Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Legal working age in Oz?

Legal working age in Oz?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Legal working age in Oz?

Anyone know how soon you can start work in Oz?

Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:59 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal working age in Oz?

Originally Posted by Jim2004

Thanks
It may vary from state to state but in WA you cannot work until you are 14 and then only casual/part time as I imagine legally you would still be required to attend school. For fulltime work here it is either 15 or 16 but that situation is being reviewed to try to keep kids at school longer and maybe give them time to consider university, polytechnic (known as TAFE) or trades training.

If you have the right visa and meet minimum age criteria, you can work here.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:01 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
If you have the right paperwork, ie; visa you should be able to look for work upon your arrival. Check out getting a tax file number and medicare card. Tax office and medicare can be found in the white pages/government listings in local phone book.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwichild
It may vary from state to state but in WA you cannot work until you are 14 and then only casual/part time as I imagine legally you would still be required to attend school. For fulltime work here it is either 15 or 16 but that situation is being reviewed to try to keep kids at school longer and maybe give them time to consider university, polytechnic (known as TAFE) or trades training.

If you have the right visa and meet minimum age criteria, you can work here.
Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I wonder if it's 15 or 16 tho ?! I seem to be checking all the wrong websites for this info as I'm coming up with nowt! My daughter who is coming with us will be 15 when we arrive in Oz so just wondered ?!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:24 pm
Banned

I wonder if it's 15 or 16 tho ?! I seem to be checking all the wrong websites for this info as I'm coming up with nowt! My daughter who is coming with us will be 15 when we arrive in Oz so just wondered ?!
It may be either and also may differ from state to state. Aussie youth culture in the main is that the kids tend to stick it out to year 12 often (usually 17or 18 by then), then decide on further studies or try to enter the workforce. Many of them have part time jobs and also are eligible for a govt payment known as "austudy" from some point in secondary school.

A lot of parents I think encourage them to save some of this money, spend some on leisure/entertainment, and use some for their needs, ie, clothes, textbooks, etc

You can find out more by contacing an austudy office or phoneline (under "C" for centrelink in the white pages)
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:28 pm
Banned

here is a link for the queensland govt which is the state the gold coast is in. I'm guessing by your location description that's where you intend moving to.

Just check the links out, they should be helpful

http://www.qld.gov.au/
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwichild
here is a link for the queensland govt which is the state the gold coast is in. I'm guessing by your location description that's where you intend moving to.

Just check the links out, they should be helpful

http://www.qld.gov.au/

Ta very much

Yeah we have good hopes for our daughter as she is doing extremely well at school and hope she furthers herself, but just wondered incase she decides on a different route.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

That's the way mate, get them into some proper intensive labour. Up here in the north of England, I got presented with my first clock card when I was three, and was doing 14 hour shifts down t'pit by the time I was 16.

AND then, I had to be up at 4.30am to light the fire!!!

Such fond memories, (and i'm only 24!)

jamie
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jamiem
That's the way mate, get them into some proper intensive labour. Up here in the north of England, I got presented with my first clock card when I was three, and was doing 14 hour shifts down t'pit by the time I was 16.

jamie
You 'ad a fire mate? You were lucky!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

jamie
Age three for your first clock card!!! ........ maybe a Northern thing but down south I personally was manager by the age of three! ........ took me two years to get there too!

Kids these days just don't know they're born eh!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Age three for your first clock card!!! ........ maybe a Northern thing but down south I personally was manager by the age of three! ........ took me two years to get there too!

Kids these days just don't know they're born eh!
It's us folks north of Watford Gap that are keeping the wheels of industry turning, -thankfully we shunt all the paperwork down south
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
You 'ad a fire mate? You were lucky!!!
Yeh, but times were 'ard, we were rationed to one lump of coal per fortneet. As soon as the chill was taken off, we used to blow the fire out, to preserve fuel.

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

It's us folks north of Watford Gap that are keeping the wheels of industry turning, -thankfully we shunt all the paperwork down south
he he, altho I will refrain from getting into ANY North/South arguement at this stage in my life thank you
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

he he, altho I will refrain from getting into ANY North/South arguement at this stage in my life thank you
Yes, my apologies... ha. I have several good friends from down south and can assure you I am completely unbiased. BUT, being a yorkshireman (nay, half scot, half yorkshireman) there a tiny bit of me that just can't help it!!

To show there's no hard feelings, here's a on me. ;-)
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Yes, my apologies... ha. I have several good friends from down south and can assure you I am completely unbiased. BUT, being a yorkshireman (nay, half scot, half yorkshireman) there a tiny bit of me that just can't help it!!

To show there's no hard feelings, here's a on me. ;-)
I'm an alcoholic, not afraid to admit it, so drink very little. I will accept on this occasion tho, thanks

Yeah many a good friend originated 'up North' and I like you ppl I'm originally from the smog . Moved out to Watford 5 yr ago, and altho I like it here, it's just not far enough, hence Australia!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.