Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Legal to put lady bike

Legal to put lady bike

Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Legal to put lady bike

Is it legal to put Lady bike (like this) on a rear car bike rack (like this)

My concern is if you put lady bike it will be diagonally placed exposing its rear tyre upwards.. Does Australian road laws allow this? Anyone using such a setup especially on small cars.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal to put lady bike

Originally Posted by mpgrewal

My concern is if you put lady bike it will be diagonally placed exposing its rear tyre upwards.. Does Australian road laws allow this? Anyone using such a setup.

I never do this but have to on this occassion.

English Score 4/10

Must try harder

Carry on.

BTW Bike carriers generally come with a bar that you can fit across Ladies Bicycles between the forks and the Bike seat... which is then used to attach to the carrier. So it doesn't have to be exposed with everything waving around in the air, exposing the Bikes nether regions..
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My concern is if you put lady bike it will be diagonally placed exposing its rear tyre upwards.. Does Australian road laws allow this? Anyone using such a setup especially on small cars.
I love an original post! Looking forward to the response!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I never do this but have to on this occassion.

English Score 4/10

Must try harder

Carry on.

BTW Bike carriers generally come with a bar that you can fit across Ladies Bicycles between the forks and the Bike seat... which is then used to attach to the carrier. So it doesn't have to be exposed with everything waving around in the air, exposing the Bikes nether regions..
It's not to do with bike sex. It's also the caste. Chrome-moly? Aluminium?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I love an original post! Looking forward to the response!
Yehp doesnt look like mpgrewal can raise a bar so as to get it up.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's not to do with bike sex. It's also the caste. Chrome-moly? Aluminium?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Got it in quick mate!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:13 am
ABCDiamond

With bikes on that particular 3 bike rack, it should look like this:

Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:11 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably gonna end up blocking the number plate whether it has a crossbar or a not. In NSW, you can buy a little envelope-sized plate which you're supposed to attach to the rack to maintain visibility. Don't know if that's relevant to you.

Might be useful to use compression straps (not a bungee) to stop the front wheel spinning when in motion. Watch out for rubbing/scratching on the paintwork, too.

Have you considered a towbar-mounted rack? Not had any experience of them myself but people seem to like them.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

All rear racks will cover number plates. But I'm sure these rear racks sell a lot because they cost <$40. Not sure if everyone buys those envelope sized plates
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dropped the idea of rear bike rack as it seems dodgy and may invite penalties

Just read road rules, they say you need to clearly display number plate and even brake lights also.

http://www.engadinecycles.com.au/ind...m-id-1010.html
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:07 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

From what 'loads' (static and alive) I've seen hanging off of cars, utes etc......I wouldn't worry, the more unstable, potentially hazardous the better and more manly you'll be perceived

She'll be right........
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:27 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If the bike will fit on the rack then there's no rule against it.

You just make sure that your number plate and lights are still visible from behind. And that the bikes don't extend outside the allowable limits.

I've got a number plate on my rack. It was something like $25 a few years ago. All my lights are visible so no problems there but the rack came with a rear/brake light fitted.

PS: Just remembered you are legally allowed to remove the number plate from the car and put it on the rack when it's in use and then move it back to the car when it's not in use. But for $25-30, it's not worth the hassle.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Aug 13th 2010 at 1:32 am.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:32 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

PS: Just remembered you are legally allowed to remove the number plate from the car and put it on the rack when it's in use and then move it back to the car when it's not in use. But for $25-30, it's not worth the hassle.
Good to know (will check just in case it's changed) - for $25-30, it's definitely worth the hassle.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:34 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Good to know (will check just in case it's changed) - for $25-30, it's definitely worth the hassle.
I'm a lazy git

PS: I just checked and it's $28.40 now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.