Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's try this again

Let's try this again

Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Let's try this again

Looking for a savings account in Oz that I can transfer our house money into while still in the UK (we're not going to oz until next april but want to take advantage of the good exchange rate at present).

Instant access, online access to account. Can be linked to our ANZ accounts that we have already opened and can put money into but not out of until we get there and validate them.

So, to recap, I don't have a TFN number yet or a residential address in oz.

Any suggestions? Westbank and ING both seem to need you to be resident or have a TFN number (which I'm presuming I need an oz adress to apply for online).

Andy
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's try this again

Originally Posted by cadman
Looking for a savings account in Oz that I can transfer our house money into while still in the UK (we're not going to oz until next april but want to take advantage of the good exchange rate at present).

Instant access, online access to account. Can be linked to our ANZ accounts that we have already opened and can put money into but not out of until we get there and validate them.

Any suggestions? Westbank and ING both seem to need you to be resident or have a TFN number (which I'm presuming I need an oz adress to apply for online).

Andy
We opened ours with Bank West when we were out here on holiday. We didn't have a Aus address, just used our U.K address. No TFN number, no problem. We transfered our house money over while we were in the UK and got a statement via the post every month but could also access the account via the internet no problems. Although we kept hearing about the high Aus bank charges the account hasn't cost us anything and since we got here nearly 4 weeks ago we have used the account a lot with no problems.
Tracie
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:27 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy
Hi what about the commonwealth bank is that any good?

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/movi...ng_an_account/
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

SydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura about

Andy
Can't really help but I put quite a large amount of money in to my Commonwealth Account that was opened from the UK about a month before I got here. By the time I had applied for a TFN etc it was more than a month and I ended up being charged $170.00 TNF withholding tax. This would have been charged every month until I provided them with a TNF number. I will be able to claim it back at the end of the year but it's a lot of hassle.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

For a great savings account with 6.8% interest for the first year, logon to bank west and click on telenet account. you can open the account online print off the forms sign and post and it's all done. They link the savings account to your Oz bank account and you can set up savings each mth/wk or fortnight. Best rate i've seen and it only took 3 days to set up. We are with commonwealth bank and set it up from the london branch before we left and sent the money over two days before we flew and they have also been great with no hassles whatsoever. We went to the martin place branch (head office) in sydney and had our own migrant banking officer who couldn't do enough for us. He even gave me an application form for a job at the bank! So no complaints there - now have mortgage with them too. but for plain savings, try bankwest online telenet account - sorry to waffle on.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:32 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Don't touch Commonwealth Bank - bunch of tossers.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

As you've already got an account with the ANZ - why not see if you can open a V2 account. Granted - the interest rate is 'only' 5%, but it might just be easier.

Don't forget that without a TFN your interest will be taxed at something like 48% - but you should be able to reclaim that at year end.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:43 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Been with them 18 months with no problems whatsoever...
luck of the draw I suppose?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:21 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SydneySwede
Can't really help but I put quite a large amount of money in to my Commonwealth Account that was opened from the UK about a month before I got here. By the time I had applied for a TFN etc it was more than a month and I ended up being charged $170.00 TNF withholding tax. This would have been charged every month until I provided them with a TNF number. I will be able to claim it back at the end of the year but it's a lot of hassle.

I claimed it back by walking into my local branch, giving the tax file numbers and the teller did the rest - it was back in our account within 24hrs.
I have found the Commonwealth bank really good - have had nothing but good service so far
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Andy
Try HSBC offshore they are very good.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by debsy
Try HSBC offshore they are very good.

I have been with the HSBC for the last 13 years. They were great in the old days, if we went over our O/D limit we got charged £27 for the month.
Suddenly they changed it (they claim they told us but it's not like you have a choice is it?) and it changed to £20 per day for up to 5 days over our O/D limit in the month i.e. it changed from £27 to £100.

So..... as far as the HSBC is concerned, they can FOOK RIGHT ORF !

I'm going to look into an ANZ account. I thought the tax on the interest for people without a TFN was 10% though ? 48% WTF ? but I can get it back yes ? even though I don't arrive until April i.e. after the end of the tax year (31st march same as here?)

god, what to do ? I just know that if I stick it in an account here unitl we go that the exchange rate will plummet from 2.48/9 at the mo to 2.20 !

andy
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:50 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
care to elaborate? we're just in the middle of opening an account with them.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been with the HSBC for the last 13 years. They were great in the old days, if we went over our O/D limit we got charged £27 for the month.
Suddenly they changed it (they claim they told us but it's not like you have a choice is it?) and it changed to £20 per day for up to 5 days over our O/D limit in the month i.e. it changed from £27 to £100.

I'm going to look into an ANZ account. I thought the tax on the interest for people without a TFN was 10% though ? 48% WTF ? but I can get it back yes ? even though I don't arrive until April i.e. after the end of the tax year (31st march same as here?)

god, what to do ? I just know that if I stick it in an account here unitl we go that the exchange rate will plummet from 2.48/9 at the mo to 2.20 !

andy
Hi Andy,

We use ANZ, they are fabulous I think.

The tax year here ends on the 30th June
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Andy,

We use ANZ, they are fabulous I think.

The tax year here ends on the 30th June
Thanks Wendy, that could be good then.

Andy

PS - I have generally heard bad things about the CBA
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:54 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

andy
Hi Andy, I think Aus tax year is Jan To Dec I think?, I'm sure someone will let us know soon
Can you not reply while I'm typing WENDY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.