Reload this Page >

Life after nearly 2 years...

Life after nearly 2 years...

Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Life after nearly 2 years...

Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for absolutely ages, so thought I'd share some things with you all wannabee migrants.

We emigrated out here (Sydney hills district) on 1st April 2002 and really we haven't looked back. Well what can I say, whatever I say someone on here will no doubt 'stick their oar in' but just remember that some of us are lucky and are enjoying themsleves out here and look past the bad things. Here is a general oversight of things around here...

The housing estates in the Hills District seem to be very safe and leafy, very family orientated with lots of parks to cater for most sports. We live in Dural, which is right on the edge of the rural areas north/west of Sydney. The countryside around here is just superb, lots of bush to get lost in and uninhabited gorges to explore. The bus service from our little estate is very good, we have buses that go to the nearest train station, buses that go direct to the city and buses that go direct to Manly beach during the summer and buses that go to local schools and shopping centres. I personally haven't used the buses but I have heard they are very good. The other infrastructure around here, i.e. roads, is a bit poor. They seem to be a bit behind the rate of development and nothing seems to get done unless someone is killed, but in my understanding this is the same is many areas. Traffic wise, due to the poor infrastructure it can be a bit bad in the mornings as there are so many schools around here, but rush hour is only an hour and if you leave half an hour earlier or half an hour later you miss it all (remember this is just my observation of my particular area). Some drivers are idiots but then others are very nice. We have lived in 3 different rental houses since we have moved here and each time we have had lovely neighbours, most were real Aussie families who didn't care we were pommies, ok so we had the odd joke but only in good humour which is what I like. Shops are quite plentiful round here, but the annoying thing is that most of the small shops shut at 5pm. Late night shopping is on Thursdays though but it gets busy.

Kids......Our kids love it here, they are out till dark at the weekends playing with other kids in our culd-e-sac, either round their houses in their pool or all in our pool. I have no gripes about their school, they are both doing very well (they are 7 and 8 years old and go to state school). The school is very good at picking up on kids that are struggling and doing something about it. But I only know about their school, I have no info on other schools around here but most people seem happy with their school.

Work....yes it is tough to get a job, anywhere, but if you get to know people in your trade it is easier. My husband is in IT and so far hasn't had a problem finding contracts, now he knows a few people he won't have a problem getting another one next time. I work in horticulture and as this is a rural area I have found a job fairly easily in one of the many wholesale nurseries here. A lot of people tend to start up their own businesses and this seems to be the way to go if you have the money as there are lots of tax benefits, but then I'm not an accountant so can't say, but we know a few people who seem to be doing very well with their own companies.

Gripes....yes we have a few like the amount of tax we have found we have to pay, a lot of things/people seem to be a bit 'money grabbing'. House prices is our biggest gripe, we could no way afford to live in a house like this one, which is why we are renting still, but at least we are in a good area. We will probably invest in property elsewhere in the country as there are some real good tax benefits from having an investment property. We feel we have missed the boat big time in the property market around here, a few years ago we would have easily been able to afford this house and would probably be laughing all the way to the bank by now!!! Money grabbing - some things are unecessarily expensive and you have no choice but to pay as there are no other options, and some places just seem to want more from you once they have you (car servicing is just one area where this happens), its hard to explain but you'll understand if you live here. Public liability insurance for clubs etc is a joke. everything you do you have to sign a 'declaration' or have to join something else to be covered for personal accident, more money! But this is mainly down to fear of being sued by the likes of 'me the general public', or is it just the insurance companies cashing in? who knows, but somewhere down the line things went wrong and many clubs/organisations have had to close because of it.

Medicare - I've not had a problem with it but then I've hardly been to the doc since we've been here so can't comment. We took out private hospital cover with extra's after we found we were paying the extra 1%. We found a cover that costs less than the 1% it would have cost us in extra tax so its worth it (HCF). Also our 'extras' give us free dental checkups/minor treatments for all of us so we were chuffed with that.

Anyway, sorry this is long - like I said its been a while! all in all we are happy here as are most migrants we have met. Yes we miss the family/friends, but the good far outweighs everything else.

Oh and if you are thinking of moving to Sydney and have a young family try to avoid Cabramatta and most of the South/West. Some of Parramatta and Blacktown aren't pleasant either, but I'm sure someone on here will say otherwise.

Mandy
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Nice post, good luck to you. Our friends emigrated to sydney 2 years ago, Balgowlah near manly, like you they love it. The husband is also in I.T, took 5 months to get a job but now has a good one, they also say that no way can they afford to buy, but are happy in their 2 bed duplex.They survive very well on the one wage and have since had another child, they are sure they will never look back.We are coming out to visit them in march so will get all the pros and cons then. good luck in the future......... The Butler family.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:18 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: Life after nearly 2 years...

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for absolutely ages, so thought I'd share some things with you all wannabee migrants.

Mandy

Hi Mandy
Nice to hear from some one enjoying themselves still. I lived in Beecroft for 6 months and agree that out that way it is a nicer area altogether. Yes there are things that you don't like but they seem far out weighed by the good points. Keep up the positive posts because i think everyone should try it for themselves. Life is to short not to.
regards
nicholls and clan
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:38 am
joem

Default Re: Life after nearly 2 years...

Originally posted by Mandy Bale

Oh and if you are thinking of moving to Sydney and have a young family try to avoid Cabramatta and most of the South/West. Some of Parramatta and Blacktown aren't pleasant either, but I'm sure someone on here will say otherwise.

Mandy
Young family or not, those places should be avoided, they are the Creme de la Creme of shitholes:lecture:

joem

Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:35 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

good to hear from you again. Thanks for the useful post and it is of particular interest to us as we are heading to Sydney, my husband is in IT, and will be starting my own business.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 11:13 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi mandy,
nice to hear you are settling in so well!!!!
wondered how you were getting on...
keep posting!

sue
Old Jan 31st 2004, 11:28 am
earlswood

Hi Mandy,

Nice post Not moving to Sydney ourselves although we have been.

Hubby is in IT though and that's a concern
Although we could manage for 6-10 months.

Have a great life!

Earlswood

Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Noticed you hadnt posted for ages Mandy, I sometimes wondered how you were getting on. Good to hear you are enjoying it so much .
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Lillipilli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

I'm another very happy Sydneysider, and I lived in Castle Hill, next suburb to Dural, for twenty one years. As Mandy says, it's a beautiful area, and it has grown considerably, since we first built our home there.

You don't have to drive very far, before you are in the countryside. The Blue Mountains are quite near, and also the lovely old towns of Richmond and Windsor. We would often ride out there, and have a wander round.

I spent many happy hours in Flower Power, and Swanes Nurseries, are you working in one of these Mandy?

When we first arrived in Aus, we lived firstly in St Ives, and then Roseville, both on the north shore. The property there tends to be a lot older.

We sold our home, four years ago now, and moved up the north coast.

Lillipilli
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Funnily enough I actually work for Flower Power, but not at their retail, I work at their wholesale nursery out in Glenorie. Its a great place to work, nice people there. I've just started a new part time position there after being a weeder for a few months, I'm now their new trainee nurseryhand and am learning heaps.

Nice to hear from someone from around here

Mandy

ps. if you want any cheap plants I get them wholesale price!!

Originally posted by Lillipilli
Hiya,

I'm another very happy Sydneysider, and I lived in Castle Hill, next suburb to Dural, for twenty one years. As Mandy says, it's a beautiful area, and it has grown considerably, since we first built our home there.

You don't have to drive very far, before you are in the countryside. The Blue Mountains are quite near, and also the lovely old towns of Richmond and Windsor. We would often ride out there, and have a wander round.

I spent many happy hours in Flower Power, and Swanes Nurseries, are you working in one of these Mandy?

When we first arrived in Aus, we lived firstly in St Ives, and then Roseville, both on the north shore. The property there tends to be a lot older.

We sold our home, four years ago now, and moved up the north coast.

Lillipilli
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mandy
Funnily enough I'd been up at Flower Power the day I saw your post. I'll be in touch for those cheap plants when we eventually get round to sorting the garden!
Sue
Got any deals on agapanthas?
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same situation as you in regards to buying property. I think I will stick out of the investment property game but if you do invest do so for the rental returns as tax laws can change. What are the local shops and restaurants like in the Hills?

I doubt people will knock your post as it is honest and balanced.