Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK- Tax Back

Leaving the UK- Tax Back

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice
Talking Leaving the UK- Tax Back

I have just found out that i can claim tax back when i leave the UK (you all may know this as i seem to miss this kind of information all the time )...

All you need to do is go on the website www.hmrc.gov.uk and put in "P85" in the search section, print it off and send it off with your P45. It will be calculated and refunded to you.

Bargain! An extra £600 i didnt think we would be getting that helps!

5 Weeks and 6 Days till we fly!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

linds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nice
Default Re: Leaving the UK- Tax Back

thanx for that ive saved it in my favourites until its time to go every little helps x
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:47 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Yeah it's great if u leave work early enought to get your p45. I left 1 week before departure, p45 had to come from HR in totally different part of the country, so i had to phone them and change address to my mums, 2 months later, eventually p45 arrived, mum had to post off all correct documents, Same with OH as well.
Fiona x
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LittleHobo
I have just found out that i can claim tax back when i leave the UK (you all may know this as i seem to miss this kind of information all the time )...

All you need to do is go on the website www.hmrc.gov.uk and put in "P85" in the search section, print it off and send it off with your P45. It will be calculated and refunded to you.

Bargain! An extra £600 i didnt think we would be getting that helps!

5 Weeks and 6 Days till we fly!
hi i left work at the end of feb, near the end of the tax year do u think i would get owt back
many thanx
darren
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollieclaret
hi i left work at the end of feb, near the end of the tax year do u think i would get owt back
many thanx
darren
yes you'd probably get something.

assuming there was 5 weeks of the tax year left to go when u left, you'd get 5/52 x personal allowance-whatever that was-say 5000GBP= ~480GBP (provided you didn't have any outstanding tax issues).
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

you can earn up to 5200 beofre you are taxed, so even if you have worked the whole tax year you will get something back...

I have filled out the form already and as soon as my mum receives my p45 (as i wont get it in time) she will send it off....
Old Oct 24th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleHobo
you can earn up to 5200 beofre you are taxed, so even if you have worked the whole tax year you will get something back...
not if you've earned more than £5200.......
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

many thanx
darren
Darren, if you want to pm me your final leave date and total paid for the year I'll work it out for you if you want. (I'm an accountant so ethically bound not to disclose any of your details)

It won't be mega bucks, but you will be entitled to something. The thing I always found with Inland Revenue is if you tell them what you're due and provide them with a calculation you'll get the money a lot quicker.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi we have been debating over this too. We left work the end of April, so just at the start of a new tax year. We have not bothered to apply as thought it would be a waste of time. Anybody think any different.

Thanks Donna
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Its the beginning of the year its most worth it!

Unless you earn more than £60k you will get every penny you paid in tax in April back.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil
Hi we have been debating over this too. We left work the end of April, so just at the start of a new tax year. We have not bothered to apply as thought it would be a waste of time. Anybody think any different.

Thanks Donna

Yes, send one in. You should get your tax back - it may not be much but it's better than nothing (and better than the tax man having it)
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi thanks for replying but still abit unsure, if we left work April 2007, would it be tax year 2007 we would be claiming back?

Donna
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil

Thanks Donna
I sent mine off from Australia about a month ago - with p45. Yesterday I got a letter through saying as I was no longer in employment in the UK my tax code is now BR - thats emergency tax - this doesnt bother me as I have no intentions of going back too the UK has anyone else got this? I have had no mention of when and if I am intitled to a rebate - I left the UK in August and was in the Higher Tax bracket which I shouldn't have been.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna, its tax year 2007-2008 you need to look at.

emmy - if you have any residual income in the UK (house rental etc) then you will be on BR. If you don't don't worry about it. If however you didn't get a tax rebate, you should have but you need to apply for it.

The individuals concerned need to fill out the forms, but if anyone wants to have an idea of the rebate they're entitled to, quite happy to work it out for them.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks for the info, what do you need to work it out.

Donna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.