Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Licences for Carpenters

Wikiposts

Licences for Carpenters

Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Talking Licences for Carpenters

I am new to this site but have read many helpful hints over the last few months and want to return the favour. We have just received a positive trades assessment back and if I can give anyone helpful advice with a TRA application, please just let me know.

I do have some more questions though. I don't know if anyone will be able to help me but my husband is a carpenter and we are hoping to live in Queensland (Sunshine Coast). Does anyone know if he has to have a licence to work there as a subbie and if so how we go about getting it and how much it costs? Also does anyone know what insurances he would have to have and how much they cost or anything else that he might have to have?

Also does anyone know what the wages are like for a Carpenter in that area, either as a subbie or as an employed person?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Sun
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:33 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Licences for Carpenters

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
I am new to this site but have read many helpful hints over the last few months and want to return the favour. We have just received a positive trades assessment back and if I can give anyone helpful advice with a TRA application, please just let me know.

I do have some more questions though. I don't know if anyone will be able to help me but my husband is a carpenter and we are hoping to live in Queensland (Sunshine Coast). Does anyone know if he has to have a licence to work there as a subbie and if so how we go about getting it and how much it costs? Also does anyone know what insurances he would have to have and how much they cost or anything else that he might have to have?

Also does anyone know what the wages are like for a Carpenter in that area, either as a subbie or as an employed person?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Sun
Hi dont need a licence for a carpenter/joiner. Sorry cant help on the wages
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi dont need a licence for a carpenter/joiner. Sorry cant help on the wages
Cheers Possoms
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:39 am

Cheers Possoms
tis Ok just thought on though, this is what the Tasmanian goverment told us, but I assume it the same for all states Good luck
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Peter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nice

Sun
Sorry don't have any info on that , but would appreciate some assistance with the TRA, I feel like I'm writing a novel. reading the advice of others has got me very confused as to what and how much info they actually want.would appreciate a chat if you don't mind!!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:20 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter & Karin
Sorry don't have any info on that , but would appreciate some assistance with the TRA, I feel like I'm writing a novel. reading the advice of others has got me very confused as to what and how much info they actually want.would appreciate a chat if you don't mind!!

hi what skill are you going to apply under ?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Peter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi what skill are you going to apply under ?
Applying as a carpenter/joiner
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sun,

Yes you do need a licence in Queensland, my hubby is a carpenter here, you can get obtain it in 2 ways, you get a job first and get the BSA (www.bsa.qld.gov.au) to come onto site and assess you, can cost around $1000 dollars or more,but this doesn't get your licence only an assessment, or my hubby paid $50 went to tafe for 18 weeks one night a week on a course called upgrade of skills and got his certificate III in carpentry (its basically a waste of time and goes over everything you do as an apprentice but at least you then have australian qualifications). Once you have done either one of these you contact the BSA again and have to do a weekend course covering lots of stuff from bookkeeping to management, and this costs $500, its the only way you can get your licence!! he will probably be lucky and get some work without the licence, but eventually he will need it as its getting tougher here, so many rogue tradesmen. Tell him not to say he's a Joiner when he gets here, as Joiners are only kitchen fitters, he needs to say carpenter.

If you want to know about wages PM me and I will let you know.

Lisa
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Hi Sun,

Yes you do need a licence in Queensland, my hubby is a carpenter here, you can get obtain it in 2 ways, you get a job first and get the BSA (www.bsa.qld.gov.au) to come onto site and assess you, can cost around $1000 dollars or more,but this doesn't get your licence only an assessment, or my hubby paid $50 went to tafe for 18 weeks one night a week on a course called upgrade of skills and got his certificate III in carpentry (its basically a waste of time and goes over everything you do as an apprentice but at least you then have australian qualifications). Once you have done either one of these you contact the BSA again and have to do a weekend course covering lots of stuff from bookkeeping to management, and this costs $500, its the only way you can get your licence!! he will probably be lucky and get some work without the licence, but eventually he will need it as its getting tougher here, so many rogue tradesmen. Tell him not to say he's a Joiner when he gets here, as Joiners are only kitchen fitters, he needs to say carpenter.

Lisa
Wonder why you need a licence in one state but not in another??
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:46 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Hi ,
I'm in Perth and am also a carpenter, I dont have a job yet as tools haven't arrived but I have made enquires, rang around a few jobs etc.
So far no-one has asked or even mentioned needing a license.
I have been told to get an ABN though as this opens up more opportunities, ie working as a subbie seems to be the way to go.
I will let you know how I get on if you are interested.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Hi Sun,

Lisa

I was thinking you could help with this post Lisa! ...
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:03 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sun,

Lisa
Bookeeping and management - why on earth do they want you to do that? :scared: I didn't know you had to have all this done too, thought that's what the TRA assessment was for. Jeeze, Mr Clip's gonna love me when I tell him he's gotta go back to school.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:14 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Card is needed also, for site and union work.

ABN is a must have.

A good way for newbies to get business quickly, is to get BartedCard and accept BarterCard payments.

Think their site is astonishingly bartercard.com.au lol
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

ktee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant future

Hi there just wanted to ask what ia a ABN , myself and partner are off to perth he is a carpenter, any in info much appreciated thanks kate
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back to UK Oct 05,Gold Coast Feb 05, Perth Jan 2005 (South Wales b4 that)
Wal10 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ktee
Hi there just wanted to ask what ia a ABN , myself and partner are off to perth he is a carpenter, any in info much appreciated thanks kate
ABN is Australian Business Number.

Carpenters are definitely licensed in Qld and NSW, and definitely not licensed in WA. Don't know about the other states.

Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.