Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Levels and Uni Entry

A Levels and Uni Entry

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:12 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of
Default A Levels and Uni Entry

Hi. This is for anyone with teenagers who are taking A Levels, and want to go on to Uni. My eldest is just sitting her GCSEs, and we are looking to move to Perth when she has finished her A Levels.

She wants to be a vet, so i've been checking out compatability of UK exams and Aus entry requirements.

The following link is for Murdoch Uni in Perth:

http://www.international.murdoch.edu...ds/UGEntry.pdf

Third column gives course fees, and fifth column shows total GCE A Level points required (A = 5 pts, B = 4 pts etc).

I realise entry requirements will vary from state to state, and uni to uni, but hopefully this will give some idea of what's needed. Hopefully a bit of reassurance too to anyone who, like us, has been agonising over their childrens' education and career prospects.

I'd be interested to hear about any recent real life experiences on this, particularly in WA.

Cheers
Karl
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:58 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Levels and Uni Entry

And this is for all states (along same lines)
http://www.britishcouncil.org.au/edu...ments.htm#comp

now ye cant say i dont do stuff for ya's

Disclaimer: I am not advocating education.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:12 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seang
And this is for all states (along same lines)
http://www.britishcouncil.org.au/edu...ments.htm#comp

now ye cant say i dont do stuff for ya's

Disclaimer: I am not advocating education.
Cheers. That looks useful.

Karl
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

hi, the OP score needed varies with each course and each uni. my son is 17, did his GCSE's last year and he has got on a 6 month pathway which if he passess will give him an OP score high enough to get on the course he wants (bachelor of sport and industry). this pathway course is free and is undertaken at the uni so he has not even needed to do AS or A levels to get on it. all in all this will save him 18 months of studying and of course save me $$$$ in supporting him whilst he's studying. we fly out on the 19th of june and he starts it on the 17th of july so it has worked out quite well. selina
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

beverley3312 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by selina
hi, the OP score needed varies with each course and each uni. my son is 17, did his GCSE's last year and he has got on a 6 month pathway which if he passess will give him an OP score high enough to get on the course he wants (bachelor of sport and industry). this pathway course is free and is undertaken at the uni so he has not even needed to do AS or A levels to get on it. all in all this will save him 18 months of studying and of course save me $$$$ in supporting him whilst he's studying. we fly out on the 19th of june and he starts it on the 17th of july so it has worked out quite well. selina
Hi Selina - so glad I caught your thread - could you just veryify what you said, please? i.e. has your son got GSCE qualifications ?- didn't start Alevels?
Tell me more about Pathway?
I'm really panicking - son is 16 coming over in Oct- although he wants to carry on with his education doesn't want to have to drop a year which I get the impression he'll have to? PLEASE PLEASE tell me he has other options!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by beverley3312
Hi Selina - so glad I caught your thread - could you just veryify what you said, please? i.e. has your son got GSCE qualifications ?- didn't start Alevels?
Tell me more about Pathway?
I'm really panicking - son is 16 coming over in Oct- although he wants to carry on with his education doesn't want to have to drop a year which I get the impression he'll have to? PLEASE PLEASE tell me he has other options!!!!
hi, the course luke (my son) is doing is called a pathway course. most TAFE's and now alot of the Uni's offer these to students who don't have an OP score from an Oz high school. you don't need to have done AS or A levels to get on it. you can do it in 6 months full time or 12 months part time. if you go on the Sunshine Coast Uni website and search for TPP (this is the course) you will find all the info on it. if your son has done his GCSE's there is no need for him to go back to school. he can go to college or uni instead if he wants, however, he will be mixing with people older than him so that is something to consider. good luck. selina x
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
Hi. This is for anyone with teenagers who are taking A Levels, and want to go on to Uni. My eldest is just sitting her GCSEs, and we are looking to move to Perth when she has finished her A Levels.

She wants to be a vet, so i've been checking out compatability of UK exams and Aus entry requirements.

The following link is for Murdoch Uni in Perth:

http://www.international.murdoch.edu...ds/UGEntry.pdf

Third column gives course fees, and fifth column shows total GCE A Level points required (A = 5 pts, B = 4 pts etc).

I realise entry requirements will vary from state to state, and uni to uni, but hopefully this will give some idea of what's needed. Hopefully a bit of reassurance too to anyone who, like us, has been agonising over their childrens' education and career prospects.

I'd be interested to hear about any recent real life experiences on this, particularly in WA.

Cheers
Karl
Hi there, as you know it works on points, so just to let you know they dont accept general studies A level. My daughter did not have enough points and had to do a 6 month pathway, which cost us 4,500 at TAFE [ college], she can now get into Uni, but wants to travel round Oz first.
My son is at M t Lawley, he is doing 2 years of a 3 yr course, he got 120 points credited, as he has a Natioanal Diploma.
His course is costing us $8,000 a semester. Dont you just love them !!!!!

Denise
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi there, as you know it works on points, so just to let you know they dont accept general studies A level. My daughter did not have enough points and had to do a 6 month pathway, which cost us 4,500 at TAFE [ college], she can now get into Uni, but wants to travel round Oz first.
My son is at M t Lawley, he is doing 2 years of a 3 yr course, he got 120 points credited, as he has a Natioanal Diploma.
His course is costing us $8,000 a semester. Dont you just love them !!!!!

Denise
my god you paid 4,500 for the pathway course! the one my son is doing is free. your point about them not accepting the A levels is exactly the reason why my son never bothered going to college whilst we were still in the UK. he got a job as soon as he left school until we came to OZ and i think it did him good to see what real life and paying your own way is all about. selina x
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selina
my god you paid 4,500 for the pathway course! the one my son is doing is free. your point about them not accepting the A levels is exactly the reason why my son never bothered going to college whilst we were still in the UK. he got a job as soon as he left school until we came to OZ and i think it did him good to see what real life and paying your own way is all about. selina x
Hi Selina, its a long story, but my daughter could not come out when we did [1st marriage thing, arse of a dad].
So she had to come over on a student visa, so it was well worth the money to me. She now has PR.
Denise