Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

Funny when mods are not expected to have an opinion all of their own

Who cares
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:41 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01

Moving to Australia was the biggest thing me and my hubby have ever done, we wanted a fresh start, but if things don't work out here, we have to go back to the UK, if we did what most people are doing on here, we would be stranded and left in a world of shit. There are risks with everything I suppose, some pay off, some don't, I hope they catch up with everybody at some point, hopefully it won't be at a bad time in their lives, got help if they landed in strife in Oz !!

We paid off all ours, not because I have morals where financial institutes and big companies are concerned I don't and wouldn't worry for a second had I knocked them.

But like you wanted to leave a clean slate.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:42 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Guys and gals, let's not let this thread degenerate into a personal slanging match and keep to the subject in hand please.

I don't want to close the thread due to people throwing rattles out of their pram
Depends if they paid for the pram or got it on interest free terms

About time people concentrated on their own finances rather than worry about others getting one over them. Each to their own - I'd rather sleep well at night.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fraser
We paid off all ours, not because I have morals where financial institutes and big companies are concerned I don't and wouldn't worry for a second had I knocked them.

But like you wanted to leave a clean slate.
Good on ya.

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:47 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

On the subject of civil debt, my ex buggered off out the country owing me £6k in child maintainence payments - CSA told me they wouldn't bother chasing him, and that to say goodbye to ever seeing that money again - now THAT is morally wrong!!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:48 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
.....wanted to leave a clean slate.
Yep.
Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Each to their own - I'd rather sleep well at night.
Yep.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:51 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
I thought you were supposed to be a moderator ! Didn' know it was all about taking sides, or is that a personal opinion your expressing, I forget now, does seem a private chat room sometimes, not a public forum !!!
Of course I am entitled to my own opinion. Moderation is a thankless and unpaid task carried out by a few long term active members of the forum who work behind the scenes dealing with spam, reported posts, duplicate trolling users and general thread admin.

My post was intended to keep this thread on track as to the legalities and practicalities of debt and the expat and not degenerate into the usual slanging match, as well as it being my own opinion. To be fair, its actually the best thread I've seen on that subject and to that end I would love to see it become a useful resource for the future and hope that it remains on track.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:05 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
..... To be fair, its actually the best thread I've seen on that subject and to that end I would love to see it become a useful resource for the future and hope that it remains on track.
The thread has also included the legal and moral perspective which is great as the two are a real consideration

Maybe we should ask Bernard Madoff to be guest speaker

On a serious note: If the world needs to learn from recent economic events it is that the two issues need to be brought back in to line. Legal institutions need to realign the legal perspective with the moral and protect all parties concerned, including those who inadvertently find themselves in debt for whatever reason. I don't think there are many people for whatever reason that haven't found themselves in debt facing hard times at one time or another. Many people would like to see genuine hardship accounted for and those people looked after. It is "criminal" to allow genuine hardship cases to fall over when people really need the help. Conversely it is also hard to watch people shaft the system just because they can. If the finance world is to take the current situation seriously then all these factors are equally important and we can't ignore any of them.

Something needs to change, that's for sure. It's heartbreaking what's happened in the world today.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:11 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
On the subject of civil debt, my ex buggered off out the country owing me £6k in child maintainence payments - CSA told me they wouldn't bother chasing him, and that to say goodbye to ever seeing that money again - now THAT is morally wrong!!
Sorry to read about that. Are you receiving any child support payments from him now?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:23 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

The thread has also included the legal and moral perspective which is great as the two are a real consideration

Maybe we should ask Bernard Madoff to be guest speaker

On a serious note: If the world needs to learn from recent economic events it is that the two issues need to be brought back in to line. Legal institutions need to realign the legal perspective with the moral and protect all parties concerned, including those who inadvertently find themselves in debt for whatever reason. I don't think there are many people for whatever reason that haven't found themselves in debt facing hard times at one time or another. Many people would like to see genuine hardship accounted for and those people looked after. It is "criminal" to allow genuine hardship cases to fall over when people really need the help. Conversely it is also hard to watch people shaft the system just because they can. If the finance world is to take the current situation seriously then all these factors are equally important and we can't ignore any of them.

Something needs to change, that's for sure. It's heartbreaking what's happened in the world today.
Agree totally and a good post, however the change must start right at the top starting with the heads of the financial sector. How can Joe Public be educated on his finances when the financial instituations are shafting everyone knowing full well the government will help out should the occasion arise. Northern Rock anyone?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by perksy
Agree totally and a good post, however the change must start right at the top starting with the heads of the financial sector. How can Joe Public be educated on his finances when the financial instituations are shafting everyone knowing full well the government will help out should the occasion arise. Northern Rock anyone?

Spot on. Everyone, especially the financial heads of institutions.

The Government unfortunately had to help out Northern Rock otherwise the everyday person would have found themselves in the shit. Where the real problem lies is that NR should be made to pay back whatever it cost to keep it going and the bloody fat cat Directors who got it where it is should be made to pay back their big bonuses or else keep the business going with clear agreed benchmarks to ensure success, with limited payback for getting it back on track. They too should be made to pay back their debt to the government and society for bleeding the company dry with their bonus schemes based on non existent "real" asset building. They robbed the shareholders dry through talking up the shares. Let the robbing barstewards pay back and prove themselves their worth.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:40 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulry
Sorry to read about that. Are you receiving any child support payments from him now?
Not a sausage!!! My son is now 11, and this happened when he was 6, so not only is there £6k up to him being 6, but there is also another 5 years where I should have been getting paid!!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Not a sausage!!! My son is now 11, and this happened when he was 6, so not only is there £6k up to him being 6, but there is also another 5 years where I should have been getting paid!!
That's very annoying. The CSL (I think they've disbanded now) were only interested in recovering money that the state has had to pay you and your child/ren. My sister suffered a similar situation (she lives in Cape Town and he moved back to the UK). She engaged someone to sort it out for her. Now he has no say in the matter - it get's deducted directly from his pay and transferred to her in South Africa.

You'll never see the money that he's not paid you to date but you can potentially make sure that he coughs up from now until your son is 21. If you like I can find out who my sister engaged to sort it out - I know it was done in South Africa but the methods are probably the same. PM me if you want me to find out for you.

Regards,

Paul
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devlin
Yes it is stealing. You are trying to use semantics to justify it. If believing not shirking your debt responsibilities makes me a "do-gooder" then so be it!
It sounds to me that you don't even know what theft is. Go and look it up but for your benefit theft is:

"To dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanetly deprive."

In order to be convicted of a theft charge the prosecutor has to prove the following:

1. There is an act of dishonesty
2. There is property that belongs to someone else
3. Property has been appropriated
4. Intent to keep said property permanently
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by POW148
It is because of people like her that make us honest people pay extra when dealing with financial institutes. They factor all this "Bad Debt" and costs involved in recovering the debt into their own costs and of course, we as the end users, pay that bill.

Barney
That is rubbish. The debt gets written of as a bad debt and claimed against tax/insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.