Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's have (another) Top Tips Thread

Let's have (another) Top Tips Thread

Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's have (another) Top Tips Thread

Originally Posted by bondipom
Anyway I am off to the garry glitter.
Or the ronson lighter for a sherman tank.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:07 am
Go Banana's !!

Talking Re: Let's have (another) Top Tips Thread

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
X-Files fans. Create the effect of being abducted by aliens by drinking two bottles of vodka. You'll invariably wake up in a strange place the following morning, having had your memory mysteriously 'erased'.

Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate. eg Mr. KVL 741Y,

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Avoid jet lag by simply taking an earlier flight, thus arriving fully refreshed and on time.

Pass yourself off as Welsh by putting coal dust behind your fingernails and talking gibberish all the time, stopping occasionally to sing loudly, or set fire to someone else's house.

Putting just the right amount of gin in your goldfish bowl makes the fishes' eyes bulge and cause them to swim in an amusing manner.

Save time when crossing a one-way street by only looking in the direction of oncoming traffic.

I thankyou
Spot the Viz reader!!!

To quote another two I remember:

Stop your neighbours from visiting by drilling holes in your skirting boards and sprinkling raisins on the floor. They will be convinced you have a rodent infestation and stay away.

Stop your budgie from flying out of it's cage, when cleaning it, by nailing it's feet to the perch (sick)

I know this was supposed to be a top tips thread on living in Oz, but I couln't resist. I loved Viz!

Jill

Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
I loved Viz!
It's still going, not as funny as it used to be but still good.

Back to Oz:

Start watching AFL & rugby league on Sky, so you can get used to watching crap sports.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:19 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
In preparation for coming to Aus, all women have to take up Crochet and needlework as a hobby and take a great interest in tupperware parties. Is there a great obsession with coming old before your time as well as looking old? To look old before your time just sit out in the sun to get the "leathered look"!! (you have to put effort in as it could take a while) :scared:
That's what happens when you choose to live in Sydney!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:19 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
if you asked me for sangers I would give you sandwiches! Bangers & snags I knew, but not sangers.
Agreed, MrsD ... or even snorkers, snarks and snoggages (for sausages)!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:08 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayr
Or better:

"Hello I'm looking for Nads hair removal. Can you help?"
Sainburys in the uk..... or kmart n big w in (capalaba) in brizzie ive seen it.....half the price ov uk too!

boomie
x
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:12 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bondipom
Not sure where rhyming slang originated but there is some commonality to cockney rhyming slang. Apple and pears is a classic example. Anyway I am off to the garry glitter.

hope ya enjoyed ya Ertha kitt!

xx
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:19 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Agreed, MrsD ... or even snorkers, snarks and snoggages (for sausages)!

Maybe its a Qld thing .

Hold on - I thought snorkers were something completely different :scared:

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 21st 2005 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:54 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Sneaky bugger Dagboy!
Stealing my old signature! Haven't had that one for a long time, but it's still very good.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:03 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Given Aus is cold in winter, and the expense of carpeting....it would be prudent to do the following:

* Get a matching pair of square carpet tiles and glue to the bottom of your thongs [AKA flip flops].

Hey presto;
you have carpet in winter!!!

Simply tear off the carpet squares in summer and its cooler!!!

Please note: You can do this with various colours to mix and match with bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms etc

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 4:29 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

If you're looking to make a fortune in Oz,why not invest in a brake light company.
Whilst on your way to the school/shopping mall/fast food industrial estate,waiting (and waiting) at traffic lights,step out of your 4x4 and see how many drivers sit with their foot on the brake.
WHY ?
Yer gonna be there for at least 5 minutes,watching the totally empty opposite lanes,which look like John Howards just announced that there's free shoes for kids in the next town.
Put your hand brake on for God's sake.
On another note,don't bother investing in an indicator light company,as they are very seldom used.The term "mirror/signal/manouvre doesn't exist in the local dialect.
Just "brake for no reason,then turn into your drive or street with total disregard to all around".

BB-OMO user and proud
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 12:05 pm
Dismembered Bat

Originally Posted by baldbutts
The term "mirror/signal/manouvre doesn't exist in the local dialect.
Wha' tha **** is tha?!

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:30 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the OMO - thought this may amuse you all.

Wives of the Black Watch Regiment used to buy OMO washing powder, they didn't always want to use for their washing but to put on window sills. Why? Well when their husbands used to go on exercise it was to let their boyfriends know the coast was clear. OMO = Old Man Out!!

This makes me giggle every time I see a pack. Sister in law uses it and she wondered why I was giggling to myself when we were doing the shopping.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's have (another) Top Tips Thread

Oh my golly gosh.......I've got some more karma, makes a total of 3 lots!

Many thanks to Cresta57, you've made my day!

Enjoy these!

When crossing a one-way street always look in BOTH directions in case a large blue furniture removal lorry is reversing the wrong way up the road. -

Thicken up runny low-fat yoghurt by stirring in a spoonful of lard.

Anorexics. When your knees become fatter than your legs, start eating cakes again.

A next door neighbour's car aerial, carefully folded, makes an ideal coat hanger in an emergency.

Hijackers. Avoid a long stressful siege and the risk of arrest, imprisonment or death by simply making sure you book a flight to your intended destination in the first place.

Deter goldfish from having sex by throwing a small bucket of air over any that you catch in the act.

I thankyou