Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

legal advice needed asap on selling my house

legal advice needed asap on selling my house

Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough
Smile legal advice needed asap on selling my house

please can anyone advise me on the following, we are waiting for our visas to come through any day now, but in the meantime we have sold our house and hope to exchange next friday, the problem being we had an extension built two years ago this was all passed with the planning dept, now my buyers are asking for the plans which are stamped( they mean the plans that show the pictures of the house) i have mislaid these and cant get hold of another copy as the planning office wont let me have a copy of theirs, i have give the solicitor the planning certificate that shows its all been passed, i am now being told i may have to take out indenmity insurance but i have no idea what this involves, is it took out against the builder, as if it is may cause another problem as i dont even think he is still trading, any advice on this i would be very grateful to recieve.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: legal advice needed asap on selling my house

Don't know anything about the indemnity insurance but don't see why the Planning Dept won't let you have a copy. Can't believe they are allowed not to if you get my meaning. They would charge. Can your solicitor write to the Planning Officer and explain. They might do more for a solcitor.

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:50 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

We had to take out indenmity insurance when we sold our last house.
The extension we had was below size for planning but should have had regs and as it was already built when we bought we had trouble proving it.
Anyway it just covers the new owner against the extension being illegal, by paying out compensation if it is.
If the extension is over, I think, 3 years the council cannot force demolition anyway.
Your solicitor should sort all this for you, I was under the impression when this happened to us it was routine and no big deal.
I don't think it cost us that much either.

I may have all this wrong but thats how I remember it.

Kevin
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

stressed out will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kevinl
We had to take out indenmity insurance when we sold our last house.
The extension we had was below size for planning but should have had regs and as it was already built when we bought we had trouble proving it.
Anyway it just covers the new owner against the extension being illegal, by paying out compensation if it is.
If the extension is over, I think, 3 years the council cannot force demolition anyway.
Your solicitor should sort all this for you, I was under the impression when this happened to us it was routine and no big deal.
I don't think it cost us that much either.

I may have all this wrong but thats how I remember it.

Kevin

Same as us cost us approx £ 150.oo Chill out nothing to worry about
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

odaat will become famous soon enough

What are you paying your solicitors for ?

The whole process of retrieving documents and smoothing out your sale is in the hands of your solicitor - if you have hired a cheap one, drop him.

Get a city solicitor who has been in business at least a decade to process the deal - no deal, no fee.

At this time in the property market - solicitors are crying out for business. Pick the best or risk the sale falling through.

odaat.
Originally Posted by andyaldy
please can anyone advise me on the following, we are waiting for our visas to come through any day now, but in the meantime we have sold our house and hope to exchange next friday, the problem being we had an extension built two years ago this was all passed with the planning dept, now my buyers are asking for the plans which are stamped( they mean the plans that show the pictures of the house) i have mislaid these and cant get hold of another copy as the planning office wont let me have a copy of theirs, i have give the solicitor the planning certificate that shows its all been passed, i am now being told i may have to take out indenmity insurance but i have no idea what this involves, is it took out against the builder, as if it is may cause another problem as i dont even think he is still trading, any advice on this i would be very grateful to recieve.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:45 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Planning Applications are in the public domain - you have a right to view them. When I bought my business premises we inspected planning apps for adjacent properties.

If you go to your planning office you will be able to requets to see them and take photocopies yourself there and then

Perhaps they are saying they wont provide this service (retrieve + photocopy) on your behalf... but they are obliged to allow access and allow you to take copies.