Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lest we forget - so how did we remember?

Lest we forget - so how did we remember?

Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lest we forget - so how did we remember?

Brought up in a world where a two minute silence was sacrosant, and having worked where the phones were taken off the hook for 2 minutes at 11am, I was interested to see how the day would be marked here - I can only speak for my own workplace, but phones still rang & people still typed. The tannoy gave out a long spiel beforehand about remembering fallen comrades - but it was a very Aussie-orientated talk - "remember our fellow Australians who died", "so many thousands of Australians died during the wars " - there was no mention at all of any other nation, or of people in general, it was just like the silence was only to commemorate Australians, whereas I was brought up to believe that it was something which knew no boundaries. I expected a slight bias, but this was total exclusion of everyone else! Also - it was only a one-minute silence? Is the UK the only country that recognises the day with two minutes? We discussed it afterwards, and the response I got was "Two minutes? Far too long, we'd get bored"
Strange to see the difference - any one else got comments on the day?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lest we forget - so how did we remember?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Brought up in a world where a two minute silence was sacrosant, and having worked where the phones were taken off the hook for 2 minutes at 11am, I was interested to see how the day would be marked here - I can only speak for my own workplace, but phones still rang & people still typed. The tannoy gave out a long spiel beforehand about remembering fallen comrades - but it was a very Aussie-orientated talk - "remember our fellow Australians who died", "so many thousands of Australians died during the wars " - there was no mention at all of any other nation, or of people in general, it was just like the silence was only to commemorate Australians, whereas I was brought up to believe that it was something which knew no boundaries. I expected a slight bias, but this was total exclusion of everyone else! Also - it was only a one-minute silence? Is the UK the only country that recognises the day with two minutes? We discussed it afterwards, and the response I got was "Two minutes? Far too long, we'd get bored"
Strange to see the difference - any one else got comments on the day?

To be honest I can only ever remember doing a minutes silence. But then We have ANZAC day as well where we have a minutes silence as well. ANZAC day is actually far more 'important' in the Australian culture than Remembrance Day. Not out of disrespect but because this is the day we set saide for commemorating the lives of those who fought in the war. This is definitely Aussie biased... but then that's what the ANZACs were (Australian New Zealand Army Corps). Remembrance day as I remember it (Haven't been there for 6 years now) is a general 'lest we forget all those who fought and died for us.' But in defence, if we Aussies didn't remember the ANZACs no-one else would. It's not very often you see the Australian soldiers in these films and documentaries. I think the Americans and British do quite a lot 'remembrancing' of themselves and their war dead as well. I'm not saying they shouldn't and that the Australians shouldn't remember everyone. I think you'll find they do in schools. But then ANZAC day is so much more significant for Australians. Stating Australian statistics means something to people who can relate to that, whereas stating European/American statistics has little relation to what many people understand.
Hang on till April 25th and see what that's like.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:37 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I remember having the silence in school in the UK (cannot remember whether it was 1 or 2 minutes and to be honest I think that is unimportant).

When I worked for the MoD we had a silence - it was always announced over the tannoy system - and as far as I remember we used to schedule our engine trials so that they were not running on that day. (It is a bit hard to have a minute's silence with a 16 cylinder marine diesel engine at full power in the next room).

In other jobs in the UK I do not remember it being the norm to have the silence. Some places/people did observe it, others did not. In general I always did if I could.

Over here, much the same. I have been in different situations on the day and that tends to dictate what hapens. Quite often over the years I have missed it by being busy with something and then suddenly noticing that it is ten past 11. When that hapens I usualy just have a quiet moment of my own then. I am pretty sure all those who died would care more that their sacrifice is remembered rather than getting hung up on it being remembered at the "right" time.

As for today, since we are based right next to ANZAC square, I popped down and stood in the crowd (and there was one) for the silence and last post.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:57 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Lovely posts from both Ushas and Dagboy.

I'm ashamed to say that at 11:00am today, I was commencing a second interview for a job. In the past, I have always made a point of stopping and casting my mind to our military and its members' families. I guess the time isn't really important, but it did seem odd to have had to miss it. On the way in to my interview, I stopped to buy two poppies (one for my Mum) and to add a donation over and above the poppy price. One of our most worthwhile charities.

I give you a toast to our fallen and returned military and associated personnel AND their long-suffering families.

Lest We Forget.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We had 1 min this morning as always. Cannot ever remember it being 2 mins though I guess it could have been at one time. I don't know whether it's me but every remembrance day for as long as I can remember as soon as that bugle starts playing I have trouble with watery eyes, it's always a very poignant moment for me.
When I served my time it was with an old navy hand and we always stopped for a min at 11 on the dot. I remember looking at him one day his head bowed, tears flowing down his face. He was a hard man and I used to think of the horrors that could reduce a great brute of a bloke to that. As you grow older you see things very differently.
Today is a day for remembering.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

I think that it doesn't matter how, where or for how long but just to pause for a moment or two during our busy hectic lives, to remember those who gave theirs so that we may live ours is the important point.

As a Serviceman myself for the past 20 years I can say that it is appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:28 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
I think that it doesn't matter how, where or for how long but just to pause for a moment or two during our busy hectic lives, to remember those who gave theirs so that we may live ours is the important point.

Good onya, Craig. (I looked for a thumbs up emoticon for here, but couldn't find one! 'Cool' will have to suffice!)
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:52 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

looked all over town for a poppy.....in vain. Passed three tables of people selling various raffles though.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:03 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke

Good onya mate.

Totally agree.

Paul.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:37 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

oops planned to get all staff to remember.....but forgot to remind em
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
To be honest I can only ever remember doing a minutes silence. But then We have ANZAC day as well where we have a minutes silence as well. ANZAC day is actually far more 'important' in the Australian culture than Remembrance Day. Not out of disrespect but because this is the day we set saide for commemorating the lives of those who fought in the war. This is definitely Aussie biased... but then that's what the ANZACs were (Australian New Zealand Army Corps). Remembrance day as I remember it (Haven't been there for 6 years now) is a general 'lest we forget all those who fought and died for us.' But in defence, if we Aussies didn't remember the ANZACs no-one else would. It's not very often you see the Australian soldiers in these films and documentaries. I think the Americans and British do quite a lot 'remembrancing' of themselves and their war dead as well. I'm not saying they shouldn't and that the Australians shouldn't remember everyone. I think you'll find they do in schools. But then ANZAC day is so much more significant for Australians. Stating Australian statistics means something to people who can relate to that, whereas stating European/American statistics has little relation to what many people understand.
Hang on till April 25th and see what that's like.
Last Anzec Day we were in the small town that The Bloke comes from, and we went to the Dawn Service, watching the parade through the streets, and joining in the service itself. It was a very moving occasion, and it was good to see people of all ages there. Thats obviously a day for remembering the ANZAC servicepeople in particular, and its almost a shame that the UK doesn't have a similar day, specific to the country, as well as Remembrance Day.
I do remember on Anzac day feeling that there was a reverence towards the sacrifice of the servicepeople which was far greater than you usually feel int he UK. Probably because the population here is so much smaller, so that a large loss of life becomes so much more personal.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Very freaky but was reading this thread when the radio went silent. For the two minutes I had Yvsie's avatar boogieing away to nothing. Keep still - do you have no consideration
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:23 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
looked all over town for a poppy.....in vain. Passed three tables of people selling various raffles though.
Actually, you saying that reminds me that we never had anyone come to the door this year for us to buy a poppy. Boys bought them from their school.

Hope it's not the PC brigade gone ga-ga again, thought it bad enough that they've stopped the poppy petals falling at the end of the Festival of Remembrance.

D D
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:27 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Very freaky but was reading this thread when the radio went silent. For the two minutes I had Yvsie's avatar boogieing away to nothing. Keep still - do you have no consideration

soooooooooorrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:36 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Actually, you saying that reminds me that we never had anyone come to the door this year for us to buy a poppy. Boys bought them from their school.

Hope it's not the PC brigade gone ga-ga again, thought it bad enough that they've stopped the poppy petals falling at the end of the Festival of Remembrance.

D D
Do you remember a few years back when they had to change the poppy design because "it was too dangerous to use pins"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.