Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Letter saying we owe Tax Credits money back!! What would you do?

Letter saying we owe Tax Credits money back!! What would you do?

Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:57 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Letter saying we owe Tax Credits money back!! What would you do?

We got a letter today saying that we owe just under £300 in Tax Credits back to the government and that we have 14 days to repay the money!!

We are both so pissed off, as we went through all the right channels informing them when we were leaving and even queried that they were still paying us to be informed that yes they were right and gave us a final date for last payment etc and then today we get this letter!!

So annoyed about it as we now have no funds in the UK and £300 in $$ is alot of money to us right now that we simply dont have!!

I know we have seen threads on here before about similar situations, just wondered what others did!!

I want to tell them to poke it!! But OH says that we have to pay it, but what makes me so cross if we hadnt informed them we had left the country etc etc then fair enough but we did!!

Its not our fault that they cant get it right, why should we now be at a disadvantage because of it!!?? OK you can say we shouldnt of spent the money in the first place but like I said we rang and double checked the payments they were making to us were correct and we were told that yes they were!!!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Letter saying we owe Tax Credits money back!! What would you do?

I'd phone the helpline and check your details (income, date left UK etc.) are correct.
We've had ongoing correspondance with Tax Credit people for a year now, each month it's a different amount of money either owed by us or due to us.
Once it's all checked, if you owe them, I'd pay it and leave it at that.
You never know when you may need to go back and you may need to access UK support - is it worth the risk?

At the end of the day, you haven't have been disadvanted, as you have received money you are not entitled to,so morally you should pay it back.
Not bad morals for an Atheist eh???
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:11 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by njk435
At the end of the day, you haven't have been disadvanted, as you have received money you are not entitled to,so morally you should pay it back.
But this is part of my point, THEY said we were owed the money!! We checked with them and they said we were entitled to it!!?!?!!?!

Go back to the UK, NO WAY!! If it dont work out here there are plenty other places to try before I would ever go back permanently to the UK!!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
We got a letter today saying that we owe just under £300 in Tax Credits back to the government and that we have 14 days to repay the money!!

We are both so pissed off, as we went through all the right channels informing them when we were leaving and even queried that they were still paying us to be informed that yes they were right and gave us a final date for last payment etc and then today we get this letter!!

So annoyed about it as we now have no funds in the UK and £300 in $$ is alot of money to us right now that we simply dont have!!

I know we have seen threads on here before about similar situations, just wondered what others did!!

I want to tell them to poke it!! But OH says that we have to pay it, but what makes me so cross if we hadnt informed them we had left the country etc etc then fair enough but we did!!

Its not our fault that they cant get it right, why should we now be at a disadvantage because of it!!?? OK you can say we shouldnt of spent the money in the first place but like I said we rang and double checked the payments they were making to us were correct and we were told that yes they were!!!
I'd tell them to get F****D
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:11 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

If you check the official gov documentation

there is a paragraph that states if you are given incorrect information by letter or via the helpdesk then you will not be asked to pay it back.

but to do this you will probably have to go throught the appeal process and we tried that several years ago and still have had nothing back - if we phone and query we are just told that the appeal is ongoing and they will get back to us eventually!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:16 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

£300
just pay it back, if it was not for tax crediits could you have afforded to come here ? they will track you down is it worth it ?
Dave
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:19 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you go through the appeal process

it will give you some time to save up the £300 slowly and if you then don't need to pay it back bonus
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:21 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace
I'd tell them to get F****D
F****D does that spell P***CK
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:23 pm
Essex Staffy

So in the uk all my tax money and national insurance did go to other t*****s other than eastern europeans
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sham Williams;5271822]
Originally Posted by njk435
QUOTE]

But this is part of my point, THEY said we were owed the money!! We checked with them and they said we were entitled to it!!?!?!!?!

Go back to the UK, NO WAY!! If it dont work out here there are plenty other places to try before I would ever go back permanently to the UK!!

Sorry to hear of your predicament, but don't expect it to be any better here. I've had a couple of times when Centrelink have overpaid me, through no fault of my own, and I've had to pay back $3,000 - as a struggling single mother too. I took it to appeal, they admitted they were in the wrong (as in I had supplied them with the correct information and they had incorrectly overpaid me), but I still lost the appeal and had to pay it back.

My advice to you would be to pay it (albeit through gritted teeth). You might say now that you'll never go back, but these forums teach you that you never know what surprises life may have for you around the corner and you don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Good luck with the rest of your journey to Aus!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

F**k em.

We owe £5k due to their incompetence when I changed jobs, wife had baby and went back to college.

The departments in this country aint got a clue what the fk is going, as there is so much money around in UK, its a disgrace.

Just disappear from this country and dont look back.....also remember to play the game though, if you come back you can be easily arrested if deemed to have fraudently and deliberatly behaved in going without paying back,and knowing so.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

[QUOTE=rabsody;5272179]

Sorry to hear of your predicament, but don't expect it to be any better here. I've had a couple of times when Centrelink have overpaid me, through no fault of my own, and I've had to pay back $3,000 - as a struggling single mother too. I took it to appeal, they admitted they were in the wrong (as in I had supplied them with the correct information and they had incorrectly overpaid me), but I still lost the appeal and had to pay it back.

My advice to you would be to pay it (albeit through gritted teeth). You might say now that you'll never go back, but these forums teach you that you never know what surprises life may have for you around the corner and you don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Good luck with the rest of your journey to Aus!
They informed us we owed £900 when we left the Uk and came to Oz. After 6 months of letters they said they would start debt collection proceedings so we are paying it back at £90 per month through gritted teeth!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:45 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

We had exactly the same situation except for the fact that the customer service peeps told us that we didn't have to pay it back as it was their fault.

They sent us a dispute claim form which I duly filled in and returned.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by on a mission
F**k em.

We owe £5k due to their incompetence when I changed jobs, wife had baby and went back to college.

The departments in this country aint got a clue what the fk is going, as there is so much money around in UK, its a disgrace.

Just disappear from this country and dont look back.....also remember to play the game though, if you come back you can be easily arrested if deemed to have fraudently and deliberatly behaved in going without paying back,and knowing so.
If they returned to the UK couldnt they just pay it then. Surely no one would get arrested if they paid it back?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Also,

never tell anyone what you are thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

They have spies everywhere, and I know for a fact this site is monitored by HMRC for people leaving the country.....

IP addresses and emails and all....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.