Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK - Who HAS to know?!!

Leaving UK - Who HAS to know?!!

Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future
Default Leaving UK - Who HAS to know?!!

For those that have already gone to Oz, do you have to officially tell anybody that you leaving (tax office?).....or do you (/can you)just bugger off?
regards
Nick
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:11 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Telling the tax office could be a good move as you might be liable for a refund.

Your tax payments would have been calculated based on the assumption that deductions were going to be made throughout the year on a regular basis (presumably once per month with your pay packet). Because you are leaving you might get a refund, although this is dependant upon when you leave, what your tax code is, etc.

Worth letting them know though...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:19 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK - Who HAS to know?!!

Originally posted by Sharpy67
For those that have already gone to Oz, do you have to officially tell anybody that you leaving (tax office?).....or do you (/can you)just bugger off?
regards
Nick
You need to stop your child benefit, if any, and they let the inland revenue know you're leaving. Also check your life assurance. Some companies will still cover you abroad as long as your premiums are still paid from a UK bank, others don't. If you're leaving any money in the UK, its also worth filling out the forms to get the interest tax free.

Jane
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

michaela is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine recently emigrated to South Africa he was self employed and didnt tell the tax office or inland revenue. It all depends on whether or not you plan on coming back. If you return within 5 years or leaving then you will still be traceable. After 5 years you arent.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:19 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

The only people I have contacted so far are our illustrious tax people. Funnily enough they actually have a form called 'Leaving the UK' and is form number P85. They are going to send me one so I can use it when the time comes (within the next 6 months if the house sells ok).

The Inland Revenue form order line is 08459 000 404. Give them a bell, ask for the form, wait for it to arrive, fill it in, then tell the tax man to ram it up his chuff and if you're really lucky you may get a rebate.

Hope this helps...........

Last edited by ianj; Feb 27th 2004 at 3:08 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ianj
The only people I have contacted so far are our illustrious tax people. Funnily enough they actually have a form called 'Leaving the UK' and is form number P85. They are going to send me one so I can use it when the time comes (within the next 6 months if the house sells ok).

The Inland Revenue form order line is 08459 000 404. Give them a bell, ask for the form, wait for it to arrive, fill it in, thell the tax man to ram it up his chuff and if you're really lucky you may get a rebate.

I've attached the form if anyone's interested. It appears to allow you to claim back any tax you've paid in the UK whilst you have been non-resident. The question I have is, as we're leaving on 6th April (smack on the start of the tax year) we won't ever have anything to claim due to no further income in the UK. So, do we
need to fill out the form??

I'm inclined to fill it out anyway, can't hurt...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
leaving uk tax form (p85).pdf (53.7 KB, 192 views)
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:52 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally mate, I'd fill it in.

All you have to lose is 20p in postage, if you send it 2nd class of course.

Better to be safe than sorry me thinks
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Department of Work and Pensions. Don't loose out on all that Nat Ins you have paid over the years.

Lesley
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

michaela is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ianj

The Inland Revenue form order line is 08459 000 404. Give them a bell, ask for the form, wait for it to arrive, fill it in, thell the tax man to ram it up his chuff and if you're really lucky you may get a rebate.

Ian can you help me, am really struggling at mo. I need to know where i lodge my 1066 visa application. I am being sponsored by a company and have to lodge at same place as them but they are in Oz I am in UK . Have looked at DIMIA website and u need a degree to understand it. Can you help at all.

Many Thanks

Michaela
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by michaela
Ian can you help me, am really struggling at mo. I need to know where i lodge my 1066 visa application. I am being sponsored by a company and have to lodge at same place as them but they are in Oz I am in UK . Have looked at DIMIA website and u need a degree to understand it. Can you help at all.

Many Thanks

Michaela
Michaela
Form 1066 is for a 457 temp business visa?
Nick
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

regards
Nick
Nick

I can remember looking at threads in the past which covered this so try a search, also in the immigration forum. Often they go under headings such as checklist of things to do before moving etc. As well as Inland Revenue and Dept of Work & Pensions there are obvious ones such as advising your bank, credit card company, insurance, assurance, electricity, gas, BT or phone provider, local council, Post Office (for re-directing mail), DVLC (refund of unused road tax, licence etc), pension fund ............etc, etc, etc.

As quite a few have mentioned, the getting of the visa is the easy part, the move and all things associated with it is the fun part.

Good luck!

OzTennis
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Michaela
Form 1066 is for a 457 temp business visa?
Nick
http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/business.htm

Try the business services link.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi Oztennis
Thanks for info.
I'm trying to establish what people have to know that you're not living in the UK anymore.
Things like banks and credit cards I was going to redirect to the parents address, unless that is, it is ok to give them an Australian address.
I have to admit that I didn't even know there was a department of work and pensions. Wonder how many other civil servant departments are hiding away?
regards
Nick
Old Feb 26th 2004, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oztennis
Thanks for info.
I'm trying to establish what people have to know that you're not living in the UK anymore.
Things like banks and credit cards I was going to redirect to the parents address, unless that is, it is ok to give them an Australian address.
I have to admit that I didn't even know there was a department of work and pensions. Wonder how many other civil servant departments are hiding away?
regards
Nick
Yep, as you say you can make a distinction between those you need to notify that you have moved house and those you need to notify that you have left the country. On the latter the main ones will be the tax, national insurance and pension people. It will be interesting to hear what others say about banks and credit cards and whether you can just change the address to Oz. We have Commonwealth Bank accounts and cards in Melbourne but everything is sent to our address in Scotland so at a guess I would the think the reverse can apply as well.

OzTennis
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

We have arranged to have our post redirected to our Australian address for 12 months. ( yes you can do it for an overseas address). We have tried to contact and cancel as many as we can think of but at least this means it doesn't matter if there is anyone we have forgotten. Also means your mail does not end up with someone else who could use all the details for fraudulent activities!! Not that I'm at all paranoid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.