Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:30 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

Ok... so I've seen a lot of discussion on haggling over prices. So I thought maybe we could compile a list of things you can haggle over, and things you can't. Please add to the list.

Also if you can estimate what % you knocked off, and the store I'm sure everyone would like to know.

I will add to this list as people post:

To Haggle
Electronics
Furniture
Contract work (renovations, pools, etc)
Vehicles
Hotel accommodation
Rentals
Foreign exchange transactions

Not to Haggle
Certain take out food (McDonalds, etc)
Rego
Private health care
Bus fare
Grocery shopping

Last edited by comet555; Dec 19th 2006 at 12:19 am.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

I've been trying to Haggle over a Kawasaki Z1000 Eddie Lawson Replica and can't budge him on price
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:05 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Ok... so I've seen a lot of discussion on haggling over prices. So I thought maybe we could compile a list of things you can haggle over, and things you can't. Please add to the list.

I'm not there yet so I can't be of much help but here's what I know so far:

To Haggle
Electronics
Furniture

Not to Haggle
Take out food
Definaltly cars also we got some money off our body boards
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone haggles over pizza - that's take out

We haggled over the price of the swimming pool - oh and landscaping supplies
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:56 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Someone haggles over pizza - that's take out

We haggled over the price of the swimming pool - oh and landscaping supplies
Yah, I saw the pizza discussion. But is it really that common place?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, I saw the pizza discussion. But is it really that common place?
Not sure, never tried it myself. Quite often forget about haggling but we've not bought a great amount since being here.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:07 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... so I've seen a lot of discussion on haggling over prices. So I thought maybe we could compile a list of things you can haggle over, and things you can't. Please add to the list. Also if you can estimate what % you knocked off that would be really helpful for everyone.

I'm not there yet so I can't be of much help but here's what I know so far:

To Haggle
Electronics
Furniture
Contract work (renovations, pools, etc)

Not to Haggle
Certain take out food (McDonalds, etc)
My daughter works in Maccers and some people do haggle!
Eg, (made up figures) hamburger is $2.00, cheeseburger is $2.50
Quarter pounder $4.50 (comes with cheese)
Ask for QP w/out cheese, they still charge you $4.50
You can ask them to charge you $4.00 and they have to.

Weird the way we dont mind paying for extra but dont object when we ask for reduction and still pay the full price!

Andrew
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by andrew63
My daughter works in Maccers and some people do haggle!
Eg, (made up figures) hamburger is $2.00, cheeseburger is $2.50
Quarter pounder $4.50 (comes with cheese)
Ask for QP w/out cheese, they still charge you $4.50
You can ask them to charge you $4.00 and they have to.

Weird the way we dont mind paying for extra but dont object when we ask for reduction and still pay the full price!

Andrew
Never would have occured to me either. Although in Canada I'm not used to doing any haggling at all (except for houses, vehicles, and some major purchases).
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:12 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Can:

Hotel accommodation
Rentals

Can't:

Rego
Private health care
Bus fare
Grocery shopping
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I haggle over Chief's weekly allowance.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by chels
Can:

Hotel accommodation
Rentals

Can't:

Rego
Private health care
Bus fare
Grocery shopping
Just out of curiousity how would you haggle over hotels and rentals? Would you bring in an ad for another hotel or rental place, or would you just say "can you give me this for $100 instead of $130?"
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I haggle over Chief's weekly allowance.

I bet she wins though
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:35 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiousity how would you haggle over hotels and rentals? Would you bring in an ad for another hotel or rental place, or would you just say "can you give me this for $100 instead of $130?"

Hotel - they quote you a price, you say 'I was hoping to spend only XX', if they want your business they'll do you a deal. This works closer to the time you want to stay, but IMO hotels have an advertised rate and then a rate they're prepared to fill the room at.

Rentals - this one is dependent on the vacancy rate, but on our first unit we applied for the unit on the basis of a lower rent that what it was advertised, and got the tenancy.

If you don't ask, you don't get - it's worth risking a bit of embarrasment
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:35 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a lot of hotels for business and haggle.
I look up the rates on wotif and then call the hotel and ask them to do better. Normally, I get free breakfasts thrown in!

Andrew
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:46 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
I use a lot of hotels for business and haggle.
I look up the rates on wotif and then call the hotel and ask them to do better. Normally, I get free breakfasts thrown in!

Andrew
Judging by the number of hotels on wotif.com, it's pretty common to offer reduced rates.

A couple of years ago I rented a 3 bed detached cottage in Yarralumla in Canberra (nice area) for $300 a week - it was advertised at $350. That was lucky though, the vacancy rate right now is 1%.

On the downside, I spent $1700 on a new laptop and some accessories at Harris Technology in North Sydney, and when I asked the manager if there was any chance of a discount or freebie he looked at me like I'd just spat on him. His loss. I know where I won't be going when I need some new stuff...

Big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.