Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A letter from JVC...those with Plasma's HELP!

A letter from JVC...those with Plasma's HELP!

Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:13 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A letter from JVC...those with Plasma's HELP!

Hi

I have a JVC Plasma screen TV and have searched for threads from people bringing theirs into OZ.....cant seem to get a definitive answer. but many people say theirs works....I got this from JVC today.............

Thank you for your enquiry, regarding your JVC PD-35B50BU Plasma
Television.

The PD-35B50BU is a product designed for distribution with-in the
United
Kingdom. As a result, this product is designed to use the PAL I
television
system used in the United Kingdom. Unfortunately, the PAL I television
system is not compatible with the PAL B H television system used in
Australia. Therefore, your television is not suitable for use with the
television broadcasts in Australia.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

JVC (U.K.) Ltd
Customer Service Dept.

Can anyone with a Plasma, especially a JVC tell me if theirs works please? They are so damn expensive and I wont even get half of what I paid for it if I sell before I go and I know they are really expensive in Oz!

Thanks

Lucy
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A letter from JVC...those with Plasma's HELP!

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi

I have a JVC Plasma screen TV and have searched for threads from people bringing theirs into OZ.....cant seem to get a definitive answer. but many people say theirs works....I got this from JVC today.............

Thank you for your enquiry, regarding your JVC PD-35B50BU Plasma
Television.

The PD-35B50BU is a product designed for distribution with-in the
United
Kingdom. As a result, this product is designed to use the PAL I
television
system used in the United Kingdom. Unfortunately, the PAL I television
system is not compatible with the PAL B H television system used in
Australia. Therefore, your television is not suitable for use with the
television broadcasts in Australia.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

JVC (U.K.) Ltd
Customer Service Dept.

Can anyone with a Plasma, especially a JVC tell me if theirs works please? They are so damn expensive and I wont even get half of what I paid for it if I sell before I go and I know they are really expensive in Oz!

Thanks

Lucy
I got a similar email from Sharp re my widescreen. As has been said on here many times before, most UK TV's need to be played through an Aussie VCR / DVD or you don't get sound. You can probably pick one up for $50 so I am taking my nearly new TV.

Reading between the lines they don't want you to but you can often get them modified although I have seen estimates on here from $50 to $350. It would also invalidate a warranty (assuming it is international anyway)
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy,
The different PAL systems used affects the sound. You can get the picture but no sound.
A lot of later model TVs have the functionality to change the settings to different regions. Not yours acording to JVC.
You can have CRT models "chipped" and a friend of ours also had ther rear projection set done. I would have thought this is possible with a plasma too but can't confirm it.
Watching TV via a DVD or tape player also works so also should with a plasma I guess.

Plasma sets are taking off in a big way here and prices have dropped a lot in the 9 months we have been here.
They are now in AUD what I remember them to be in GBP before we left the UK.

A lot depends on quality and size of course (of course ).
Our gurt big CRT was a removal write-off so we put the insurance money towards upgrading to a Plasma.

Samsung 42" model ready for high definition TV (already started in Aus) and a higher than normal resolution. The sound is excellent too. We had visitors the other day who said our surround system was far better than theirs. We don't have a surround system plugged in ! The sound is that good. This one cost us AUD 4400 which I don't think is expensive for the quality however we did bargain hard as their shop price was AUD 6000.

There are cheaper models as low as AUD 3000 but not of the same specification.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:33 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Anyone else shipped a plasma and got any pearls of wisdom please?

Lucyb
xx
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future

Hi

We have a 46" plasma but does not have a tuner built in so no problems with compatability.

Only problem we have is that we are going to get rid of all of our stuff before we go and only ship over a few boxes as I am not sure whether the plasma would survive the heat in the container.

I guess it will be on Ebay by the end of the year or early next year unless someone can suggest a reasonably priced and secure way of shipping it.

Cheers

AnitaB
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Although not a plasma tv, our doesn't pick up oz tv at all. We pick up foxtell no probs and last week we bought a set top box and now get all channels no problems. It cost $120.

Jo
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing to remember is that unless you buy a stereo DVD/video to run it through, you'll end up with sound thats only mono. Of course, thats not such a big problem if you buy a stereo one - its just going to cost you alot more than the $50 someone else mentioned .
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Set top boxes, are on sale at Aldi here at present for 79 bucks

One can also get a 5.1 channel dvd player at Aldi (tevion) which is a typical chinese clone, exactly the same as a 'conia', (which coincidently sells at JB HIFI for 99 bucks) and numerous other labels, for 50 bucks.

The Plasma tv will almost certainly run through both of those.

Or....

if you prefer a name brand, Sony DVD/VCR full dolby 5.1 channel with tv Tuner, cost circa 250 bucks. From places like JB Hi Fi/Muirs/Hi Fi Supermarket.

It will all play through foxtel though for certain, In fact give foxtel a ring.

(anyone got their number ?)
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:45 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a new JVC TV and they told me the same thing when I asked them re: compatability.
It does work fine combined with my UK JVC DVD 5.1 player, Fox Box and Ozzie DVD recorder (with tuner built in for terrestial channels).
Only issue is all sound has to come out of the 5.1 so no big deal at all.
I did have an issue with the TV but JVC told me the warranty was not valid outside of Europe (which is eactly what it says on the warranty unfortunately).

Andrew
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by joho
Although not a plasma tv, our doesn't pick up oz tv at all. We pick up foxtell no probs and last week we bought a set top box and now get all channels no problems. It cost $120.

Jo
Just for the technical geeks, something that no-one ever mentions is that in UK TV channels use 8MHz but in Aus it is 7MHz. A lot of analogue TV's will be able to 'pull in' the difference, but will never perform as well as an Aussie TV. This also applies to UK TV that can switch to PAL B/G because they are still designed for 8MHz channels.

We brought our TV to use with a video as a tuner, but it was so damp when it arrived that the EHT was arcing all over the place and it refused to start until I serviced it. I would suggest for any electronics items, to pack them well and then wrap the box in cling film to keep out moisture. (maybe stick in some silica gel too) You can get industrial cling film on a really big roll from packaging places. Don't wrap the cling film directly on plastic or polished surfaces, because the plasticisers can damage the surface over a period. Same with bubble wrap apparently.