Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

life in australia part 5 : rugby league players to be stapled!!

life in australia part 5 : rugby league players to be stapled!!

Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:04 pm
Badge

Default life in australia part 5 : rugby league players to be stapled!!

They get out staple guns in the Australian Rugby league!!!

Money and the gun: Blues stick to staple diet
By Roy Masters
June 19 2003

NSW will camouflage use of the staple gun in next Wednesday night's second State of Origin match to avoid using replacements for players bleeding from head wounds.

Blues doctor John Orchard revealed NSW coach Phil Gould had instructed him to minimise time spent treating an injured player while he was also under pressure to obey an edict from Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr that the staple gun be kept away from the prying eye of the TV camera.

NSW manager Gerard Raper said: "We will camouflage use of the staple gun. We will probably use a tarp. Whatever we do, we'll use discretion."

Gould, who is also an employee of series telecaster Channel Nine, made it clear he was not too concerned with protocol and squeamish viewers.

"We'll be stapling them," he said. "Don't worry about that. I'm not wasting an interchange on a bleeding player. That's why I sent the staple gun out in Origin I when [Michael] De Vere was injured.

"I would have lost two replacements if he'd come off - one when he left the field and another when he went back on."

"They only have to go up there [tunnel] to be away from the TV cameras. The procedure of using a staple gun is allowed. It's where he does it that is important."

TV viewers in Origin I saw Orchard's hands trembling and the line of staples broke, suggesting that better care would have been administered in the privacy of the dressing room. "In Brisbane, I was hit with a triple whammy," Orchard said. "The injured player was on the left wing, meaning he was as far from the tunnel as possible. Secondly, we were defending a goal-line drop-out. Third, it was a winger who was not as tired as the forwards who had been doing the early heavy work."

"We are trying to get a staple gun where you can fire them from the sideline," Raper quipped. "Or erect a staple booth," Orchard countered.

Carr implied Orchard was a serial staple-gun user. "The NRL have banned the staple gun inside the perimeter of the field because of John Orchard's use of it in club games," he said.

Orchard conceded he had used the staple gun with the Roosters but had avoided publicity because TV cameras had not filmed it.

Raper said: "You can't stop Channel Nine filming it. But we'll endeavour to get the player off in the second Origin game and camouflage the use of the gun."

Old Jun 18th 2003, 11:01 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Sounds nice!

Wonder if they use rexel, rhymans or whsmiths staples?

On the subject of rugby league..when i was in oz there was a scandle of a QLD player (can't remember the team) who was regularly poking his fingers up the oppositions backsides when in rucks

Saw some great pics of the other players faces on the papers