Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's talk whitetails...

Wikiposts

Let's talk whitetails...

Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:40 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Let's talk whitetails...

I believe Red Backs must eat light bulbs as I keep finding them in the damm things.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:24 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Haven't seen any since my post but constantly looking at the ceiling and walls....

It doesn't help that dd has three nasty bites, two on her leg and one on her arm, right now. I thought they were ant bites when she came home from school with them last Tuesday, and they were just small, hard lumps then, but today they're larger and are not looking that nice at all. We took her to the local pharmacy this morning, and the pharmacist said that he didn't know what had inflicted them, but if it was a spider that had bitten her she was okay because more than an hour had passed with no crisis. He reckoned that if a bad reaction was going to happen, it would do so within an hour. He said to watch for any signs of infection but that they were alright today.

I'm now busy putting two and two together and making five, I think. I've never seen a whitetail in the house before yesterday, but I'm still wondering....

Sue
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:04 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd say whitetails are the single biggest threat in Australia, very unpredictable in where you will find them, they seem to love bedding as well. Some people can be bitten by them with very little symptoms, right through to being killed. One side effect is necrotosing arachnadism, or "dying/rotting flesh". It's about the only critter here, that I am genuinely fearful of. Most people get bitten in their sleep by these things, re the bedding habitat. It's also the most likely spider bite that people will recieve.

I think ??? I've been bitten by one of these things 3 times in my time here in Aussie. With just localised sore irritation to show for it

One of my daughters teenage freinds got bitten in the mouth by one as she lay asleep here in our house, and had to go to hospital, because her throat swelled up.
Oh FFS!

I'm still trying to get ma head around huntsmen.......now this??!!! :scared:

D D
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Oh FFS!

D D
Same here, Wish I had never read this thread
I had a birds nest in my gable which resulted in red poultry mites trying to party on us.
White tails biting in the night, Nasty I say :scared:
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Oh FFS!

D D

Errr yes sorry about this one ladies, Maybe it's just my own fear, In all honesty though most Aussies would only put these whitetails, on the same annoyance level as wasps. Thats because Wasps are seen here as an introduced pest.

Wasps are also a fairly recent arrival in Aussie, say in the Last 15 years or so. Because we spend so much time outside here, Wasps are fairly easy to encounter, there are plenty of horror stories here, of wasps getting into soft drink cans, and causing all sorts of problems for people.

Just trying to put some perspective on this issue for you both.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:52 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Errr yes sorry about this one ladies, Maybe it's just my own fear, In all honesty though most Aussies would only put these whitetails, on the same annoyance level as wasps. Thats because Wasps are seen here as an introduced pest.

Wasps are also a fairly recent arrival in Aussie, say in the Last 15 years or so. Because we spend so much time outside here, Wasps are fairly easy to encounter, there are plenty of horror stories here, of wasps getting into soft drink cans, and causing all sorts of problems for people.

Just trying to put some perspective on this issue for you both.
LOL! No worries, thanks for giving us the info. Gotta face up to it and get on with it and you just told it as it is. Us who are still stuck over here need all the info we can get, warts 'un all!

D D
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:54 am
Loving Brisbane !!

Southgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud of

That's what I was thinking. Are you as likely to be bitten by a spider as stung by a wasp ?? If so, it's not much to worry about.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:58 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh FFS!

D D
PMSL deep breaths and remember Freda
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:03 am

Everything bites that's the problem here the mozzies, the spiders, the snakes and the rest sting instead so can't win.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:29 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
I don't want to worry anyone reading this but I have a friend back in England that e mailed me back in October last year. This lady is as trustworthy as anything and not one to make stories up, me neither!. She has a cousin in Perth and her husband died from a white tail spider bite.

This bloke was 32 years old and the couple went to bed at night, in the morning the wife woke up to find here husband choked on his own vomit.

After the ambulance came and all attempts to revive him failed it was noticed that he had the puncture wound of a white tail and the proof of the bite was the dead white tail in the bed.

The coroners report did place the cause of death to the spider bite and ascertained that he had a severe reaction to this bite.

When I was told this I was a bit sceptical as all my rellies here told me that white tail spiders were not deadly. But it is a fact that this guy died from this spider bite and who knows what reaction some peoples bodies have with certain bites.

Pretty grim if you ask me.
No one has dies from a spider bite in OZ since 1980, so l don't know if your friends story is correct.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The following article may be of some help.

An Audit on Fatalities caused by venomous bites in Australia. You are already living with the second highest fatality causing creatures, in Bees and Wasps, which are just behind snakes in the Fatality stakes.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...828435571.html
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been bitten by a Whitetail....for first 2 days it looked like a bad mossie bite..then I got a big blister, my leg swelled up and it was really painful and hot. That was when I went to the hospital for treatment (strong antibiotics). I was told to keep my eye on it and to go back if it got worse (which it didn't....but it did take ages to heal. It hasn't left a scar luckily.

What I did find is that for months after, things like cuts took a lot longer to heal than normal. And apparently, this can happen.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:01 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
I believe Red Backs must eat light bulbs as I keep finding them in the damm things.
Yep, it's a pretty common place to find them. They like the heat there during Winter.

Paul.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Let's talk whitetails - let's NOT

Not been on here for ages and first day of looking there is another thread about blinking SPIDERS!!!

Like someone else said, I'm trying to get over me fear of HUNTSMAN (dare I say, been here 15 months and not seen one yet) and now I have something else to think about - knew I shouldn't have read this thread - silly, silly me - slap on the wrist!!!

In all seriousness, there are a lot of 'nasty' creatures here in OZ - I, like most other people, are aware of most of them. For us our new way of life/change of life style makes up for it - you just have to hope you dont become one of the statistics!! Cant look at all the negatives wherever you live - you have to go with the positives which in most cases outweigh the negatives.

Whilst typing this I'm looking out the window at a beautiful sunny day - with the rain forest in full view, beautiful scenery all round me, just awesome

Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:24 pm

Just had the rental inspection and told her about the red backs in the lights so hopefully they are history. As she said better get the place sprayed... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.