Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Legal situation - other peoples property on your premises

Legal situation - other peoples property on your premises

Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Legal situation - other peoples property on your premises

Any one hazard a guess about this situation.....????

When kevin moved out of her last rental EVERYONES crap got bundled into a rented storage unit in her name....

Because the other ****wits stopped paying their share of the storage rental WE moved evrything OUT of it... Into our garage ... Single handedly... Because Kevins name was on e lease and SHE was responsible for emptying it...

So now we have a garage full of other peoples shit, when we dont have enough room for our own... She has messaged them, facebooked them and phoned them, but 4 weeks + laters NOTHING has been moved....

What do we do?

I've told her she has to put it in writing that they are to remove their property from our premises and give them a reasonable timeframe in which to do this... To send these letters recorded delivery... explaining that anything not removed will be taken to the council tip and dumped.

Now she's "cracking the shits" with ME and being totally inappropriate AGAIN... And I'm TOTALLY over it...

Want the stuff out

Want it removed

Want the fluckwits involved to get off their drug addled arses and DO IT...

Where do I stand?????
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal situation - other peoples property on your premises

Not a legal opinion ... but I think your suggestion is spot on.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

My first reaction is to agree with the recorded delivery letter, warning them that if they don't collect their stuff by (insert date, but don't give them much time), then it will be given to charity, sold off (any prceeds kept by you), put out for council collection, or appearing as a garage sale on gumtree or similar. But then, I don't have any legal training - hopefully someone on here will.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not a legal opinion ... but I think your suggestion is spot on.
Thank you for that..... I'm over 21yr old CHILDREN who think that getting shitty with people via text/phone/facebook is the way to go about anything...

And then take it out on ME!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Thank you for that..... I'm over 21yr old CHILDREN who think that getting shitty with people via text/phone/facebook is the way to go about anything...

And then take it out on ME!
Do you know where they (or their parents) are living now? Take the stuff and dump it on their respective doorsteps
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

new-life is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the same thing happen to me albeit in the uk, i took advice and was told to do basically what you are planning to....but.....i was advised not to sell anything and make any money as this could be construed incorrectly and potentially cause difficulty if they make a formal complaint to the law

good luck
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you start charging them a storage fee?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:17 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the registered letter thing. Tell them that their belongings have been moved from the storage unit to your place and that they have until 15 October (this gives a reasonable length of time for them to get the letter and arrange to pick it up) to remove it or it will be disposed of. I wouldn't say where or how you're going to dispose of it - if it's crap maybe take it to the tip or if it's not then give it to charity.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I'd give them reasonable time to come and pick up there stuff, and advise if it is not removed by that date then storage fees apply.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Any female that goes by the name of Kevin is just wrong. I would go with the recorded delivery letter. 14 days notice is ample but I would state that they are to remove/collect their stuff themselves. Failure to do this will result in their stuff being taken to the tip or somebody paid to remove their stuff and the costs incurred will be sought from them. Might make them get their arse in gear if they think they'll have a debt collector on their arse.

Probably not though. I just don't see why YOU should have to hire a ute or whatever and spend your time and petrol getting rid of it all.

+1 on the don't seel it comments too.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

When kevin moved out of her last rental EVERYONES crap got bundled into a rented storage unit in her name....

Because the other ****wits stopped paying their share of the storage rental WE moved evrything OUT of it... Into our garage ... Single handedly... Because Kevins name was on e lease and SHE was responsible for emptying it...

So now we have a garage full of other peoples shit, when we dont have enough room for our own... She has messaged them, facebooked them and phoned them, but 4 weeks + laters NOTHING has been moved....

What do we do?
burn it
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:40 am
Just Joined

John Albany will become famous soon enoughJohn Albany will become famous soon enough

What do we do?

I've told her she has to put it in writing that they are to remove their property from our premises and give them a reasonable timeframe in which to do this... To send these letters recorded delivery... explaining that anything not removed will be taken to the council tip and dumped.

Now she's "cracking the shits" with ME and being totally inappropriate AGAIN... And I'm TOTALLY over it...

Want the stuff out

Want it removed

Want the fluckwits involved to get off their drug addled arses and DO IT...

Where do I stand?????
The good news is you did not commit a criminal offence in taking stuff that didn't belong to you. But the bad news is you still need to tread very carefully from here on in. Any correspondence must come from you. Not kevin. You took the stuff, it is on your property, you will be dumping it.

First things first - there is a fair chance you have a responsibility to take reasonable care of the stuff while you have it or at the very least you have a responsibility not to be grossly negligent in dealing with it. If there is anything of value - I might just check my insurance policy if I were you. I might also take a few photographs before anything is returned/collected/disposed of in case of dispute later.

To move it on - you need to establish that the property has been abandoned by the owners and that therefore you can treat it as your own. It sounds to me like you are most of the way there but a letter would be excellent evidence. You need to recite the chronology ie on such and such a date I removed your stuff from, I have since stored it free of charge at my home on the following dates kevin asked you to collect the stuff and you didn't. I give you a further opportunity to collect it by. If you do not do so then I will treat the property as abandoned and dispose of it accordingly etc

Since the stuff will have been abandoned, you do not need to account for any proceeds of sale. But neither would you be able to recover the costs of disposal.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by John Albany
The good news is you did not commit a criminal offence in taking stuff that didn't belong to you. But the bad news is you still need to tread very carefully from here on in. Any correspondence must come from you. Not kevin. You took the stuff, it is on your property, you will be dumping it.

First things first - there is a fair chance you have a responsibility to take reasonable care of the stuff while you have it or at the very least you have a responsibility not to be grossly negligent in dealing with it. If there is anything of value - I might just check my insurance policy if I were you. I might also take a few photographs before anything is returned/collected/disposed of in case of dispute later.

To move it on - you need to establish that the property has been abandoned by the owners and that therefore you can treat it as your own. It sounds to me like you are most of the way there but a letter would be excellent evidence. You need to recite the chronology ie on such and such a date I removed your stuff from, I have since stored it free of charge at my home on the following dates kevin asked you to collect the stuff and you didn't. I give you a further opportunity to collect it by. If you do not do so then I will treat the property as abandoned and dispose of it accordingly etc

Since the stuff will have been abandoned, you do not need to account for any proceeds of sale. But neither would you be able to recover the costs of disposal.
Thats great advice thank you..... All I need is for Kevin to give me the details ofnthe fluckwits involved and I'm on to it
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I would go with the registered letter thing. Tell them that their belongings have been moved from the storage unit to your place and that they have until 15 October (this gives a reasonable length of time for them to get the letter and arrange to pick it up) to remove it or it will be disposed of. I wouldn't say where or how you're going to dispose of it - if it's crap maybe take it to the tip or if it's not then give it to charity.
+1