Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's talk whitetails...

Let's talk whitetails...

Old Feb 18th 2006, 12:49 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Let's talk whitetails...

What experiences do people here have with whitetails? Anyone an *expert*?

To date, our most notable spider experience has been with a visiting redback on our patio - not a problem. He was *out there*, not *in here*. This morning I went to start the dishes and there, beside my rubber gloves, was a rather large whitetail - about 20mm long in body. Not doing anything - just sitting there. Dh despatched him to the garden in the dustpan and that was that. Dd has recently found another, smaller specimen, about 12mm, sitting on the edge of the bath. That one has met its maker, I'm afraid.

Is there a *season* for whitetails? I know back in the UK, many spiders seemed to come inside when there was rain around. Do whitetails do something similar? These are the first we've seen - and I'd mind them a lot less if they stayed outside. I'm concerned for our dd - at 8 she's not always on the ball and might not notice them, and I'm convinced they'll make a home in her rather muddly bedroom ( ). I'm also concerned about our pets - our one cat in particular loves pulling the legs off spiders.... :scared:

It doesn't help that I've spoken to two people this week who have been scarred for life - literally - from whitetail bites...

What can anyone tell me about these unwelcome visitors?

Sue
Old Feb 18th 2006, 12:51 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk whitetails...

We had one in a bit back but he was only little. I put him out in the garden, though I was told you should kill ALL critters that wander into your house.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

To date, our most notable spider experience has been with a visiting redback on our patio - not a problem. He was *out there*, not *in here*. This morning I went to start the dishes and there, beside my rubber gloves, was a rather large whitetail - about 20mm long in body. Not doing anything - just sitting there. Dh despatched him to the garden in the dustpan and that was that. Dd has recently found another, smaller specimen, about 12mm, sitting on the edge of the bath. That one has met its maker, I'm afraid.

Is there a *season* for whitetails? I know back in the UK, many spiders seemed to come inside when there was rain around. Do whitetails do something similar? These are the first we've seen - and I'd mind them a lot less if they stayed outside. I'm concerned for our dd - at 8 she's not always on the ball and might not notice them, and I'm convinced they'll make a home in her rather muddly bedroom ( ). I'm also concerned about our pets - our one cat in particular loves pulling the legs off spiders.... :scared:

It doesn't help that I've spoken to two people this week who have been scarred for life - literally - from whitetail bites...

Sue
Kill them, they do give a nasty bite, a friend of ours has a horrible scar on her leg, that was a whitetail. give the house a good spray, round windows doors everywhere.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:05 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue
Heres some info on them Sue, they like cool areas so may wander inside the house more in summer :

http://www.termite.com/spiders/White-Tail-Spider.shtml

for all other spider info click here:

http://www.termite.com.au/spider-ide...n-control.html

Last edited by possoms; Feb 18th 2006 at 2:08 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:25 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

It is said they like cool places but we have had them in our loft space! Our electrician went up there a few weeks ago and said we had loads of whitetails and red backs We stuck up a few bombs and they have all gone now (or so he says, I ain't going to check!) Havn't seen any in the house though, thank god!

Tracey
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:34 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

In my many years of moving people, i have noticed White tip[tail]spiders like to nest[live] under Sofa beds [day-nite lounge] the mechanism seems to offer a safe haven,when not used a lot.
We pulled the cushions off a sofa once and found a nest of them ,hundreds of tiny spiders, what made it worse was the kids had been sitting on it for most of the morning......................... mm
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmmmm………..yes Whitetails an unwanted Oz export into NZ, can give a nasty nip which is more dirty than toxic. Apparently said arachnids like to prey on other spiders, they literally just wait for a passing spider and then pounce and munch it. Consequently one can tell when there are Whitetails in the house as there is a decease or absence of other spiders and spider webs.

They look slightly ugly, I’ve seen several in our house, we have a catch and release program with a cull of any insect only if necessary, although I must admit the fly spray has been working overtime this summer.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:42 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

When we arrived in Sydney, we found a house that had been empty for around 6 months. We moved in and loved it.....but so had several other guests.

In the first week, we found 20 (yes two zero) redbacks (in the shed, between the bricks round the pool, in potted plants), 2 whitetails in the airing cupboard, a nest of bulldog ants near the pool and countless cockies. With 2 inquistive kids, this was asking for trouble. We treated the entire back yard and pool area with this stuff from the local Woolies: (you can get pro packs too)

http://www.mortein.com.au/product_spid.html

Fantastic stuff........we collected up all their little twitching carcasses and had a party.

Not seen anything since. Probably time to re-do it as it lasts about 3 months.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Sue

I don't want to worry anyone reading this but I have a friend back in England that e mailed me back in October last year. This lady is as trustworthy as anything and not one to make stories up, me neither!. She has a cousin in Perth and her husband died from a white tail spider bite.

This bloke was 32 years old and the couple went to bed at night, in the morning the wife woke up to find here husband choked on his own vomit.

After the ambulance came and all attempts to revive him failed it was noticed that he had the puncture wound of a white tail and the proof of the bite was the dead white tail in the bed.

The coroners report did place the cause of death to the spider bite and ascertained that he had a severe reaction to this bite.

When I was told this I was a bit sceptical as all my rellies here told me that white tail spiders were not deadly. But it is a fact that this guy died from this spider bite and who knows what reaction some peoples bodies have with certain bites.

Pretty grim if you ask me.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:22 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Have seen very nasty bite recently that was supposed to be from white tail i'd avoid them at all costs.

As for red backs I kill them on site just in case they make some more... :scared: .
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Roving Angle is an unknown quantity at this point

I live on the North Island, NZ and I'm absolutlely bloody inundated with these things.

My wife's taken a bite on her foot, which caused some swelling (several days) and discolouration, but nothing too serious. This happened in bed, while we slept as they tend to go for linen in my experience. I can honestly say I've been killing them at a rate of two or three a week for a few months now, and these will be the tip of the iceberg as regards their numbers.

They don't like sunlight and will seek shade in houses or at the base of plants during bright days. There is hope though (!), they're not a "guaranteed bite". I've had a couple run over my hands and just jump off whilst gardening (got to admit, I did a bit of jumping too...).

What works for us is, little ones never pile their clothes on the floor even for a short time, care is taken when drawing curtains (that's a big one) and finally kill every type of spider you see, every time. We've had less since doing this and it makes sense, take their food away and they'll go somewhere else. Ethics? Bah, no chance, matey!

What do red-backs eat, out of interest?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roving Angle
I live on the North Island, NZ and I'm absolutlely bloody inundated with these things.

My wife's taken a bite on her foot, which caused some swelling (several days) and discolouration, but nothing too serious. This happened in bed, while we slept as they tend to go for linen in my experience. I can honestly say I've been killing them at a rate of two or three a week for a few months now, and these will be the tip of the iceberg as regards their numbers.

They don't like sunlight and will seek shade in houses or at the base of plants during bright days. There is hope though (!), they're not a "guaranteed bite". I've had a couple run over my hands and just jump off whilst gardening (got to admit, I did a bit of jumping too...).

What works for us is, little ones never pile their clothes on the floor even for a short time, care is taken when drawing curtains (that's a big one) and finally kill every type of spider you see, every time. We've had less since doing this and it makes sense, take their food away and they'll go somewhere else. Ethics? Bah, no chance, matey!

What do red-backs eat, out of interest?
What do red backs eat! CHILDREN
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Roving Angle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cranni
What do red backs eat! CHILDREN

Native children, or just us tasty Poms?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Have seen very nasty bite recently that was supposed to be from white tail i'd avoid them at all costs.

As for red backs I kill them on site just in case they make some more... :scared: .

I'd say whitetails are the single biggest threat in Australia, very unpredictable in where you will find them, they seem to love bedding as well. Some people can be bitten by them with very little symptoms, right through to being killed. One side effect is necrotosing arachnadism, or "dying/rotting flesh". It's about the only critter here, that I am genuinely fearful of. Most people get bitten in their sleep by these things, re the bedding habitat. It's also the most likely spider bite that people will recieve.

I think ??? I've been bitten by one of these things 3 times in my time here in Aussie. With just localised sore irritation to show for it

One of my daughters teenage freinds got bitten in the mouth by one as she lay asleep here in our house, and had to go to hospital, because her throat swelled up.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

We've had loads of whitetails in our place - luckily though they seem to love the (rarely used) front room and always appear to be wondering around on the ceiling. They all get killed or get taken to start a new life far far away.

We've only really got nasty after we founmd one climbing up the wall next to our 3 month old's cot - oh boy, that one met a nasty bitter end!!!!

I've had more of a fright from the 2 huntsmen I've seen whilst living in Melbourne - one of the buggers was hiding in our wheelie bin - and she was a BIG BIG girl!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.