Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's be friends?

Let's be friends?

Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough
Default Let's be friends?

Is it true that Australians don't like the English?

I am hoping to emmigrate with my 17 year old son and I am worried that he may meet with bad feeling from Australians?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's be friends?

Urban myth. He'll be fine. If he has friends here he will there. Some Aussies probably do hate the Brits and vise versa. There will always be numpties out there.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:26 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

We heard a lot of that sort of thing before we came as well. So far....19mths on I can honestly say we haven't come across it at all. Nothing but warm and friendly people who are keen to help you settle into their country - and often genuinely thrilled that you would choose to come and live here.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:48 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

There's so many of us here that Australians really don't batter an eyelid at hearing a British accent. They really couldn't care.

Paul.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

they do like to take the mickey whenever they can but it is usually meant teasingly.

Sport in particular brings out the rivalry, but when England is doing well (oh so rarely) it is great to be able to have a go back.

Most of our mates here class themselves as Aussies- big mix of different nationalities (Italians, Spanish, Greek, Canadian, Burmese etc) who have been here since they were knee high to a grasshopper and all are very warm and welcoming.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Can only agree with what others have already said

Have been here nearly a year and can honestly say, no probs so far. I work with the public, there have been a few say 'oh you're a pom' with nasty looks , but quite honestly, most that I meet have connections with the UK, ie their parents, grandparents originate from the UK, or they have visitied, or been students/worked there for a while - its amazing how many Australians know the UK - some better than me

Our 17yr old son is going to our local T.A.F.E. college and has been fine - all the OZ students are friendly - one even picks him up and drops him back home!

So dont worry
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

We ve found the australians extremely friendly,although i think it has lot to do with your attitude to them
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
We ve found the australians extremely friendly,although i think it has lot to do with your attitude to them
Hi scissors

Yes, I agree with that - was gonna put it in my post actually but forgot!

Your attitude to them does make a difference - if an ozzie does get a bit 'sarcastic' just try and let it go over your head, do not take it to heart, laugh it off (if you cant do that, just punch em in the face, works for me) he he!!!

Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hey....... i see your on my wavelength
Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi scissors

Yes, I agree with that - was gonna put it in my post actually but forgot!

Your attitude to them does make a difference - if an ozzie does get a bit 'sarcastic' just try and let it go over your head, do not take it to heart, laugh it off (if you cant do that, just punch em in the face, works for me) he he!!!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbour threw us a street party when we moved in, she is Australian and knew we was British things went well until another neighbour came over and started ranting about migrants taking all the jobs and benefits blah blah blah. I was shocked at first because I had never received any racism as an adult. Well she is really in the minority and just a sad case. She is a stay at home lazy ( no kids) and victimizes all people that are not locals. She wont even look at us and she swears whenever any kid goes near her. I feel very sorry for her because she seems so lonely.
Please don't worry about being a Pom! you are coming to a country that excepts all with open arms (except the Aboriginals for some reason)
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

well theres always the exception no matter where you live

what a fab idea throughing you a party our neighbour one side invited us over for some beers the first day we moved in,and the other side is a fisherman and he bought us round some fish,which i though wasa very neighbourly,i might take them round some baking some time QUOTE=woodyinoz]Our neighbour threw us a street party when we moved in, she is Australian and knew we was British things went well until another neighbour came over and started ranting about migrants taking all the jobs and benefits blah blah blah. I was shocked at first because I had never received any racism as an adult. Well she is really in the minority and just a sad case. She is a stay at home lazy ( no kids) and victimizes all people that are not locals. She wont even look at us and she swears whenever any kid goes near her. I feel very sorry for her because she seems so lonely.
Please don't worry about being a Pom! you are coming to a country that excepts all with open arms (except the Aboriginals for some reason) [/QUOTE]
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:11 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by November11
Is it true that Australians don't like the English?

I am hoping to emmigrate with my 17 year old son and I am worried that he may meet with bad feeling from Australians?
HI,

My 17 year old daughter has no complaints about her friends here in Australia, she's looking forward to finishing year 12 and going to TAFE (a kind of college) she thinks they are a friendly bunch over here. So don't worry I am sure your son will make heaps of friends.

I have never felt Australians don't like the English, it's a myth really, but I suppose it just depends who you meet.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

hey....... i see your on my wavelength

Sure are m8 Its just I'm a lot more shy than you
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Milo
HI,

My 17 year old daughter has no complaints about her friends here in Australia, she's looking forward to finishing year 12 and going to TAFE (a kind of college) she thinks they are a friendly bunch over here. So don't worry I am sure your son will make heaps of friends.

I have never felt Australians don't like the English, it's a myth really, but I suppose it just depends who you meet.
I forgot to mention that they love the accent... no troubles getting a date
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

awwww.... no need to be shy on here,everyone just wants some friendly advice,ive taken alot over the past year now im glad to give some back
how long have you been here?

tracey
Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Sure are m8 Its just I'm a lot more shy than you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.