Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Licences for Carpenters

Wikiposts

Licences for Carpenters

Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:18 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Licences for Carpenters

Originally Posted by ktee
Hi there just wanted to ask what ia a ABN , myself and partner are off to perth he is a carpenter, any in info much appreciated thanks kate
Got my ABN this morning online, only took 20 mins.
Now I can work as a sole trader or subbie.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Thanks so much you guys and Lisa thanks for all of that information. I shall PM you re the wages, really helpful. Have been off line for a couple of days due to office move but was great to log on the Expats and see loads of replies.

Peter and Karin, I shall PM you on what information we sent off to the TRA, hope it helps.

Cheers

Sun
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:07 am
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: Licences for Carpenters

Originally Posted by Wal10
ABN is Australian Business Number.

Carpenters are definitely licensed in Qld and NSW, and definitely not licensed in WA. Don't know about the other states.

Y.
Does it mean no licence, no work? Hubby is a self-employed general builder and will be applying under carpenter/joiner. We would probably need to find work pretty much straight away when/if we get to NSW. :scared: Can anyone advise whether licences are needed to be able to get building work, as a subbie or sole trader?

Has anyone managed to find work without licences in NSW? I'm worried that hubby would need to go back to school and pay fees before we could earn anything :scared: (he definitely wouldn't be impressed if he needed to go back to school ). WOuld love to hear your experiences and advice, thanks!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:15 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kch
Does it mean no licence, no work? Hubby is a self-employed general builder and will be applying under carpenter/joiner. We would probably need to find work pretty much straight away when/if we get to NSW. :scared: Can anyone advise whether licences are needed to be able to get building work, as a subbie or sole trader?

Has anyone managed to find work without licences in NSW? I'm worried that hubby would need to go back to school and pay fees before we could earn anything :scared: (he definitely wouldn't be impressed if he needed to go back to school ). WOuld love to hear your experiences and advice, thanks!
Is he a fully qualified Carpenter/Joiner?

Sorry dont know about licencing in NSW only that dont need one in Tas. Can you find out from their government website?

Good luck

Possoms
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

My hubby didn't need a license as a Tiler in Victoria but he will need one in Queensland to be self employed. But apparently he doesn't need one if he works as a subbie - some trades do and others don't but details are on the BSA website.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:12 am
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by possoms
Is he a fully qualified Carpenter/Joiner?

Sorry dont know about licencing in NSW only that dont need one in Tas. Can you find out from their government website?

Good luck

Possoms

Thanks for the replies, Possoms & Secretsquirral. No, he's not. Could someone suggest any govt website for me to look this up? I just google searched BSA, all I could find was BSA Queensland, NSW didn't seem to come up. Any help appreciated!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Hi i think the best thing to do is to have alook at the government sites for the state that your in.
My hubby is also a joiner/carpenter and he needs a business and supervisors license to do subcontract work. Were in Adelaide btw

Debs xxxx
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

You don't need a licence BUT...............................the wages are pretty shite without one. My partner john has just got his bricklaying licence, it took 4 and half months to get and cost about $2000 dollars. He had to do a 3 day managment course, health and safety blue card, occupational health and safety, go to college for 4 days, also be assesed on site :scared: You have to pay for your licence aswell and renew it every year.

I think if you've not got your licence they can pay you a basic wage.....but with a licence you can work for yourself and hopefully earn more.

Also if you want to advertise your trade in the paper and you don't have a licence, your supposed to advertise in the handyman section - and not earn more than about $1200 dollars including materials a week :scared: (that's what we were told).

lesley
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kch
Thanks for the replies, Possoms & Secretsquirral. No, he's not. Could someone suggest any govt website for me to look this up? I just google searched BSA, all I could find was BSA Queensland, NSW didn't seem to come up. Any help appreciated!
sorry if i'm being a bit daft here, but if hes not a qualified carpenter and joiner how can he apply as one?

my partner had to provide all his qualifications and apprenticeship references.

Possoms
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:38 pm
kch
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the replies and all the info. Sounds like hubby wouldn't get away from going back to school again, shxxe! (I haven't told him about licencing yet, he'd be impressed with their bureaucracy!! :scared:

Originally Posted by JJL family
You don't need a licence BUT...............................the wages are pretty shite without one. My partner john has just got his bricklaying licence, it took 4 and half months to get and cost about $2000 dollars. He had to do a 3 day managment course, health and safety blue card, occupational health and safety, go to college for 4 days, also be assesed on site :scared: You have to pay for your licence aswell and renew it every year.

:scared:

I think if you've not got your licence they can pay you a basic wage.....but with a licence you can work for yourself and hopefully earn more.

Also if you want to advertise your trade in the paper and you don't have a licence, your supposed to advertise in the handyman section - and not earn more than about $1200 dollars including materials a week :scared: (that's what we were told).

lesley
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:49 pm
kch
Forum Regular

sorry if i'm being a bit daft here, but if hes not a qualified carpenter and joiner how can he apply as one?

Possoms
Sorry Possoms, I meant he hasn't got any formal qualifications or certificates, but was trained by a qualified carpenter... Hubby's more than qualified, but just haven't got the formal papers...
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by kch
Sorry Possoms, I meant he hasn't got any formal qualifications or certificates, but was trained by a qualified carpenter... Hubby's more than qualified, but just haven't got the formal papers...
ahhh, well I just want to wish you loads of luck with your application hope everything goes smoothly
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:54 pm
kch
Forum Regular

ahhh, well I just want to wish you loads of luck with your application hope everything goes smoothly
Thank you Possoms. When are you moving to Tas? Best of luck with it and have a great life !!
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by kch
Thank you Possoms. When are you moving to Tas? Best of luck with it and have a great life !!
Thanks you, we got the visas in August, but are having real trouble selling the house as soon as we sell we can go
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:12 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Possoms
Qualifications mean nothing here, you just as well write them yourself.
You just need to provide proof that you have worked as a carpenter and have paid tax for at least 3 of the last 4 years.
You dont need a license in WA to be a chippie or a tiler and you earn full rates straight away.
Dont believe all the negative hype on here about wages in Perth, the money is good for those that want to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.