Life in FNQ

Old Sep 18th 2016, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Aussie Dreams will become famous soon enough
Question Life in FNQ

Hi People,

Currently live in Palmwoods on the Sunshine Coast, QLD. Been here for 9 happy years. However my employer has different plans for me and I am to be stationed in Tully, Far North Queensland.

Anyone with information on lifestyle, the weather (does the rain drive you mad?).. Jobs for the wife (not banana, cane picking or hospitality) and so on, so forth.

Opinions from people particularly in living in the area not holidaying, and from within the last 5 years. Mission beach I would probably live at and commute.

Brief post, but require broad information.. I will no doubt probe your answers

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in FNQ

Originally Posted by Aussie Dreams
Hi People,

Currently live in Palmwoods on the Sunshine Coast, QLD. Been here for 9 happy years. However my employer has different plans for me and I am to be stationed in Tully, Far North Queensland.

Anyone with information on lifestyle, the weather (does the rain drive you mad?).. Jobs for the wife (not banana, cane picking or hospitality) and so on, so forth.

Opinions from people particularly in living in the area not holidaying, and from within the last 5 years. Mission beach I would probably live at and commute.

Brief post, but require broad information.. I will no doubt probe your answers

Thank you in advance.
Tully/Mission Beach area is one of the Queensland spots that gets the most rainfall, and when it comes it can be torrential for a few days, so look out for a house built in a relatively flood-free area. Also read up on cyclones and how to survive them Season starts November 1st and the last two have been unnervingly quiet.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If you don’t want to live in Tully (I wouldn’t) here are some observations:-

Mission Beach (N) and Cardwell (S) are relatively small settlements in terms of what is available.

Innisfail (N) and Ingham (S) are larger and offering much more but are still limited.

Cairns City (N) is cosmopolitan and hospitality focussed.
Townsville City (S) is more of an industrial work place with a large army base.
You will probably need the occasional shopping fix to Cairns or Townsville.

Workwise FNQ is farming and hospitality focussed. Apart from the two cities I suspect finding work outside the industries you state will take time. Of course all types of jobs must be scattered around but finding an opening could prove rather pot luck. Education or health may offer best chances. Innisfail would be the most diverse in the area. Don’t know Ingham well enough but it is a farming heartland.

Travelwise Cardwell is roughly midway between the two cities. Mission Beach roads are slower so time wise Cardwell is just as close with Innisfail about 10 minutes more.

The Tully - Babinda area is the wettest in Aus. A beautiful lush green landscape. Climate is hot, wet and humid. Personally I find watching the warm torrential monsoon rains therapeutic. I did work indoors though.

Palmwoods is 30 minutes from most things. Tully is not.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
If you don’t want to live in Tully (I wouldn’t) here are some observations:-

Mission Beach (N) and Cardwell (S) are relatively small settlements in terms of what is available.

Innisfail (N) and Ingham (S) are larger and offering much more but are still limited.

Cairns City (N) is cosmopolitan and hospitality focussed.
Townsville City (S) is more of an industrial work place with a large army base.
You will probably need the occasional shopping fix to Cairns or Townsville.

Workwise FNQ is farming and hospitality focussed. Apart from the two cities I suspect finding work outside the industries you state will take time. Of course all types of jobs must be scattered around but finding an opening could prove rather pot luck. Education or health may offer best chances. Innisfail would be the most diverse in the area. Don’t know Ingham well enough but it is a farming heartland.

Travelwise Cardwell is roughly midway between the two cities. Mission Beach roads are slower so time wise Cardwell is just as close with Innisfail about 10 minutes more.

The Tully - Babinda area is the wettest in Aus. A beautiful lush green landscape. Climate is hot, wet and humid. Personally I find watching the warm torrential monsoon rains therapeutic. I did work indoors though.

Palmwoods is 30 minutes from most things. Tully is not.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Aussie Dreams will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the replies,

It is our intention to live at mission beach or one beach up down!
Has anyone actually lived at mission beach, or worked in and around Tully, rain, humidity and seclusion.. it's alright other than that right
Old Oct 1st 2016, 1:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie Dreams
Thank you for the replies,

It is our intention to live at mission beach or one beach up down!
Has anyone actually lived at mission beach, or worked in and around Tully, rain, humidity and seclusion.. it's alright other than that right
The only thing I would add is that in recent years cyclones seem to target that area of the coast. Roughly Innisfail to Cardwell.

Snappy joined the forum same time as you.
She lived and built in South Mission and worked in Tully.
Has not been on the forum since 2011 though and now lives in Townsville.
You may like to read through her previous posts to see if you can learn anything about the region.