Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Letton Percival - Shipping Insurance

Letton Percival - Shipping Insurance

Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Letton Percival - Shipping Insurance

Hi everyone

I am just wondering if many of you have opted for a third party company like Letton Percival to insure your goods when shipping them to Oz.

I got quoted 1.53% of the total value of the good are professionally packed (as opposed to the 3% which most shipping companies seem to offer).

Has anyone had to claim through LP? And wht do shippers think of it if you dont take out their own insurance? Maybe they dont take so much care when professionally packing the goods!!

Cheer

SS
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:03 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Letton Percival - Shipping Insurance

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Hi everyone

I am just wondering if many of you have opted for a third party company like Letton Percival to insure your goods when shipping them to Oz.

I got quoted 1.53% of the total value of the good are professionally packed (as opposed to the 3% which most shipping companies seem to offer).

Has anyone had to claim through LP? And wht do shippers think of it if you dont take out their own insurance? Maybe they dont take so much care when professionally packing the goods!!

Cheer

SS
Do a forum search on this, I know it's been mentioned recently.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SS

I'm interested in this too. We have had a couple of shippers around and I mentioned we were looking at taking insurance out elsewhere. None so far have raised any objections but the one today advised us to ensure they are FSA regulated and that the cover is marine insurance as opposed to just 'total loss' (i.e. container lost at sea). Apparently some insurance companies will only be able to offer insurance for this country (think this is the indemnity insurance type), i.e. once it leaves the dock it's not insured!! Being FSA regulated is important and the shipper will only accept cover that qualifies for what they would usually cover.

Would be interested to hear what others who have taken the option to insure separately think about it.

Cheers
BB

PS the shipper today pointed out the clause which all removal firms have about the ship having the right to 'get rid' of your container should circumstances require (eg in heavy storm its your container or the ship type of scenario)...........scary thought!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Cheer

SS
Have just today returned the completed paperwork to Letton Percival - paid £500 less than if we'd insured through the shippers.

Our shippers also wanted to charge 3% but they don't call it "insurance" - they call it "standard liability" - as we haven't paid the extra 3% with them, they have "limited liability" under their terms and conditions (which I think are BAR's standard ones). From memory this means that their liability is £40 for any damaged item.....

Haven't heard of anyone making a claim through LP before....
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Thanks for your feedback everyone....from what I can make out from the paperwork, LP are underwritten by Manchester marine insurance so it should be ok. And it also looks like they are FSA regulated.

SS
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your feedback everyone....from what I can make out from the paperwork, LP are underwritten by Manchester marine insurance so it should be ok. And it also looks like they are FSA regulated.

SS
We have used them. Were quoted 1.5% instead of the 3% the shippers wanted. Some of the shippers use them. No point in paying double for the same service. I had to phone them to query a few things and the guy was so helpful. Answered all the questions, asked some more and gave more answers to questions I didn't know I wanted answers to . Our shippers (John Mason) had no problems accepting we were not using their insurance. Hopefully won't need to contact them but better safe than sorry blah blah blah.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks moneypen20.

SS
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Likewise, I used Letton Percival. No problems arranging the insurance, and Allied Pickfords were fine about it v- no tetchiness etc..

I didn't need to make a claims so cannot comment on clams experience.

Would use again if I had to repeat the experience.

Neil
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks wongstonn...they do seem like a good option. I just wonder if their cover if for "Total Loss" only or whether you can claim for specific items if they get broken or damaged en route..does anyone know?

SS
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Yes, it does run to item level, not just total loss. Can't remember to excess, though.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the easy bit is arranging it. After all - it's easy handing over your money.

Big question though : How easy is it to get any money out of them if you've had to claim? Any experiences?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marco121068
I suppose the easy bit is arranging it. After all - it's easy handing over your money.

Big question though : How easy is it to get any money out of them if you've had to claim? Any experiences?

I'd defo like to know if anyone has made a claim through them as well....it doesnt seem as if anyone has though. But for the cost savings they offer it could be well worth a punt. I imagine it is tough claiming on all insurance policies.

SS