British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Life in Dural (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/life-dural-686606/)

lisarun Sep 23rd 2010 7:50 am

Life in Dural

Hi Guys,
Hubby over in Sydney at mo and just rented us a house for a year in Dural , only seen pics on Facebook so was wondering what it was really like (altho a bit late now as deal done) !

We will only be over for 15 to 18 mths (lifestyle change, late gap year) but 12 year old and 116 year old both going to school.

Anybody used the quarantine station in Sydney as our pooch has his flight booked and will be on tis way soon.

Thanks

Mr Kilt Sep 23rd 2010 9:15 am

Re: Life in Dural

Originally Posted by lisarun (Post 8869957)
Hi Guys,
Hubby over in Sydney at mo and just rented us a house for a year in Dural , only seen pics on Facebook so was wondering what it was really like (altho a bit late now as deal done) !

We will only be over for 15 to 18 mths (lifestyle change, late gap year) but 12 year old and 116 year old both going to school.

Anybody used the quarantine station in Sydney as our pooch has his flight booked and will be on tis way soon.

Thanks

116 and still going to school! That is one dedicated student :)

Sorry can't offer any advice on the area but good luck to you all.

Jon77 Sep 23rd 2010 10:22 am

I LOVE Dural, I would buy a house like a shot there :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

One of may favourite areas for Sunday drive up that way, usually end up going through Dural and then on to Wisemans Ferry and up to St Albans for lunch and a few drinks :thumbup:

There are a lot of market gardens and garden nurseries up Dural way wich is another of the reasons I really like it as I am something of a keen gardener.

The density of housing is low and the houses are usually of a very good standard and on big blocks. Dural always seems green to me as well, even in the middle of a summer drought Drual seems to keep it's good looks.

The only draw backs I can think of is that it is a good way out of the CBD and if you didn't have a car it would be very difficult.

lisarun Sep 23rd 2010 6:16 pm

Many thanks for that, you have cheered me up no end !

Hubby has rented a house with a lot of land which is amazing and will be great for our 3 kids and dog but house is not quite as modern as i would have liked. I like the garden as well so am quite looking forward to coming over now.

The 116 year old looking forward to it as well, thinks hes finished school but oh so wrong ! Lol.

Thanks

Jon77 Sep 23rd 2010 9:51 pm

No problem,

All of this is not far from Dural -http://www.hawkesburyaustralia.com.au/information/townships_wisemansFerry.asp

Plenty of water sports and great drives up that way :thumbup:

Red_V_Roger Sep 24th 2010 2:25 am

There is a Mitre 10 there.

Sandra Sep 24th 2010 4:24 am

Ah the fun of Dural.....Driving the Galston Gorge fro Hornsby.

Luckily for the faint hearted there is the long way round. Have just recently looked at a couple of house in Dural. Lovely lovely area, there is a smallish (australian neighbours) estate of houses but you are obviously not in one of those.

We use the country club over there for some of the events they put on - mostly over 70's attend and we lower the average age by turning up.

Mother India is a super Indian there and lots of other choices in and around. You are only a short drive over to Castle Hill and all the Shopping centres there. Though a new supermarket Franklins (I think) has been built in the shopping area.

Tis a bit of hike into the CBD and to the beaches but you are compensated with the Hawksbury and Wisemans etc as said previously.

Good luck hope you enjoy

Tubbs2Oz Sep 24th 2010 5:01 am

We stayed with our cousins in Dural for the first month when we arrived. It's a very nice place to stay. Galston just had a new Franklins supermarket opened and Dural also has a Woolworths, although the big one in Glenorie is nicer. All depends where in Dural you are which one you'll end up going to.

Fagen Park (not sure of spelling) is a cool country park for walks ($5 parking) although with big kids you could spend more time for free on some proper bush walks. Galston has an indoor pool which is cool. And, again your kids are too old for this really, Greg Page (aka ex yellow Wiggle) lives in Dural. Down the same street that our cousin was in.

Have a great time.

btw Bermudashorts has definitely used the quarantine place in Sydney and a few others.

IvanM Sep 24th 2010 9:33 am

Was there for the Hornsbyshire fair on Sunday. All very nice and almost reminded me of England it was so green. I guess a good drought and bushfire would fix that.

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz (Post 8872075)
We stayed with our cousins in Dural for the first month when we arrived. It's a very nice place to stay. Galston just had a new Franklins supermarket opened and Dural also has a Woolworths, although the big one in Glenorie is nicer. All depends where in Dural you are which one you'll end up going to.

Fagen Park (not sure of spelling) is a cool country park for walks ($5 parking) although with big kids you could spend more time for free on some proper bush walks. Galston has an indoor pool which is cool. And, again your kids are too old for this really, Greg Page (aka ex yellow Wiggle) lives in Dural. Down the same street that our cousin was in.

Have a great time.

btw Bermudashorts has definitely used the quarantine place in Sydney and a few others.

lisarun Sep 26th 2010 9:49 pm

Once again thanks for all the replies, getting quite excited now. Hubby back on Tuesday so no doubt will have lots to talk about. X