Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Left hand drive cars: legal to drive in Oz?

Left hand drive cars: legal to drive in Oz?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:57 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Left hand drive cars: legal to drive in Oz?

I'm really into my 80's cars and have a chance to buy a car when we get to Oz that I've been after for a while.

But.... it's left hand drive. Someone on another forum I use has said LHD cars aren't legal to use but I've seen loads of old Yank cars from the 60's and 70's for sale so surely you must able to legally drive them?

The car I'm looking to get was made in 1988 if that helps.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Location: Living in cold, wet Wales. Hoping to move to Adelaide in September 2012
hannybabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Left hand drive cars: legal to drive in Oz?

Originally Posted by dave7370
I'm really into my 80's cars and have a chance to

buy a car when we get to Oz that I've been after for a while.

But.... it's left hand drive. Someone on another forum I use has said LHD cars aren't legal to use but I've seen loads of old Yank cars from the 60's and 70's for sale so surely you must able to legally drive them?

Left Hand Drive Vehicles
Light (not over 4.5 tonnes GVM) Left Hand Drive vehicles are not required to display a "Caution Left Hand Drive Vehicle" sign. Left hand drive vehicles over 4.5 tonnes are required to display a "Left Hand Drive" sign on the rear of the vehicle in words at least 75mm high in a colour that contrasts with the background to the words.

this is from the australian automobile association website
http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm

also try doing a search for the customs- i don't think you are allowed to import to Aus a left-hand drive car now, but if you can find one already there...

good luck!!

Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:41 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I thought LHD cars had to be over 30 years old, for legal driving in Oz.

Ste
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:08 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave7370
I'm really into my 80's cars and have a chance to buy a car when we get to Oz that I've been after for a while.

i have a mate at work who has a few american LHD cars. I'll get the run down on the legal stuff from him
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:45 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil.b
i have a mate at work who has a few american LHD cars. I'll get the run down on the legal stuff from him
Nice one Neil.... much appreciated!

Try to enjoy your Monday at work.... if that's at all possible.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks like the rules may vary from state to state although I suspect there will be little difference between them.

Here are the rules for Victoria
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...48/0/VSI18.pdf