Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

life cover question

life cover question

Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Question life cover question

OH and I currently have life cover should either of us die or get critically ill. It's pretty pricey at nearly £100 a month so hubby is keen on getting life cover in Oz.

Does anyone know if we can do this before we arrive ?

If we can't, can we keep on our UK one until we get an Oz one sorted ?

Anyone any experience of this at all ?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:44 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all
Default Re: life cover question

Sorry, I don't have any information on this, but this is a question I was planning on asking nearer to the time of us going. Can anyone help.
kjj
Originally Posted by ohippy
OH and I currently have life cover should either of us die or get critically ill. It's pretty pricey at nearly £100 a month so hubby is keen on getting life cover in Oz.

Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Check with your insurer, some will still cover you even if you are resident in Aus, others won't. We still have all our UK policies. Seems to be cheaper over here though, but not sure exactlly what the policies cover.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:37 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ohippy

check with policy provider, mine will cover me in OZ but has to be paid out of a UK bank account. i would also get it in writing you know what insurance companies are like for trying to get out of paying out. here's for not needing the pay out
Old Jul 30th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We kept our UK life cover going and I have it in writing about us being in Australia.

Not shopped around for life cover in Oz yet as thought we would get settled first and sort cover later if we decide to stay for good.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Abject_Rage will become famous soon enoughAbject_Rage will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Caroline G
We kept our UK life cover going and I have it in writing about us being in Australia.

Not shopped around for life cover in Oz yet as thought we would get settled first and sort cover later if we decide to stay for good.

My life cover was with Norwich Union, and I kept it going for the first 3 months of being here in Melbourne - in Oz, the same company is called Aviva and they do pretty good cover.

I now have life & trauma cover through my company's Superannuation scheme but be warned - I looked around for life cover here first and you can't buy the descending life cover with constant premiums that you can get in the UK. With Norwich Union, it was about 67 quid a month for 150,000 worth of cover and the premiums stayed the same. Here, for an equivalent cover, they wanted $200 a month for the first year, and that amount increased EVERY year until I retired - that is, the premiums went up ever year as I got older. Not good.

Apparently, the rationale for raising the premiums each year is that 'you're more of a risk as you get older'. No shit! I thought that was what the insurance was for!!!!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:07 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheaper in the Uk. We have kept all our life and critical illness cover in the UK. Hubbie has work cover here though which is part of his package. It will also be loaded if you are overweight or smoke (as it is in the UK)
Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - that's all useful to know. Will check with NU that we're covered in Oz and will continue it unless we find anything cheaper. The only problem is that ours is the decreasing one and, not having a mortgage, isn't really that useful as wouldn't buy me a house outright as time goes on.

Something else to think about.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

nicoak will become famous soon enough

Have just queried this with our insurer. Will cover us whilst living in Oz, but once we leave the UK we are unable to change the cover in any way.