Life in Brisbane

Wikiposts

Life in Brisbane

Old Jun 25th 2006, 4:51 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough
Default Life in Brisbane

Hi everyone,

I've been back in Sydney for 3 months now and I've come to the realization that I really can't afford to live in a nice house within reasonable commuting distance of the CBD! House prices are crazy!!!!!!
Is there anyone out there who has moved from Sydney to Brisbane? How was the transition. My husband shouldn't have problems finding work in Brisbane and it would appear the house prices are half what they are in Sydney. But I've heard that the weather is horrendous during the summer season and that Brisbane is boring and full of rednecks.

Your views would be appreciated.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 5:47 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Brisbane

Originally Posted by cdandi
Hi everyone,

I've been back in Sydney for 3 months now and I've come to the realization that I really can't afford to live in a nice house within reasonable commuting distance of the CBD! House prices are crazy!!!!!!
Is there anyone out there who has moved from Sydney to Brisbane? How was the transition. My husband shouldn't have problems finding work in Brisbane and it would appear the house prices are half what they are in Sydney. But I've heard that the weather is horrendous during the summer season and that Brisbane is boring and full of rednecks.

I would check out the suburbs you want to live in - you may find the prices are not quite as good as half those in Sydney, but certainly more affordable.

Weather is not what I would call horrendous - but it can be quite sticky and uncomfortable for a couple of months in summer.

If you don't wear a hat or sunscreen and go out in the sun you might end up as a redneck.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 5:53 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I would check out the suburbs you want to live in - you may find the prices are not quite as good as half those in Sydney, but certainly more affordable.

Weather is not what I would call horrendous - but it can be quite sticky and uncomfortable for a couple of months in summer.

If you don't wear a hat or sunscreen and go out in the sun you might end up as a redneck.
everyone says "rednecks" in Qld, Can you discribe the general meaning of the word coming from a aussie view point?? pete
Old Jun 25th 2006, 5:55 pm
Banned

Where would I find a nice house for around $5 - $600 K around Brisbane?
Thanks.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

for that kind of price you ll have no problems here in bayside why dont you check out one of the property websites,it ll give an idea what kind of thing you can get for what kind of price,of course it depends what you consider i nice house,im sure everyone has a different perception of a nice house,i guess that really depends on what your used to

tracey

Thanks.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:41 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Rednecks....you'll go down a storm.

Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:55 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
how much on average are properties in the sydney suburbs? cant believe you cant get something for $600k
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

But I've heard that the weather is horrendous during the summer season and that Brisbane is boring and full of rednecks.

The weathers better overall with milder winters and the summer is fine, its only 30ish and I've heard that Sydney is full of stuck up people and Japanese tourists
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:27 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Centurion
The weathers better overall with milder winters and the summer is fine, its only 30ish and I've heard that Sydney is full of stuck up people and Japanese tourists
And posh totty with a penchant for Rednecks.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Rednecks....you'll go down a storm.

Great picture

A great example of The Classic Brisneyland Redneck!!

Brisbane and surrounds is full of them, some areas have more than others but you will find them everywhere.

Some with long beards, some with short beards, some who wear thongs, and some who dont wear any type of footwear atall

They drive around in 10 to 20 year old commodores or falcons, driving them like they are the next Mark Webber.

Mostly they seem harmless enough, but hey we had Neds in Scotland and I think there was plenty Chavs in England....

Global Rednecks
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by possoms
how much on average are properties in the sydney suburbs? cant believe you cant get something for $600k

For 5 - 600K in Sydney you are looking at a fibro shack about an hour from the CBD.... Or if you want a brick house around that price yoou need to consider out west around Kings Langley. Thats for a 1950's brick bungalow that maybe needs work done.......crazy!!!
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:24 pm
Banned

Believe me I've done my homework regarding houses here in Sydney. They say that prices are now more affordable but a 3 bedroom house in a "reasonable" neighbourhood- nothing too stuck up will cost around $1m.

I don't want to spend all of my spare time renovating a house, or for my husband to be commuting for hours into work, or to be living off of beans on toast while we pay a huge mortgage.

Therefore I'm wondering what I would get for my money in Brisbane and whether it is worth considering the move. After all, life is too short, but you still need to have a roof over your head.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:59 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe me I've done my homework regarding houses here in Sydney. They say that prices are now more affordable but a 3 bedroom house in a "reasonable" neighbourhood- nothing too stuck up will cost around $1m.

I don't want to spend all of my spare time renovating a house, or for my husband to be commuting for hours into work, or to be living off of beans on toast while we pay a huge mortgage.

Therefore I'm wondering what I would get for my money in Brisbane and whether it is worth considering the move. After all, life is too short, but you still need to have a roof over your head.
cripes didnt realise it was that expensive over there!! anyway have a look on the realestate websites so you can get an idea of prices.

for info on Brisbane areas this site seems pretty usefull

http://z3.invisionfree.com/ABCDiamond/index.php?act=idx

good luck