grateful and appreciative to be in this position. The purpose of this post was to show that the average UK family(and yes I was one with a mortgage,car loans.credit cards etc) can come to OZ and have good start in life, some better than me and some worse, but with the current exchange rateusually better of than the UK. Apologies to anyelse who like PB thought I was being smug- I wasn't, but I thought it would be nice to balance out PB's land of doom and gloom type postings. As I said life is good!
Regards Pat
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Originally posted by Pat
Smug PB?, not not smug just grateful and appreciative to be in this position. The purpose of this post was to show that the average UK family(and yes I was one with a mortgage,car loans.credit cards etc) can come to OZ and have good start in life, some better than me and some worse, but with the current exchange rateusually better of than the UK. Apologies to anyelse who like PB thought I was being smug- I wasn't, but I thought it would be nice to balance out PB's land of doom and gloom type postings. As I said life is good!
Regards Pat
Pat

Glad to hear things are going well. Your post didn't come across as smug to me, just helped put things back in perspective a bit. Starting to get bogged down with the price of bread etc!!
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pat
Regards Pat
Hmm, Pat. I'm not sure you are quite the 'average UK family'. Being able to buy a large four-bed house, two new cars and still have $500k indicates an above-average level of equity to me - even allowing for the favourable exchange rate.
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 5:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Pat,

A lot of people moving to Aus/NZ who use this forum don't have that kind of money: judging by this poll http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=poll+money most fall into the GBP40-80K savings range.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 2nd 2002, 11:04 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pat
Regards Pat

Madam not being weathly like your good self I have to earn my living here unlike yourself who is far richer than 90% of all Australians , your view point is not an average one I repeat it would come under the word SMUG.

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 1:49 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Madam not being weathly like your good self I have to earn my living here unlike yourself who is far richer than 90% of all Australians , your view point is not an average one I repeat it would come under the word SMUG.

Thats why I did the age poll. I reckon my 60 year old parents with a lifetime of UK housing market equity and UK pension funds might have that kind of money if they sold up and came here. I doubt your average 25 to 35 year old emigrants come close. You'd never achieve that kind of wealth in Australia unless you took some leveraged risks on the property market to get several houses or ran a succesful business. No wonder Aussies get bitter about rich poms fuelling the house price boom!
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pat
Pat and family
Pat,
Don't be surprised when people accuse you of being smug. Perhaps if you'd have worded your post differently, the accusations wouldn't have arisen, e.g. "2 new cars, 4 bed detached, shed the size of kent, and still have $500AD left" - could have been more subtly worded "we have bought vehicles, a nice house, and still have plenty of money left over" - yes, I think you are SMUG.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:38 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you don't have to be that old Herman. If you had bought a property in London or the SE of England in the mid-1980s when you were in your early 20's (and are now aged early 40's), and have been in a professional or managerial job in Central London for a few years I reckon £300k of equity is within reach of more than you might think.

If you were into the UK housing market in the late 80's or early 90's it's a different story of course, but there are quite a few with that sort of equity looking to do something different with their lives and Australia offers the opportunity to have a good way of life, to fly back to the UK for holidays or to see family when the need arises, and to get out of the rat race.

And who can blame them ... ?

Best regards.

Originally posted by Herman
Thats why I did the age poll. I reckon my 60 year old parents with a lifetime of UK housing market equity and UK pension funds might have that kind of money if they sold up and came here. I doubt your average 25 to 35 year old emigrants come close. You'd never achieve that kind of wealth in Australia unless you took some leveraged risks on the property market to get several houses or ran a succesful business. No wonder Aussies get bitter about rich poms fuelling the house price boom!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.