Let us hope ...

Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:30 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Let us hope ...

The $1 billion is in addition to existing Australian aid to Indonesia, taking the total contribution to $1.8 billion.

Dr Yudhoyono yesterday promised he would directly control the distribution of aid funds inside and outside Indonesia in order to curb any "deviation" or corrupt leakage of funds away from humanitarian assistance and reconstruction.

Free fares for volunteers
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:55 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let us hope ...

Originally Posted by Quinkana
The $1 billion is in addition to existing Australian aid to Indonesia, taking the total contribution to $1.8 billion.

Dr Yudhoyono yesterday promised he would directly control the distribution of aid funds inside and outside Indonesia in order to curb any "deviation" or corrupt leakage of funds away from humanitarian assistance and reconstruction.

Free fares for volunteers
Yup! And how much have the oil-rich Arab nations contributed to the rehabilitation of their co-religionistd?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 3:43 am
Banned

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono: A biography

Human rights group says Indonesian military incompetent, abusive. Jakata Post, January 06, 2005

Handwringing for Handrubbing:

It could backfire if, for example, foreign donors publicly insisted they had the right to deliver aid to the Free Aceh Movement. Once the Indonesian Military feels it has been sidelined in the humanitarian operation in Aceh -- and that sentiment is currently growing -- it will become a major obstacle to the reconstruction of Aceh. Like it or not, the TNI has the best access to the province.

Also, we should not forget the wise saying, "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

Will the world deliver on its promises to Aceh?

Last edited by Quinkana; Jan 6th 2005 at 4:08 am.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Yup! And how much have the oil-rich Arab nations contributed to the rehabilitation of their co-religionistd?
These figures are from a Malaysian website forum

Aid Pledges by Muslim Governments

Country Amount ($AUS)
1. Qatar $32.2m
2. UAE $25.68m
3. Kuwait $12.9m
4. Saudi Arabia $12.9m
5. Bahrain $2.6m
6. Libya $2.6m
7. Turkey $1.6m
8. Brunei $ 0 m
9. Iran $ 0 m
TOTAL = $90.48m
SOURCE: REUTERS

But Saudi has very recently increased its figure to A$30M

It is difficult to judge on initial pledges, as it may all differ at the end of the day. eg: Kuwait initially pledged US$1 million on Dec 26

Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:23 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Is there a race to see who gives more and who gives less, i thought charity is to give and be accepted.

Actually i wonder how much of these billions ( in overal ) will reach the people of the affected areas,my view about charities is changing i still do my bit to NSPCC every month via DD but nothing seems to be improving generally amongts charities it makes me wonder sometimes where the money goes
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Is there a race to see who gives more and who gives less, i thought charity is to give and be accepted.

Actually i wonder how much of these billions ( in overal ) will reach the people of the affected areas,my view about charities is changing i still do my bit to NSPCC every month via DD but nothing seems to be improving generally amongts charities it makes me wonder sometimes where the money goes
I think that private (personal) giving should be totally anonymous (the old adage of not letting your right hand know what your left hand is doing), but we should call governments and larger organisations accountable, as that is public money.
On a sad note, your monthly donation to the NSPCC will probably be needed even more, since I guess that people will be giving less to other charities in the immediate future, having given more to the tsunami appeal.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:46 am
ABCDiamond

Unfortunately this report from Reuters will not make you feel any better.
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - International donors who have pledged some $2 billion (1.05 billion pounds) in disaster aid after last week's Indian Ocean tsunami will probably fail to deliver all they have promised, says U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

"If we go by past history, yes, I do have concern ... we've got over $2 billion but it is quite likely that at the end of the day we will not receive all of it," Annan told a news conference.

He cited shortfalls in aid promised after an earthquake in Bam, Iran, in 2003. Iranian President Mohammed Khatami has been reported as saying only a small fraction of the pledged international aid has been received

Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, they said that the aid from the goverment was to help rebuild the infrastructure & was for the government of Indonesia to use for things like roads etc.

The private individuals donations are almost always to charities like Red Cross (which is where we gave our money)/Unicef/Oxfam/Care etc which whilst arent publicly accountable as such, do get audited. Red Cross pledges that no more than 10% of total donations are ever used on administration etc, I believe Oxfams figures are 5-10%.

Agreed, its the people/govts that say they will donate & then dont that are the depressing statistic.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:12 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

A bit worrying indeed ABC, thanks for the link.

---

FWIW, they said that the aid from the goverment was to help rebuild the infrastructure & was for the government of Indonesia to use for things like roads etc.
Can someone please tell me this contribution, is it for Indonesia only?

Regards,
Pedro
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:29 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

A bit worrying indeed ABC, thanks for the link.

---

Can someone please tell me this contribution, is it for Indonesia only?

Regards,
Pedro

Pedro, from what they said, yes, that amount is for Indonesia alone, I believe that the Australian goverment (along with the state governments) has pledged other money for the general aid effort. The aid money for the Indonesian govt is $500m in direct grants for things like roads, hospitals & schools & the other $500m in the form of things like 40 year interest free loans. Also heard that apparently India & Thailand have both refused foreign aid offered by other countries Govts. Not humanitarian aid, but Govt aid.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:35 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

One man put them all to shame

From SMH

Seven-time world Formula One champion Michael Schumacher has made the biggest donation by an individual so far offering $US10million ($12.87 million).
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:47 am
Banned

I say the Australian government aid is to buy influence with the new Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and to use Australian taxpayers money to make the Liberal Party look good.

I'll only be convinced otherwise by a highly detailed and audited set of accounts of actual expenditure in Indonesia reconciled physically with actual construction and aid outcomes.

This could help break the cycle of corruption which has caused conflict im Timor and Aceh and kept the Indonesian people in poverty and the Oligarchs in luxury. I don not hold much hope:

"Revolution is never done,
It is just another form of gun,
To do again what they have done,
To our brothers' youngest son."

Edit: here is why I am pessimistic:

"Mr Howard stressed the ultimate responsibility for how the money was spent lay with Indonesia, and Australia would not dictate the terms of the donation."

So something for President Yudhoyono to dole out to strengthen his influence - so it's all down to his character.

Last edited by Quinkana; Jan 6th 2005 at 10:37 am.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
One man put them all to shame

From SMH

Seven-time world Formula One champion Michael Schumacher has made the biggest donation by an individual so far offering $US10million ($12.87 million).

Nice one and God bless him,

good to see the 'real' wealthy doing something decent with their 'public earnt' wonga -

I wonder about the likes of David Beckham though and the other pampered pussycats of the english premiership...no real word from their camp yet..last i heard was something like: ' lets all donate one weeks worth of wages to the cause...pathetic really, considering what they earn.....
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Nice one and God bless him,

good to see the 'real' wealthy doing something decent with their 'public earnt' wonga -

I wonder about the likes of David Beckham though and the other pampered pussycats of the english premiership...no real word from their camp yet..last i heard was something like: ' lets all donate one weeks worth of wages to the cause...pathetic really, considering what they earn.....
Should they have to donate publicly?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quinkana
I say the Australian government aid is to buy influence with the new Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and to use Australian taxpayers money to make the Liberal Party look good.

I'll only be convinced otherwise by a highly detailed and audited set of accounts of actual expenditure in Indonesia reconciled physically with actual construction and aid outcomes.

This could help break the cycle of corruption which has caused conflict im Timor and Aceh and kept the Indonesian people in poverty and the Oligarchs in luxury. I don not hold much hope:

"Revolution is never done,
It is just another form of gun,
To do again what they have done,
To our brothers' youngest son."

Edit: here is why I am pessimistic:

"Mr Howard stressed the ultimate responsibility for how the money was spent lay with Indonesia, and Australia would not dictate the terms of the donation."

So something for President Yudhoyono to dole out to strengthen his influence - so it's all down to his character.
It is a hard call. Australia could be badly hurt with instability in Indonesia. Bali brought that home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.