Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is life better in Australia than where we live?

Is life better in Australia than where we live?

Old Jun 21st 2002, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is life better in Australia than where we live?

I don't want to make this overtly about the UK but as we live there and not in the US etc. it's a bit inevitable. Having read the long thread about burglary and bigotry in Oz it has made me question just why we think it's a good place to emigrate to. Being the daughter of an Australian but having never lived there for longer than a year, one of the most obvious things to me is that people just seem happy in Oz- they smile- they are not weighed down by bills/ mortgage ( they probably are but it's not as obvious)- they go out to eat without worrying about the cost and of courses the sun shines a great deal more than it does here. I asked my sister,who lives in Sydney , why she didn't want to come back to England and she said that people in Oz are not doom laden- they are not always worrying about food scares/ traffic/pollution/the transport system and she says ( although I don't know if this is true) that people don't waste their time moaning. This did worry me a little ,after all we English like a good moan and I might find myself bored rigid but I'm willing to take the chance in Oz. If any of you have more reasons why it's good in Oz I'd like to hear them - I would also welcome the negatives- best to know just what we are all getting in to!
Old Jun 21st 2002, 9:26 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is life better in Australia than where we live?

Hi,

I guess all we can say is that there's more to the planet than this little island. OK so Oz isn't over the rainbow and shock horror they have nasty people, nasty animals and rain but what did it for us was seeing that mid-40 something bloke on the train in the morning and thinking "that's me in 10 years time that is."

So what if it doesn't work out. So what if you don't like it after giving it a go. You only get one shot at life, you only learn by taking risks and sometimes making mistakes. And most of all you usually only regret the things you haven't done, not those you did.

Have you noticed the comments you get when you tell people? "Oh, I wish I could do that" is a common theme. Well, why don't they?

But (and it's a big one) we've gone into this eyes wide open. We know its going to be the biggest thing we've ever done; that its going to be a serious roller coaster ride and strain on "us" but we've really done our homework (although it amazes me, some of the real basic things that get asked on this group....) and are willing to give it a real fair go. It's that or code Java in a dull city office for the next 15 years....

Final point (this one's good for friends who dont get it) Some people buy flash cars, big houses, have affairs etc etc when 30- and 40-something crisis approaches - we just left the country....

A rather reflective,
Mouse

P.S. Didn't answer your Q but hey.....
Old Jun 22nd 2002, 1:20 am
Robert Edwards

As an Australian (biased and born here) I have travelled a lot especially to Europe
and have wondered from time to time could I actually live in the UK for instance, and
to me the answer is not by choice, not that everything is a bed of roses here in Oz
but the outlook is brighter, you actually want to live outdoors as much as possible,
we are far removed from the main world trouble spots and the cost of living in
Australia is currently 70% of that in the UK ..(that figure is factual not one I have
dreamed up).....there are people who come to Australia and do not like it, I too have
read the threads about "burglary" and "bigotry"...unfortunately these are two of
man's misgivings that know no borders but some people mistaken playful jibing for
bigotry, to me bigotry is not rife in Australia, nor is a class system, nor is
burglary.......you need to weigh up what you see as the benefits of moving as opposed
to the benefits of remaining in the UK.......we do have a saying here "whinging poms"
don't take it to heart though....get on with your life, seems as though your sister
has..... oh another thing I have noticed is the quality of food for the price.....all
the best whatever you decide.

Rob "laurash" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Jaj

Replying to two threads at once ...

>On 21 Jun 2002 19:20:15 GMT, laurash <[email protected]> wrote: I don't want
    >to make this overtly about the UK but as we live there and not in the US etc. it's a
    >bit inevitable. Having read the long thread about burglary and bigotry in Oz it has
    >made me question just why we think it's a good place to emigrate to. Being the
    >daughter of an Australian but having never lived there for longer than a year,

Out of interest, have you got Australian citizenship, or do you need to go through
the migration system?

>one of the most obvious things to me is that people just seem happy in Oz- they
    >smile- they are not weighed down by bills/ mortgage ( they probably are but it's not
    >as obvious)- they go out to eat without worrying about the cost and of courses the
    >sun shines a great deal more than it does here.

I think climate is the key here. The general mood in England does perk up when the
summer arrives - provided it's not a washout.

>I asked my sister,who lives in Sydney , why she didn't want to come back to England
    >and she said that people in Oz are not doom laden- they are not always worrying
    >about food scares/ traffic/pollution/the transport system and she says

I think there's truth in that.

>( although I don't know if this is true) that people don't waste their time moaning.
    >This did worry me a little ,after all we English like a good moan and I might find
    >myself bored rigid but I'm willing to take the chance in Oz.

Australians are if anything a lot more vocal than the English if they're not happy
about something. But there is a difference between being vocal about something - and
then doing something practical about it - and just complaining all the time.

>If any of you have more reasons why it's good in Oz I'd like to hear them - I would
    >also welcome the negatives- best to know just what we are all getting in to!

Real estate agents say the three most important things are location, location and
location. Applying the same concept to Australia, it boils down to climate, climate
and climate. No matter what problems you have in life, in most parts of Australia you
can look out 300 days a year and see a blue sky, and that for many people makes a
huge difference.

>On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:25:10 +1000, "Robert Edwards" <[email protected]>
    >wrote: As an Australian (biased and born here) I have travelled a lot especially to
    >Europe and have wondered from time to time could I actually live in the UK for
    >instance, and to me the answer is not by choice, not that everything is a bed of
    >roses here in Oz but the outlook is brighter, you actually want to live outdoors as
    >much as possible,

When the sky is blue, a glass is half-full rather than half-empty.

>we are far removed from the main world trouble spots

Although Indonesia is volatile, and there are plenty of hassles in some other
nations close by (Solomon Islands, Fiji, Papua New Guinea) which don't affect
Australians directly.

>and the cost of living in Australia is currently 70% of that in the UK ..(that
    >figure is factual not one I have dreamed up)..

However, salaries are somewhat lower too.

>...there are people who come to Australia and do not like it,

Migration is *not* for everybody.

> I too have read the threads about "burglary" and "bigotry"...unfortunately these
    > are two of man's misgivings that know no borders but some people mistaken playful
    > jibing for bigotry,

I would second that.

>to me bigotry is not rife in Australia, nor is a class system, nor is burglary...

Agreed.

>....you need to weigh up what you see as the benefits of moving as opposed to the
    >benefits of remaining in the UK...

Which is something many people do not seem to do.

>....we do have a saying here "whinging poms" don't take it to heart though..

I would extend that to 'whinging anything'

I recall reading somewhere that the 'whinging pom' stereotype dates from the assisted
passage migrant era in the 1950s and 1960s. Keen to impress British migrants, the
Australian government ensured that the ships most of them travelled on were of a much
better standard than those on which migrants from other European countries came.
However, conditions were much harher initially for many in the migrant hostels
provided on arrival. Their expectations having been inflated, many British migrants
complained a lot ...

This story may be completely untrue, or the stereotype a lot older than that - happy
to be corrected.

I would say to anyone migrating to Australia that Australia is a package. Just like
the UK. It has good points, and it may have aspects you're not keen on (if I had to
mention a bad point it would be the insane aggression on the roads, compared to the
UK ... ). But you have to accept the package as a whole.

If the minus points outweigh the pluses, don't come, or if you have come and don't
like it, consider whether a move interstate or even back home is the answer. Or
decide to stick it out and hope things will work out eventually, as they do for most
who are prepared to give Australia a chance.

Whatever you do, don't expect Australians to react well to whinging. Although many
Aussies complain vocally about things they don't like, it does not change their
belief that Australia is the best country in the world. If all you see is negative
with no positive to balance it out, most Australians won't give you much sympathy.

Jeremy

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 7:20 am
Robert Edwards

you are right......you only get one life.........I think "Anon E Mouse"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 10:19 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I have to say that anyone from Sydney that says they never worry about food scares/ traffic/pollution/the transport system is not telling the full story. Everytime I go to Sydney the traffic gets worse, the trains are on strike or late and the weathers usually awful. I went down there on a course for work last year and I had my english "its australia so the weathers always wonderful here" head on and did'nt take any umbrellas or jumpers etc and spent two days caught in the worst storm I've ever encountered and watched tv in the airport, as my plane was delayed for hours, of houses with their roofs blown away ! We went through there again last Summer on the way home and the place was on fire with bush fires less than 10km from the CBD and the place felt like a tinderbox. Not saying it ain't a great place but it has it's issues just like every other place and the sun does'nt shine all year or for anything like 300 days a year !

However having lived here for a while and whilst I now see the good and the bad of Australia I have to agree that it is a great experience to live here and encourage everyone who can to try it (I would also similarly encourage aussies to live in england/ europe for the same reasons to get some perspective and understand more about the world). It is a great country just not sure about some of the locals - although I am sure they feel the same about me ! So what if you hate it - after 3 or 4 years just go back but give it a decent go and see the region why your at it because there are some amazing places to see and visit.

Australia always looks great from England particularly as you tend to holiday here in the English Winter Oz Summertime which makes the comparison worse. Last week I watched the last tv episode of "Cold Feet" which featured australia and I had to laugh as the properties which they chose to film were far from typical - houses like that with views of Sydney Harbour and Palm Beach cost in the millions of dollars and even in australian dollars thats out of reach for most people and not typical for australia.

The final reality is very similar here to England - mortgages hard work traffic and some things are worse as less choice, more bureaucracy, higher taxes, long way from anywhere etc. Some things are better particularly the weather cheaper housing beautiful beaches and some unique wildlife and wilderness. The humpback whales have arrived off Brisbane last week and that for me is a magical experience and one I look forward to !

As you can also see from Aussies that post on this site it is not recommended that particularly Brits express an opinion on the bad things as that is winging (however you spell it) whereas you have to learn that although Australians express an opinion on everything they are not complaining only being critical - it's a fine line and yes I am taking the piss as they complain as much as brits do or any other nationality and if you dont believe me come here and listen - it may not be phrased the same but it all boils down to the same thing in the end.

Finally, I always remember seeing a tv programme in Uk about 5 years ago which featured expat poms in Oz. One family caused a bit of a stur in Uk at the time by hating Oz and moved back after apparently having it all materially big house swimming pool etc. The other guy was a tv producer ex bbc i think and worked for the abc in sport and his work had taken him all over the world covering olympics etc etc. Obviously wealthy and big house on Sydney harbour. The thing that stuck in my mind as he was sailing his yacht in Sydney Harbour was that he was almost upset & complaining that he was'nt in England and he still missed his homeland and regretted missing out on his family and friends.

At the time in UK and wanting to come to Oz I thought they were mad and did'nt appreciate or understood what they felt. Having done the same and nobody would have talked me out of doing it I now know that living here is really the same as living in UK - there are pluses and minuses just different ones. We are better off financially here (thanks to the strength of the pound ironically) and from a life experience we are far the richer but nethertheless I still miss heaps about England miss my family and friends and go back as often as we can afford. Its even worse with the world cup as I hav'nt seen England play for 3 years and you almost forget the emotion of watching them or doing all those familiar things - watching the Reds or the Wallabies etc just is'nt anywhere near the same.

Life here by any measure is perfectly good but like my tv producer maybe some things are worth more ? But end of the day unless you try it you will never know !
Old Jun 22nd 2002, 10:20 am
Terry R Brookin

Hi laura and ash

> Having read the long thread about burglary and bigotry in Oz it has made me
    > question just why we think it's a good place to emigrate to.

Anything you hear (read) on here will be subjective and probably the view of a very
small minority. Most migrants stay put and have a life, some good, some bad, some
indifferent. Crime is rising everywhere and the locals will certainly feel things
have gotten much worse than anywhere else. I see this in Vancouver where many locals
feel the place is dangerous, but I feel safer in almost any area of Vancouver than I
do in our home town in rural Surrey (England). I don't think bigotry is much of a
problem for any white... but do be aware that the mickey taking will go beyond what
you may consider reasonable - it's not personal (usually!)

> one of the most obvious things to me is that people just seem happy in Oz-
    > they smile

Personally, I feel it's more that the English are a miserable lot. I see happy
smiling faces even in third world countries, but come to England and you'd think the
head of state had died... and before anyone pounces it's my impression and I'm
keeping it! <g>

> she says ( although I don't know if this is true) that people don't waste their
    > time moaning.

Could be part of it, but also they still know how to enjoy themselves.

> This did worry me a little ,after all we English like a good moan and I might find
    > myself bored rigid but I'm willing to take the chance in Oz.

Just avoid moaning about Oz to the Ozzies or you may find yourself excluded. and the
'in England we do it this way' type statements.

FWIW and getting very controversial here is my list of countries from best to worst.

Canada (not yet lived there, just visited frequently over the last 10 years) New
Zealand Germany Australia USA - - England

The gap between England and the rest is deliberate and is of course my own very
subjective opinion. The three in the middle are about equal, but different. I was
born in NZ, so I'm biased there, and Canada is my next (and hopefully final) choice,
so it's got to be the best! <g>. I have visited many other countries, but these are
the ones I feel I know most about.

My well travelled English wife has always argued for England, but I know that
her opinion is changing. I think she would probably rate Oz higher than Germany
and the US.
--
Regards -Terry

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Terry R Brookin

> we just left the country....

Now that's something I can relate to! <g>

--
Regards -Terry

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Been here (near Sydney) for 3 months and the best thing I like about it is its not crowded! You try finding a spot on a beach in the uk on a nice sunny day! or finding privacy in the park on nice sunny day in the uk, or even go shopping on a Saturday without getting stuck in traffic! Ok I know its winter here but we had the same feeling when we were out here last January.

I agree with most of the above but would like to add - Life is what YOU make it, wherever you are, and no one should tell you what you should enjoy and not enjoy. You won't know until you try it for yourselves, you cannot go on what other people say as their opinions differ from yours.

And no we have no regrets moving out here, just to see my kids smiling when I pick them up from school makes it all worth it.
Old Jun 23rd 2002, 3:20 pm
Rob

Mandy Bale wrote:

>Been here (near Sydney) for 3 months and the best thing I like about it is its not
    >crowded! You try finding a spot on a beach in the uk on a nice sunny day! or finding
    >privacy in the park on nice sunny day in the uk

Finding a nice sunny day is the hard bit !

Old Jun 23rd 2002, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys

I think that there has been some very valid and interesting points made on this thread, keep it going everyone!!

I think life is definitely what you make it, and I have to agree that a lot of what is said about Australia/UK is purely subjective to the person writing.

On a similar note I've had a conversation like this before when discussing areas to live in WA when we get out there.

A lot of people have told us to avoid Rockingham at all costs because it is 'rough'...can anyone tell me the definition of 'rough'?? Surely this is a purely subjective thing? A family from the Home Counties is going to think an area is rough whereas another family from a less affluent area would think it's a great place to live....I think the point I am trying to make is that only YOU can decide what is acceptable to you and your family. You have to make a decision based on what is right for you...not someone who may or may not have a hidden agenda, sure by all means take their views into account, but do not swear by them without doing some research or finding out for yourselves...you might not have the same outlook as the person doing the 'advising'.

Our decision to leave the UK and start a new life in Australia came about because I was diagnosed with breast cancer whilst 8 months pregnant with our son. It was a real shock to the system for someone who was only 28 to be told she may not be around to see her son grow up. We suddenly realised that life is WAY too short and SO precious to be spending it wondering 'what if'....I sure don't want to die thinking 'well I gave 10 years good service to my company' and not done anything else of personal value... So what if it doesn't work out? At least we can say we tried it...and I won't die without ever leaving the UK!!

Basically Life is what you make it and if you're sure in your heart that you are doing the right thing...then you probably are!! As someone said above, no regrets for what you have done...only for what you could have and didn't!

Sorry for rattling on....just wanted to get that off my chest...phew!! )

love sophia xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2002, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

summers family is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on you Sophia, and well said. Life is for living, if we go to Aus. or another country and it doesn't work well, then, at least we tried. Life is way too short all we can do is pack as much in along the way, and hopefully give the kids (if you have any ) experiences which will stay with them throughout their lives.

Hope all is well with you, best of luck, Carol.
Old Jun 24th 2002, 4:20 am
Robert Edwards

You haven't rattled on Sophia......just jolted the rest of us into reality, hope it
goes well for you and your family.

Rob "sophia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi guys

Old Jun 24th 2002, 5:20 am
Andrew

> Laura and Ash wrote:

> burglary and bigotry in Oz it has made me question just why we think it's a good
    > place to emigrate to. Being the daughter of an Australian but having never lived
    > there for longer than a year, one of the most obvious things to me is that people
    > just seem happy in Oz- they smile- they are not weighed down by bills/ mortgage (
    > they probably are but it's not as obvious)- they go out to eat without worrying
    > about the cost and of courses the sun shines a great deal more than it does here. I
    > asked my sister,who lives in Sydney , why she didn't want to come back to England
    > and she said that people in Oz are not doom laden- they are not always worrying
    > about food scares/ traffic/pollution/the transport system and she says ( although I
    > don't know if this is true) that people don't waste their time moaning. This did
    > worry me a little ,after all we English like a good moan and I might find myself
    > bored rigid but I'm willing to take the chance in Oz. If any of you have more
    > reasons why it's good in Oz I'd like to hear them - I would also welcome the
    > negatives- best to know just what we are all getting in to!
    > __________________
    > laura and ash

Hi Laura and Ash,

IMHO, living is Oz is better because the positives outway the negatives:

Positives: Weather, Beaches, Sea, Cheerfulness, Space, Relaxed attitude to life, cost
of living, family amenities, paygroups/kindies/schools, health system, public
services, and just about everything else not listed below.

Negatives: Wages, being so far from relatives (though for some people this may be an
advantage!) and old friends.

Although you'll probably leave a lot of you worries behind , you're bound to bring
some of them with you (e.g. paying the bills, how well you kids are doing in school,
etc). But somehow, these wont be such a big deal as the 'sunny' style and way of
living always seems make things seem rosier.

P.S. Aussies do like to complain, but they don't like to moan (work that one out!)

AndyH

Old Jun 24th 2002, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys

Thanks for your good wishes...so far so good (touching wood as I speak)..have managed to get the 2 year mark under my belt (they told me they wouldn't be able to cure the cancer if it came back within 24 months), so I'm refusing to dwell on it anymore, it's taken up WAY too much of my time and we are determined to make sure we have a ball when we get to Australia!!

Just in case you're interested 'REAL' magazine are doing an article on what happened to me....should be out in a couple of months...not sure exactly when, but went on the photo shoot last week (now think I'm an international jet setter ...I wish!!) so hopefully should be out before we leave the UK...

As for the thugs...I'm not in the slightest bit worried them..I'm from Leeds and the Yardies there scare me....can't imagine being scared by the local youths in Rockingham <G> unless of course, they have dreads, smoke ganja and carry machetes as their weapon of choice!!

It's a beautiful, wonderful country we're all heading for, so just put the crazy stuff to the back of your head, remember it by all means, but don't let it cloud your judgement, you're hearing stuff from people who have been unlucky that's all...I've been fortunate enough never to have been burgled in England, doesn't mean I think the UK is perfect....the good stuff will far outweigh the bad....you'll see

love sophia xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.