Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Legal qualifications assesment in NSW. Advice needed!

Legal qualifications assesment in NSW. Advice needed!

Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:12 am
Just Joined

cookielover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legal qualifications assesment in NSW. Advice needed!

Hello,

I know there are similar threads on this site but they appear to be closed and I need advice quick!

I did my GDL and LPC in the UK in 2006/7. I came to Sydney in 2007 and promptly got my qualifications assessed under the old LPAB assesment system and did the required module in constitutional law.

However, due to lack of funds/visa issues I was not able to do my PLT and get admitted in NSW. My exemption from a NSW law degree expired in April 2010.

It is now in 2011 that I am finally a permenant resident and have a Sydney firm who wants to put me on their graduate programme post admission in NSW. Basically they want to know how long it will be till I'm admitted.

Can anyone who has a GDL/LPC and who has gone through the new qualifications assessment rules with the NSW LPAB (ie. post April 2008) give me a run down of what I need to do (further exams etc) to get myself ready to take the PLT course and get admitted?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 1:34 am
Just Joined

cookielover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Legal qualifications assesment in NSW. Advice needed!

UPDATE:

I rang the LPAB this morning and it's bad news for those who study the GDL. You have to do 6 more subjects plus any subjects that you scored under 50% in.

I seem to have been very very lucky. Because my original assessment by the LPAB said all I had to do was 1 module in Australian Constitutional Law and I passed that subject within my 2 year limit I already have been deemed to have a qualifying law degree and I can do my PLT right now.

Phew!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal qualifications assesment in NSW. Advice needed!

I have absolutely no idea what all the abbreviations mean, but congratulations on getting your qualifications recognised, not always an easy task here. Good luck with your graduate program.