Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Less than half price from the US

Less than half price from the US

Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Less than half price from the US

I've been looking at getting a new Magellan XL GPS to replace one that got stolen. The cheapest I could get it for in Perth is $850. I've just bought one on ebay for $342 delivered to Perth. A saving of over $500 or less than half price. The ebay one also comes with a bonus mounting cradle, carry case and software that are extra in Australia.

It's worth the wait and extra hassle getting this kind of stuff from OS. I find I am buying less and less in shops here and more on the internet, ebay etc. It's no contest.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:37 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Less than half price from the US

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've been looking at getting a new Magellan XL GPS to replace one that got stolen. The cheapest I could get it for in Perth is $850. I've just bought one on ebay for $342 delivered to Perth. A saving of over $500 or less than half price. The ebay one also comes with a bonus mounting cradle, carry case and software that are extra in Australia.

It's worth the wait and extra hassle getting this kind of stuff from OS. I find I am buying less and less in shops here and more on the internet, ebay etc. It's no contest.
Thats a great price for it - although i've never really fathomed out the need for a GPS in little ole Pert...
Is it just a warning system for those dark DLS mornings when you might accidently head East rather than West and end up in Adelaide
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:29 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Cool - but how much do the maps cost? (Presumably purchase from UK came with US maps?)
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:24 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve99
Thats a great price for it - although i've never really fathomed out the need for a GPS in little ole Pert...
...well it can be a very handy gadget to have sitting on your lap if you are launching from little ole Mt Bakewell (just a 2 hour drive from Perth)
http://www.paraglidingpilot.net/form...lt=259&zoom=13

Just one example of a whole bunch of different uses for a GPS if you are into the outdoors life ;-)
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

funny you should bring this up. I'm looking at a Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx, it costs about $500 in OZ and just over $250 in the US from Amazon.
Trouble is Amazon wont send them out of the US :-(
Are we being ripped off or what??
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=913221

I recommend this site.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:48 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
funny you should bring this up. I'm looking at a Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx, it costs about $500 in OZ and just over $250 in the US from Amazon.
Trouble is Amazon wont send them out of the US :-(
Are we being ripped off or what??
Just an aside on this.
Be aware of the Aus custom laws for importing goods by post, especially for anything that exceeds a nominated value of $1,000.
I have seen people stung by this in the past !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ImportingGoodsByPostFAQ.pdf (71.5 KB, 773 views)
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
Just an aside on this.
Be aware of the Aus custom laws for importing goods by post, especially for anything that exceeds a nominated value of $1,000.
I have seen people stung by this in the past !
Yea, it's the luck of the draw - sometimes they catch, you sometimes they don't. I used to import stuff from the states to the UK all the time and I found they'd do me for VAT about 33% of the time.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Don't live in Perth, but I have a program called Tripmaster installed on my Tomtom 710 which saves me having to fill in a log book every time I go on a callout. Tracks the route and the distance for me and I can output it all in a database every month.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just a warning system for those dark DLS mornings when you might accidently head East rather than West and end up in Adelaide
I use it for 4wd'ing. The DiscoverAus Topo software in the Magellan is superb and really useful. Agree that it's not needed for general city driving.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:48 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Don't live in Perth, but I have a program called Tripmaster installed on my Tomtom 710 which saves me having to fill in a log book every time I go on a callout. Tracks the route and the distance for me and I can output it all in a database every month.
Hutch

Is that the software that can get you out of dodgy speed camera tickets? because it shows your actual speed in the log?

Derab
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by derab
Hutch

Is that the software that can get you out of dodgy speed camera tickets? because it shows your actual speed in the log?

Derab
Well, you could certainly present it as evidence, but whether the court would accept it, I don't know. GPS isn't the most reliable system because the military who own it don't want enemy nations using their own technology to fire missiles down Main Street, USA. So unless the logs showed a huge difference in the speed detected and the speed the GPS tracked - I doubt it'd be much use.